Hot Rod Forum banner

New primer gun

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  baddbob 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about a new primer gun for awhile and a couple of weeks ago I got the new Eastwood catalog and on the cover was a DeVilbiss hvlp 2 gun set for $100, so I called and ordered it. While I was waiting for the gun to come, we took the body of the Chevelle off the frame and Steve decided to get it sand blasted. The same day we got the frame back my guns came along with the SPI epoxy primer I had ordered. Well this was a good time to try out both new products and I am very pleased with both. First off, let me say this primer is sweet. I don't know if it was the gun, because it was new or the primer it self, but this stuff goes on so much better than any other epoxy I've used. everything went just right and it laid down real smooth. I'll be using this all the time from now on. The gun was easy to adjust and set up, for a cheap gun it will serve me well. I won't paint with it, I'm not saying that it wouldn't do a good job, but thats not what I bought it for, I bought it for primer and thats all. So over all I've had a couple of good days.

#2 ·
That's a good deal on the guns- 2 for $100! It's amazing how tools have dropped in price over the years. I need to give the SPI products a try, heard nothing but good about them. It sure is a good feeling when the work is done and satisfaction level is achieved or exceeded, Here's to more days like that :thumbup:

#3 ·
I saw that too and for the set IS a great deal especially for someone looking to get started and having no gun's at all.
The epoxy will spray nice with a 1.4 tip as it is thin like a "paint".
You might want to go to a 1.7 for the 2K primer though. A 1.4 will shoot it but the build will be thin compaired to a 1.7.

Glad you got it "Going on" and getting on with it. :thumbup:

#5 ·
The Cornwell tool truck hit this area last week with a special on two devilbiss guns for $89.99 One full size and one detail gun, and they look like good quality guns. I believe Eastwood has the same special going but $10 more. Good deal IMO if the guns are even marginally good. It's amazing how tool costs have dropped in recent years.

#6 ·
Ranchero, Yes they both say DeVilbiss on them. I have used the big gun a couple of times already and it works just fine, the only thing is it has a smaller cup then my finish gun and it is plastic also but I bought these guns for primer so none of that bothers me. I'm sure that if you don't do a lot of painting these might work good anything you might want to paint. I'm happy with them. :thumbup:

#10 ·
Ranchero_65 said:
Iroc , Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

baddbod , If that tool co was around here I'd look them up and get from them seems it will be end of may before Eastwood will have anymore..

Take Care
Earl

Earl, I see Cornwell has a website. Here's the contact info for them:

Cornwell Quality Tools, 667 Seville Rd., Wadsworth, OH 44281 or call us at 800-321-8356.

Maybe they can set you up with a dealer that'll ship them to your door. Bob

#11 ·
Barrybomb said:
I feel better now.Because of China we pay way more now for steel ,portland cement,and gasoline ,but atleast we get cheap paint guns! :D :D
Yeah, I know what you mean. Living the American Dream is long gone IMO, we all seem to be working harder and longer for less. Goverment is larger than ever. Worker's benifits nowadays is minimal compared to years ago. Our ever expanding prison system sucks along with the legal system in many ways. Illegal alliens are killing the medical and education systems. The list goes on and on- depressing stuff I think about as I sand my fingers to the bone to pay the bills.

I had a Grandfather who died in WW2 that I never met, but I'm sure he would be very disappointed to see what he fought for fading away today.

I can directly relate to the steel issue, my Father worked in Iron Mines for over thirty years - no toyota or honda or subaru etc. in my driveway...........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.