New Photos up in my gallery - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2004, 07:13 PM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New Photos up in my gallery

I finished making a new radiator top hose today after going to 5 parts houses and not being able to find a hose that matched. I had the option of buying one of the ebay kits with the flex hose but I didn't like the idea of having to glue a part on the radiator. I took the old hose and made a template and bought a hose that had the proper curve out of the inlet, it also had just enough straight to make the other coupling. Then I went to the local muffler shop and had them bend up the new part for me. It looks like it's going to work great. It's made out of aluminum tailpipe so it's kind thick. Any suggestions?

Regards
Mark

Advertisement

Last edited by Jag Daddy; 04-17-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2004, 07:17 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

looks great.

don't worry about the hoses making you a ricer, hell, i have yellow ignition wires.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Finding the right radiator hose is one of hot rodding's great pleasures. Bend up a welding rod in the right shape, measure the nozzles on the pump and radiator then go to the auto parts store and start comparing your wire to the seemingly infinite variety of hoses on the wall until you find the exact piece that will fit your rod. I have yet to fail in finding a perfect match. Often it is a segment I have to cut out of the middle of a long curvy hose but I always find one.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:27 AM

Last photo:

Yeah I thought that too, it had a hose on it originally but the places I went too had nothing even close. So I figured what the heck, how hard could it be? Now I'm going to have to find a reasonable source for 1.5 inch 304 stainless. (ya know I gotta polish it too!) The pipe in there now is aluiminized steel. I don't know if it will rust or cause problems. I would think the anti freeze will minimize the rust but I would have more peace of mind knowing I'm not going to plug the radiator up. Since this was a prototype I didn't want to bend up some expensive stuff. I was thinking of having a bung welded in on the bottom just in front of the rubber hose that connects to the radiator so I could fit a temp switch in for an electric fan circuit. What do you think?

Regards
Mark
Old 04-18-2004, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

go to stainless

hi jag

very nice work on the setup...and if your at all like me- i would worry about rust as well--then do your polished ss piece...also it must be a gas running that 350-in that jag body, hows all the balance-front to rear...

as allways nice work--even gave me a idea-on my impossible lower hose...

thanks
alaskan
Old 04-18-2004, 02:50 PM

what about crome sink piping you can gewt at the hardware store if you could have hose running to straight pipe??
Jesse
Old 04-18-2004, 04:49 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

I would think with the amount of sbc to Jag conversions being done, someone would be making hoses for them. Looks cool though Mark.

Mike
Old 04-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Looks good. Also looks like you did some straightening of the hoses and such since your last reply. Looks fairly tidy to me.

Chris
Old 04-18-2004, 11:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Looks good. Also looks like you did some straightening of the hoses and such since your last reply. Looks fairly tidy to me.
Thanks Chris, all you guys with your engine bays always inspire me to do more on the engine. Yep I have moved things around and there is a lot more coming. The red silicone hose made it easier to see problem areas and fix them, I also have new polished aluminum valve covers, air cleaner (if I can get it to fit). I'm also waiting on my new aluminum fan shroud to get welded up, once that's in then in go the stainless steel overflows and washer tanks. I just hope it runs after all that

Quote:
I would think with the amount of sbc to Jag conversions being done, someone would be making hoses for them. Looks cool though Mark.
Well you would think but their all a little different, some are 350's with TPI, and some are carbed. Each one is a little different. Thanks Mike

Quote:
what about chrome sink piping you can get at the hardware store if you could have hose running to straight pipe??
Wouldn't stand up to the bending machine or the water pressure.

Quote:
very nice work on the setup...and if your at all like me- i would worry about rust as well--then do your polished ss piece...also it must be a gas running that 350-in that jag body, hows all the balance-front to rear...
Thanks Alaskan, Yeah the car is a BLAST to drive! The car is actually 300 lbs lighter than it was with the Jag 6 in it! It will pull in about 20 mpg too. That's not bad for a 3600 lb car. I like the fact it's different than a lot of conversions around too, it's basically like driving a 4 door Vette! As far as the engine goes it's actually it's a 400 small block, so you can see why cooling it is a priority with me. I plan on making the lower hose as well this way. If I can find a good source for 1.5 inch 304 Stainless I'll let you know.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm sorry I ask so many questions at times, I just hate to have to do things more than once!

Regards to all
Mark
Old 04-19-2004, 12:10 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

ive got some **food grade** stainless, if you know of a way to tell what kind it is, and if theres somplace u know that can bend it, i think i could be persuaded to hook u up w/ a section .....
Old 04-19-2004, 12:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
if you know of a way to tell what kind it is, and if there's someplace u know that can bend it, i think i could be persuaded to hook u up w/ a section .....
Well I had my local muffler shop bend it for me, I'm not sure exactly what food grade is. It might have to do with not containing any toxic materials. Thanks for the offer though. I found a place not to far from my house that sells polished 304 as remnants. I'm going to try and get the stuff bent and in tonight. Watch for more photos. I also intend to bo the bottom hose as well this way, one advantage I can already see is being able to put the hose right where you want it, also being able to weld to it will allow me to add a bung for a temp sensor. I'm also wondering if it will also cool the water a little more because it transfers heat better than rubber. Aluminum is another option and it would transfer heat even faster. Heck who knows weld up some cooling fins on the pipe and you might have something.

Regards
Mark
Old 04-19-2004, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

Looks good Mark! But where the heck did you find killer orange vacuum hose! LOL And PLEASE!! cut the ends off those orange wire ties too! ROFLMAO!!

another Mark
Old 04-19-2004, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Looks good Mark! But where the heck did you find killer orange vacuum hose! LOL And PLEASE!! cut the ends off those orange wire ties too! ROFLMAO!!
Wise Guy

Hehehe Actually it's RED silicone hose, I guess blue would have looked nicer but the red with the British Racing Green car matched better. I haven't cut the ends off the wire tires because I'm using those only to hold them in place until I get all the hose run. A bag of those little ones were only ,99 cents so they are expendable!

So now I'll go to my room, I've suffered humiliation from my peers

Actually I had a minor set back the 304 polished stainless I bought wouldn't bend right, it just crushed. I need to find someone with a mandrel bender I guess. So it's back to the prototype for now.

Regards
Mark

Last edited by Jag Daddy; 04-19-2004 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:57 PM

Last photo:

I'm not positive, but if you run distilled water along with antifreeze I dont think you will have rust problems. Anyone have any more info on that?
Old 04-20-2004, 04:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I'm not positive, but if you run distilled water along with antifreeze I don't think you will have rust problems. Anyone have any more info on that?
I think deionized water would be better if I could find it. I think with the rust inhibitors in anti freeze I'll be ok for know until I can get my 304 mandrel bent.

Regards
Mark

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.