Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - new pics of the 1962 Impala
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 05:17 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yeah, and......I root for the home hobbiest not a big deal. I am thrilled there are people who can have cars done where you work so you get to do that cool stuff while getting paid, I really am. But I dig the home hobbiest getting it done too, those two worlds can live in harmony Henry.

Brian
Brian, you are so right...So often it seems as though the people that spend a large amount of money on a car, house or what ever their heart desires get shunned or even looked down upon. I'm not in a position to own one of those $300K restorations or customs, however, I applaud the people that have the passion and the resources to build or have their dream built for them. These people may not have the ability or even the vision to personally see a project through from start to finish on there own and need the technicians, like Henry, that do. This doesn't take away from their passion and I believe it should add passion to anyone who enjoys the hobby.

For those who feel that a person with deep pockets and has a car built for them isn't a true enthusiast or sincere Ambassador of the car "cult" needs to ask themselves a question...that question being, If they had excess resources to the point where a large investment in anything that they desire wouldn't adversely affect their life style, would they themselves not do it? I know I would.

We've all gone to shows and seen that over the top build that makes us stop and just admire pure craftsmanship, engineering, passion and that intensive attention to detail. Myself, I look at these pieces of art and my first question is "who built it", not how much did it cost and when I ask that question I'm expecting the answer to be "well so and so did the body and I had the drive train done by these guys and the interior was designed and built by...". I respect the owner for giving credit where credit is due, (as the person did who owned the Mustang that "Mr.4speed" built, he publicly thanked Dennis on this forum...I admire that).

On the other side of the coin, what I don't respect (and there are many out there) is the guy that farms out an entire build and tries to take all the credit himself. This person may have had the resources to finance a build but, if he tries to take the glory, I don't believe he is a true car person. This is the guy that I feel doesn't belong, I also believe his passion is for self gratification and not to promote and advance the world of automotive restoration and customization.

To sum it up, if it wasn't for people with deep pockets and the automotive passion, we wouldn't see what's possible. When we in the trenches see what's possible, we can improvise and figure out ways to do it cheaper with the same or sometimes even achieve a better effect. After all, very often, it was a talented technician that built what the person with deep pockets envisioned, or what the technician envisioned and suggested to the person with these deep pockets. Brian, I feel that these two worlds should not only live in harmony but must live in harmony. Without each other, the advancements would be a lot slower. For those people with all these resources please remember, give credit where credit is due...if you don't, your not a car person, your a glory grabber and we have you figured out very quickly.

Ray