new plan - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 07:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

new plan

I have a 1982 camaro berlinetta, Its a vary solid car that needs tlc.
And some upgrades. I always wanted a iroc and this prety much fell in my lap, I love the car so Im in now. I was really into cars and motors when i married young, kids blah blah...Divorced now and find I want to get back to my true love Cars...
I want to add some ground effects, add some hp and a few other mod's and enjoy...
At first i was shooting around 400 hp. Now realizing thats to much.
I want to be able to break them loose run a couple cars at the stop light, no 1/4 mile races.. Just a smooth running cam induced hum coming from the hood and the wide open road.
Im sure many of you now the feeling.
Now rthat Im older I actually have the equipmant and money to do what i would like. I dont want to overbuild because im sure if I continue this is just starting..LOL So I have a 305 that was sold to me 200.00 bucks only one problem its a 305 that had tpi out of a 1988 firbird I was told it was a 5.7 v-8....old news... Its completly stripped down ready to be dipped... With the story above I need some opinions.
My plan was... A comp cam,vortex heads, air gap manifold, 650 carb,Oil cooler was already there, and some headers. best I can tell from friends is that should be about 350 hp. I was told today on the simulated dyno it shows 348 at 5500 rpm. Around 329 ft lbs torq.. so plain and simple what is your opinion on getting the power to clean a wipe out a real iroc and doing without overkill and problems all the time?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

its going to be seriously difficult to get 350 ponies out of a 305. What are you putting into it?!

K
Old 09-15-2004, 05:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Dump the 305. It's a grocery getter motor and doesn't have the bore to stroke ratio to allow easy hp gains. Go with a 350, they're a dime a dozen and can easily make 365-400 streetable hp without major or outrageous mods. Remember the 63 Vette had a 327 with 365 horse from the factory so squeezing a little more out of a 350 is pretty much a piece of cake.

Centerline
Old 09-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Do you still have the TPI unit or was that already gone when you got the 305?

The Irocs that came with the TPI 350 united (which I dont believed was offered until 87 . . . was a 305 before that . . . exept like 50 limited releases) only had 225 HP and about 270 lt.ft of torque. While I dont think it would be easy to turn that 305 into any sort of monster you should be able to create something that can do away with the Irocs.

I recently discovered that the Z from the Iroc-z (which I had someone boasting about once) simply stood for Z-rated tires.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

It's probably a 305, but for reference a 5.7 liter is a 350! I had an Iroc that i put a stock crate engine 305 from the factory back in and added things like a better breathing exhaust, Edelbrock intake and carb, and an HEI. It would get up and move real good and everyone never believed that it was a 305..."that has to be a 350".........cause it ran so well. Good luck on whatever you do. But, if the funds are available, get a 350!!! You will be ponies ahead with little effort. I say......GO FOR THE 400 HORSE.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:23 PM

TPI

yes i have the tpi, i dont have the computer that runs it but I do have everything else, I really dont want the hassle of the tpi and trying to change evrything over. I really dont know much about them.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

While its not too difficult a transfer I understand your view on it. However just keep in mind the potential of that system to make power while maintaining gasmileage. Hang on to it just incase down the road you change your mind. If you do, I and many others on here can help you through the setup.

And just as a side note - I do way less maintenence and check on my TPI system than I ever did on the carb setup. Its nice to be able to plug in a scanner and know EXACTLY whats going on. Not that it cant be done with a carb but it makes things a whole lot easier.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.