Hot Rod Forum banner

New to painting

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  MontegoMX 
#1 ·
:drunk: <--- this is how I feel about painting so far. I need to know if there's a decent guide out there on how to paint my vehicle (this one doesn't have to be perfect, just a 1984 Dodge pickup) as I got a quote to knock out all the dents and sand/paint it . . .and almost had a heart attack. My paint jobs in the past have consisted of the good ole fashioned rednecked Primer color for all my vehicles, except my pickup . . . and I want to do a good job on this one. I have the shop, the tools, and the want will and desire . . .but nobody to guide me through it. Any books you folks could suggest would be great! Thanks!

Ashley

#2 ·
Go buy a book on the subject............. 90% of a decent paint job is in the preparation..................... Mixing the paint properly is also a big part of it. Other than that, it's practice, practice, practice..............................

#4 ·
crazy larry said:
go buy a book? GO BUY A BOOK???
Everything you could want to know about painting is here. and then theres some stuff you don't want to know....

MartinSR and Randy Ferguson among others have some really good articles in the body section and don't forget the knowledge base.

Right on!
Save your money on the painting books, I have never seen a good one yet.
Most of them are written buy someone that is only giving their advice based on one product that they are familiar with or brained washed with.
Martinsr made a statement a while back that a book publisher would not touch him, that tells me there is something wrong with the publishing business
and knowledge is of no issue.
Anything you want to know is on here and what you will find is the best of the best is writing on here in many specialized areas.
No book can cover whats on here.

#6 · (Edited)
Hiya, there is nothing wrong with buying a book. Although I have found these forums to be totally awesome when It comes to Information, and the MartinSR Posts are Great, but I still myself need to see pictures sometimes so I know exactly what to look for.

I just the other day jumped into a paint project for my Mercury. I have never painted a car before so I was quite apprehensive about doing it. I went out and bought a book and read it front to back. I then jumped on here and compared notes. Between the MartinSR Posts and the book I bought I felt really confident about the task at hand. I bought all the materials and "layed it out wet and let it flow". Surprisingly it came out absolutely beautiful. People are surprised it was my first paint job. I even did a section on the rear quarter for the first time and it came out great. Basically I would recommend getting a book then compare with what other people say. In the automotive business I have come to find it all comes down to Interpretation, everyones doing the same job, they just have their own way of doing it. :)

A great set of books to buy that you can find on the Internet or your Local Speed shop are made by HP Books.

1.) Paint and Body Handbook. #HP1082---- ISBN# 1-55788-082-4

2.) Automotive Paint HandBook. #HP1291---- ISBN# 1-55788-291-6

These should help you out alot, especially with all the terminalogy floating around. Good Luck with your Pickup.

Buck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.