New oil formulations, camshaft wear. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2004, 02:36 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New oil formulations, camshaft wear.

This was brought up by Cstraub recently but I found this information and thought I would pass it on to the people here.

http://www.goodson.com/scripts/messa...sages/457.html

tom

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2004, 05:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Good questions Tom.

I read all the previous thread that Cstraub posted and added some info to it myself. I've been looking for all the info that is available on the subject, its slowly beginning to surface as the facts and testing becomes available.
I'll have to diss-agree with the second post from your link.

Additives that would have protected/lubricated the flat tappet camshaft were eliminated to save the catalitic converter and our environment. We no longer need them because our cam and lifters are rollerized.

The additives that are usually refered to are zinc and phosphorous. They have not been totally removed as of yet, but its content in the oil has been reduced some, and from what I hear, another reduction is on the way.

Most data available shows that the zinc content is still around .13% to .15% with some of the new oils having been reduced to .05% zinc. Just don't know which ones yet! LOL

If one looks at the oil content charts that are on the net, the zinc and phosphorous content is still there. I cannot see how these will ever be totally removed from oil just because the roller cams don't need them anymore. The main and rod bearings in ALL engines still need protection from "metal to metal contact" which, at this time, is provided by the zinc and phosphorous content in the oil. Of course there may come a time when something better/different will come along.

"Extreme pressure" additives are not normally found in automobile oil. Those additives are chlorine and sulfur and show up mainly in gear oils and greases.

The use of GM's EOS is a plus for breakin, but "supposedly", once breakin is over, the low zinc oils still work fine.
As always recommended, use the cam manufacturers lube on the cam and lifters to assure good breakin.

Here are some interesting zinc and phosphorous contents of some popular oils.

Last edited by Jmark; 05-14-2004 at 05:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.