New to painting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2005, 02:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New to painting

<--- this is how I feel about painting so far. I need to know if there's a decent guide out there on how to paint my vehicle (this one doesn't have to be perfect, just a 1984 Dodge pickup) as I got a quote to knock out all the dents and sand/paint it . . .and almost had a heart attack. My paint jobs in the past have consisted of the good ole fashioned rednecked Primer color for all my vehicles, except my pickup . . . and I want to do a good job on this one. I have the shop, the tools, and the want will and desire . . .but nobody to guide me through it. Any books you folks could suggest would be great! Thanks!

Ashley

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Go buy a book on the subject............. 90% of a decent paint job is in the preparation..................... Mixing the paint properly is also a big part of it. Other than that, it's practice, practice, practice..............................

Budget RVs
Old 03-12-2005, 06:43 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

go buy a book? GO BUY A BOOK???
Everything you could want to know about painting is here. and then theres some stuff you don't want to know....

MartinSR and Randy Ferguson among others have some really good articles in the body section and don't forget the knowledge base.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy larry
go buy a book? GO BUY A BOOK???
Everything you could want to know about painting is here. and then theres some stuff you don't want to know....

MartinSR and Randy Ferguson among others have some really good articles in the body section and don't forget the knowledge base.

Right on!
Save your money on the painting books, I have never seen a good one yet.
Most of them are written buy someone that is only giving their advice based on one product that they are familiar with or brained washed with.
Martinsr made a statement a while back that a book publisher would not touch him, that tells me there is something wrong with the publishing business
and knowledge is of no issue.
Anything you want to know is on here and what you will find is the best of the best is writing on here in many specialized areas.
No book can cover whats on here.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:46 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

So, don't buy a book then.......................................

Budget RVs
Old 03-13-2005, 10:50 AM

Hiya, there is nothing wrong with buying a book. Although I have found these forums to be totally awesome when It comes to Information, and the MartinSR Posts are Great, but I still myself need to see pictures sometimes so I know exactly what to look for.

I just the other day jumped into a paint project for my Mercury. I have never painted a car before so I was quite apprehensive about doing it. I went out and bought a book and read it front to back. I then jumped on here and compared notes. Between the MartinSR Posts and the book I bought I felt really confident about the task at hand. I bought all the materials and "layed it out wet and let it flow". Surprisingly it came out absolutely beautiful. People are surprised it was my first paint job. I even did a section on the rear quarter for the first time and it came out great. Basically I would recommend getting a book then compare with what other people say. In the automotive business I have come to find it all comes down to Interpretation, everyones doing the same job, they just have their own way of doing it.

A great set of books to buy that you can find on the Internet or your Local Speed shop are made by HP Books.

1.) Paint and Body Handbook. #HP1082---- ISBN# 1-55788-082-4

2.) Automotive Paint HandBook. #HP1291---- ISBN# 1-55788-291-6

These should help you out alot, especially with all the terminalogy floating around. Good Luck with your Pickup.

Buck

Last edited by MontegoMX; 03-13-2005 at 01:30 PM. Reason: :)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.