New paint forum - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New paint forum

I think a new forum just for paint would be a good idea. Paint questions could be there and bodywork question could be just that. I've noticed that about any post for any boby work deteriorates into a argument over which paint to use. We all have our favorites. If its in it's own forum the info on just body and fender work will be a lot more pleasant to read. I've contacted Jon and he thinks it will be a good idea. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

I'm for a separate thread. But, I'm waiting to see how this idea is going to connect with the thread that's in the "dump" right now.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:16 AM

The dump post

I did not see that see that when I purposes this idea, I just got tired of the **** going on in the forum. My point is I know what paint I'm going to use, I just want info on how to prep the body to the point of painting. Let's here from some more people on a new forum.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Last photo:

I agree. Most of the questions ask are about the repair, prep, and painting. Not what brand to use. I use Dupont. Dupont makes a good product and I can get it close by. The people at the paint store I buy from give me excellent service and plenty of good info and advice. Most of the problems that are addressed in the forum have little or nothing to do with the brand of paint. An experienced painter can shoot a good paint job with a Harbor Freight spray gun, while a first timer with a $800 gun doesn't have a chance. I'm not sure why anyone would pay a high dollar for 'mail order' paint when there's a good paint store down the street or in town. I had a problem with Dupont paint one time and my jobber had a Dupont rep from Las Vegas in my shop to solve it in two days. He showed me what to do and what I needed. Then, Dupont picked up the cost of what I needed. My paint shop is excellent with matching colors when needed, also. You can't get that kind of 'right now' service in the mail.

I'm not trying to sell Dupont. Nor, am I bashing SPI. I'm sure SPI makes a good product. I have no reason to think otherwise. But, I'm sure SPI is enjoying the free marketing and profits from our "BODY/EXTERIOR" forum.

I think there were some good points made on the thread that was sent to the dump, and I believe the moderators were wrong in closing off that discussion. I hope this thread opens it up again.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:

Paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board here you go guys... It's a sub section under Body - Exterior

MD
Community Support
Old 06-10-2013, 01:33 PM

Sub forum

Thank you. I hope it will get used.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucknut View Post
I agree. Most of the questions ask are about the repair, prep, and painting. Not what brand to use. I use Dupont. Dupont makes a good product and I can get it close by. The people at the paint store I buy from give me excellent service and plenty of good info and advice. Most of the problems that are addressed in the forum have little or nothing to do with the brand of paint. An experienced painter can shoot a good paint job with a Harbor Freight spray gun, while a first timer with a $800 gun doesn't have a chance. I'm not sure why anyone would pay a high dollar for 'mail order' paint when there's a good paint store down the street or in town. I had a problem with Dupont paint one time and my jobber had a Dupont rep from Las Vegas in my shop to solve it in two days. He showed me what to do and what I needed. Then, Dupont picked up the cost of what I needed. My paint shop is excellent with matching colors when needed, also. You can't get that kind of 'right now' service in the mail.

I'm not trying to sell Dupont. Nor, am I bashing SPI. I'm sure SPI makes a good product. I have no reason to think otherwise. But, I'm sure SPI is enjoying the free marketing and profits from our "BODY/EXTERIOR" forum.

I think there were some good points made on the thread that was sent to the dump, and I believe the moderators were wrong in closing off that discussion. I hope this thread opens it up again.
Sorry Guys, I was MIA for a while and must have missed the thread that went to "The Dump".

With respect to supporting a local paint supplier, I'm all in favor of that in a big way and would not mind paying more for a product providing I get the service, respect and technical information I need. That being said, many paint jobbers don't hire people with the technical expertise to offer advice or problem solving ability. I've stood in line waiting to get some material with a person in front of me getting poor direction from the counter person that would have ended in a total disaster. The person went on to recommend mixing products that had absolutely no business being used in the same application. On the same token, I've seen counter personnel that have given customers very sound advice along with a step by step tutorial. I guess what it boils down to is people, like in any business, people can be your biggest asset or your biggest nightmare and if you have a paint supplier that can satisfy your needs, they are worth supporting.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
Trucknut (06-11-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

OK..This new forum is set up and I guess its up to us mods to move paint related subjects into that forum. Where do I draw the line about what to move?....Are primer problems considered paint problems? Is color sanding and buffing a paint related subject?

Will start moving stuff, if we screw up, let us know

Budget RVs
Old 06-11-2013, 03:48 AM

Paint

If asked what primer to use-buy, paint. Do I prime before filler, body. What paint buffs out the best, paint. How to buff paint, body. My opinion.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:08 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41 Buick custom View Post
If asked what primer to use-buy, paint. Do I prime before filler, body. What paint buffs out the best, paint. How to buff paint, body. My opinion.
I'm sorry, I'm confused, is this a question or is this what you want the new paint forum to be about?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
A paint only forum is NOT needed, not in any way what so ever!

Brian
Old 06-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

If it's to try and stop argument over which paint to use,, I think that's funny..

You won't stop fight on the internet..

Next we will need to have a section of every name brand of paint know to man... Maybe that will help..
Old 06-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41 Buick custom View Post
I did not see that see that when I purposes this idea, I just got tired of the **** going on in the forum. My point is I know what paint I'm going to use, I just want info on how to prep the body to the point of painting. Let's here from some more people on a new forum.
Maybe what we need then is "prep" sub forum under the "paint" sub forum because in the 30 plus years I've been painting I was always told, and agree, that prep is he most important part of a paint job.

Or, the more I think about it...we could just leave it "paint and body". If somebody is looking to answer questions on prep work but doesn't paint, why would he check to see if he can help somebody in the paint forum...seems people might be loosing out on information with all the sub forums.

Ray
Old 06-11-2013, 12:49 PM

Paint forum

I guess yor right, you'll never stop arguing on the Internet. You have people that are so ignorant that if you disagree with them they try to bully you into it. There's a hundred different paint products out there, some you like and some you don't. I see in body and paint its started up again. I like PPG paint. If you don't I'm not going bully you about it. Let's face it, that's just what it is. Read the most recent posts what would you call it. If we keep the never ending bickering out of the forum it's going to be a lot more enjoyable to read. Let the name calling begin. That's another good thing about the Internet, you can call someone anything you want, you'll never see them face to face. I take all the credit (blame) for the new sub forum. Go after me and leave everyone else alone, I got big shoulders. Pm me if you want to actually talk to me. I'll give you my phone number.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I applaud you for trying, seriously, if different things where never tried, things would always remain the same. I just don't see a need in this case.

I like PPG, Dupont, Nexa, SPI, SW, RM, MartinSR....sorry if I missed any of them, they all work. When you compare the same quality systems, I would challenge anyone to go in a parking lot and tell me which car was painted with which product...There's probably a better chance of winning the lottery getting this correct.

Ray
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.