Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   New project. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/new-project-222827.html)

swvalcon 08-12-2012 11:56 AM

New project.

2 Attachment(s)
And the best part is this ones for me not a customer. Only been wanting one of these for 45 years. Should be here middle of the week. Going to get it running and driveable to test it out and do a complete frame off nut and bolt restoration on it this winter so its ready for the car shows come spring. Frist picture is car as it sits now second is what it should look like when done.

bigdog7373 08-12-2012 05:05 PM

Cool car. One question though, what is it? haha

Stick895 08-13-2012 06:34 PM

Studebaker Hawk.

swvalcon 08-13-2012 07:34 PM

Stick895. You left out hawk GT. 1964 last of the breed. One of about 1200 built and one of four registered with the studebaker club left in mn. I've wanted one of these from the time I was 17 and I'am now 62 so it's been along time coming. Has almost everything but ac, and supercharged engine. Has the auto instead of 4 sp but I can live with that.

swvalcon 08-16-2012 06:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A few pictures of the car. I got it home on the trailer last night. Major rust in all the normal spots these cars rust out so I've got my work cut out for me but its so rare and you can buy new panels for almost all the rusted spots if I dont feel like building my own. Will be doing a frame off rottisiery restoration on this one. The motor has 70,000 miles on the old 289 and sounds real good. No mufflers so a little loud but quite under the hood. Trans seams to work good so theres two big money item I may not need to rebuild. brakes work but I'am going to do a quick clean up before I do a test drive in it. I'll keep posting as I go along this winter on the restoration.

swvalcon 08-16-2012 06:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
more rust.

MARTINSR 08-16-2012 06:41 PM

VERY cool car, believe me it's a blast driving a car that no one knows what it is. I have conversations all the time educating people about a great time in America, when "American made" MEANT "AMERICAN MADE" right down to the radio! I just had a chat with a couple of older guys (as old as me) outside of a parts store today. I drove off and they are telling me "You are the man". :) Driving a friggin whimpy Rambler, I am the man. LOL, Honestly, it't a blast, you are going to love it.

Brian

John long 08-16-2012 06:42 PM

I'm jealouse. I need a good project. You can bring the "what did you work on today" thread back to life swvalcon. We will be looking for updates.

John L

swvalcon 08-17-2012 06:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Interrior is a little rough. But going to have Dan Twolakes on the site here redo that complete. We maybe able to save the headliner and part of the door panels.

tech69 08-17-2012 08:11 AM

man, I live in the sun belt I guess cause Ca cars don't rust like that. I'm sure this car will look awesome. Classy car.