New process 203. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2005, 11:32 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

New process 203.

Slowly but surely im getting this truck done so far ive rebuilt the motor, had the tranny rebuilt, replaced all u-joints and now ive got to take care of this clunk when u put it in gear. My first thought is the Front axle because i noticed when i removed the front Drive shaft that i could rotate the (piece that the driveshaft connects to on the pumpkin, lol) probably 25 degrees each way before it got solid? Now im no mechanic i just play one on weekends but that seems like a lot of play. My second question is being that ive never owned a Fulltime system like this what freaking gear should i be running in for everyday around town use. Hi? N? I would assume its not Hi Loc and definitly not Lo or Lo loc. Also im looking for the indicator switch that sits inside the linkage housing for a np-203. They tend to break when u roll your transfer case over and they hit the ground, and its a discontinued part from GM. and all parts houses i could find pluse Chevy duty and Lmc. Its not really a need to have part but would be nice to have again to indicate Loc or not. I just Start the truck Leave in park and put to Neutral (i think) seems the be Neutral because it is all the way forward at least as far as it will go While in park (if i put the transmission in Neutral it will go forward 2 more slots) and then i just back it off 1 spot which according to shift pattern is HI. If i am doing something wrong feel free to scream and holla and call me a retard, Its ok.. Thanks in advance..

Hiball

Specs of Truck 79 Chevy 1/2 ton, Automatic, 4 X 4, np-203 no part-time conversion.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2005, 12:51 PM

Bump*** Nobody knows what normal driving position is for the new Process 203? N, Hi?

Hiball
Old 02-27-2005, 06:52 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

I don't think you would get very far with the t-case in neutral (N)

Normally you should drive in Hi. High Lock and Low Lock are for low traction (mud, dirt, snow, etc...) only.

203's are chain drive and it is known to be a weak point. The differential inside the case can also get sloppy just like a rear (or front) diff.

I am sure your slop is a combination of MANY parts! Those full-time trucks just have so many points to wear.

Starting from the outside front:
You have the hub to slug splines, the slug to stub splines, the steering u-joints, the inner shaft to side gear splines, the side gear to spider mesh, the spider to cross shaft, the cross shaft to carrier, the ring to pinion mesh, the carrier and pinion bearings, the driveshaft u-joints (there are 3 on the front shaft) and slip...and that is all before you even get to the t-case!
Old 02-27-2005, 09:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

No part time conversion, use the HI position for narmal driving.

Triaged is absolutely correct in his description of what could contribute to the same effective problem.

Have you turned the axle yoke to "SEE" what you hear is making noise.

You should have little if any movement of the outer axleshafts, no movement difference of the inner and outer axleshafts, you WILL have some measureable movement between turning the yoke and the inner axleshafts, but it shouldn't equate to very many degrees of the yoke being turned.
50 degrees is WAY too much, but those other things can and are contributing to this amount, you will want more like 20 or less degrees total in a normal used front axle without problems, and less if it is rebuilt.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:03 PM

Thanks... Im off to find a np-205 lol, What pieces will i need to convert to a np 205? Tranny to transfer adaptor? I currently have a turbo 350. Anything to watch out for? Tips?

Thanks again fellas.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:

Sorry for the late entry.

If you've got a TH400, you're out of luck, looking for a NP205. I've never seen, nor heard of one behind a TH400. Other than that, be sure you get the shifter, adapter, shaft sleeve, and both shaft retainer rings(inside the sleeve). Get the driveshafts, too. They are different length, than the NP203 shafts.

If you buy the parts separately, be sure the t-case was from an auto, as the manuals have a coarse spline shaft.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Chevy TH-400 to NP-205 has 32 spline input shaft adapter.
They are difficult to find at best.
Another option would be to find the very common SM-465 4-speed NP-205 and go over to Advance Adapters for the conversion kit.

]url]http://eshop.advanceadapters.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=1437[/url]

ANYWAY, since you said you have the TH-350 transmission, the stock adapters for the NP-205 can be found on Chevy/GMC trucks made before 1973. That was the most common combination back then.
I have one in the stepside in my photo gallery.
Advance Adapters has THREE of this type of adapter.
http://eshop.advanceadapters.com/com...log/srhspec.cz

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.