Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   New at painting, need some advice on equipment (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/new-painting-need-some-advice-equipment-185584.html)

vickmorrow64 10-06-2010 06:26 AM

New at painting, need some advice on equipment

Just purchased a used a two stage compressor 5hp 22 amp motor with no cfm ratings - max psi is 170 I assume it is 12+.Can get a good deal on a starting line 2 gun kit with touchup gun and regular gun. Considering the following options:
New Harbor Freight (HF) Purple gun for primer
New Starting line gun with 1.3 mm tip for base coat (bc) or single stage (ss)
? for clearcoat (cc)
New Starting line touchup gun for door jambs, etc,.

New Startline gun for primer 1.8mm tip
Used Sharpe Platinum for bc, ss
? for clearcoat
New StartingLine touchup gun for door jambs, etc,.

Issue the HF purple gun, that I see online, does not come with the 1.8mm tip as part of the price.
I am a rookie , any guns run slower than others?
How adequate is the StartingLine gun with 1.3mm tip for bs/ss, especially for a rookie?
Assumption - two stage compressor should handle most guns

What is missing is a gun to apply clearcoat. Have 3 cars to paint(convt, sedan and wagon) so would consider spending up to $300 for the cc gun. Any suggestions? Thx in advance

milo 10-07-2010 02:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
...you have the guns you need .. your next smartest move for the dough would be a good desicant filled air dryer/cleaner ..

(pass on the 2 gun "deal" and get a single gun with a 1.4 tip for both base and clear)

mount it about 3 feet off the ground,, you won't be

disapointed ...

***Remember to rinse out new guns with wash thiner cause they come oily inside from the factory...

http://www.toolschest.com/wtd4957.ht...e-001b2166c62d

:thumbup:

edit , shop around a little .. you should be able to find that 3 piece unit for half that...

OneMoreTime 10-07-2010 02:19 PM

The inexpensive guns will only come with one tip and i have found that I really needed a primer gun and base clear gun and even better is to have one for base and one for clear as each gun will have a different adjustment for the products that you are using..having to readjust your gun for each product is a pain..

Sam

deadbodyman 10-09-2010 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milo
...you have the guns you need .. your next smartest move for the dough would be a good desicant filled air dryer/cleaner ..

(pass on the 2 gun "deal" and get a single gun with a 1.4 tip for both base and clear)

mount it about 3 feet off the ground,, you won't be

disapointed ...

***Remember to rinse out new guns with wash thiner cause they come oily inside from the factory...

http://www.toolschest.com/wtd4957.ht...e-001b2166c62d

:thumbup:

edit , shop around a little .. you should be able to find that 3 piece unit for half that...

I couldnt agree more...Clean air is THE most important issue....HF has some good deals on filters ....

vickmorrow64 10-22-2010 03:35 PM

Thx for advice on dryer and cleaning new gun. Deal with Startingline guns fell through. Seeing what discount I can get off a Devilbiss FinishLine 3 Spray Gun (3 tips 1.3, 1.5 and 1.7) thru Sherwin Williams( I belong to some org thats got a deal with them), Guy said he'd let me know Monday. They go for 169 online and 199 at local paint auto paint store - kinda curious where Sherwin Williams price will fall - actually sold a tranny to offest most of the costs. Next step is primer and touchup gun. Have 3 cars and 2 sets of wheels to paint and a whole lot of learning... Plan on checking out Harbor Freight on weekend - they have a grinder on sale for 17.99 and will check guns and filters while I'm there

vickmorrow64 10-22-2010 03:41 PM

OneMoreTime,

I'm confused about the separate gun for bc and cc - don't you have to clean it after every use and have to pull out the adjustment screws(fan width/volume)? So wouldn't you have to adjust both of them anyway when you reinsert screws?

I understand the part that you might want separate guns to avoid any accidents ie shoot leftover base paint ( from a crappy cleaning job) on clear coat

OneMoreTime 10-22-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vickmorrow64
OneMoreTime,

I'm confused about the separate gun for bc and cc - don't you have to clean it after every use and have to pull out the adjustment screws(fan width/volume)? So wouldn't you have to adjust both of them anyway when you reinsert screws?

I understand the part that you might want separate guns to avoid any accidents ie shoot leftover base paint ( from a crappy cleaning job) on clear coat

Each of my guns is set for a certain type of material so when I clean that particular gun I reset it to where it needs to be. the settings for Base is different than for clear and doing that saves me a gun tuning session each time I use the gun. More of a production deal actually..JMHO

Sam

vickmorrow64 10-28-2010 08:24 PM

Just purchased my first spray gun a used Sharpe Platinum , plan on using it for base coat (has a 1.3 tip) - should get it next week. Been doing a lot of reading and leaning towards a SATA 3000 RP or an Iwata LPH-400LV 1.4 for clear coat and a SataMiniJet 3 or 4 for touchup work. Not sure yet on primer gun - probably whatever I find best bargain on craigslist. Anyone ever use a Campbell Hausfeld DH7500 with a 1.8 tip for primer? Also any advice on painting wheels? May not obtain the minijet for some time - can I use the Sharpe Platinum to apply base coat on these wheels? I have a set of 14" wheels that need painted Astral Silver. They guy I used in the past mentioned he used an adhesion promoter - assuming wheels are clean and I apply adhesion promoter - do I wait for it to dry before applying base coat? Any feedback is appreciated

ron82 10-30-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vickmorrow64
Just purchased my first spray gun a used Sharpe Platinum , plan on using it for base coat (has a 1.3 tip) - should get it next week. Been doing a lot of reading and leaning towards a SATA 3000 RP or an Iwata LPH-400LV 1.4 for clear coat and a SataMiniJet 3 or 4 for touchup work. Not sure yet on primer gun - probably whatever I find best bargain on craigslist. Anyone ever use a Campbell Hausfeld DH7500 with a 1.8 tip for primer? Also any advice on painting wheels? May not obtain the minijet for some time - can I use the Sharpe Platinum to apply base coat on these wheels? I have a set of 14" wheels that need painted Astral Silver. They guy I used in the past mentioned he used an adhesion promoter - assuming wheels are clean and I apply adhesion promoter - do I wait for it to dry before applying base coat? Any feedback is appreciated

You really should use the 1.4 for the b/c It's also best for the Acrylic Enamel, just my opinion. A decent gun is best but there's so many variables when painting. Humidity, pressure, temp ect. i imagine you've heard this before if it doesn't atomize correctly you'll get orange peel. less then 1.4 long job, more then 1.4 a mess. Just thought this may help you some. or at least i hope it does, I didn't read all the posts here but i imagine there's more then enough to get you going. Ron.