Hot Rod Forum banner

new project

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  49olds 
#1 ·
I have just been given a 1948 oldsmobile 4 door and i plan on building it up nicely as a street car, a daily driver and maybe show it now and then in time. My daughter and i are looking forwrd to learning a great deal. She is 16 and loves old cars as well. The car has been sitting in a field for about 25 years and needs a ton of work but we are up to the task. Any suggestions as to what to look for when getting started would be appreciated
thanks all

#2 ·
The way I've looked at projects is from the bottom up.The first thing the driveline and suspension.Are you leaving it stock,changing it all to a nicer suspension,motor,trans,rearend. Take a good look at the frame and floor,being it has sat in a field are there serious rust outs in frame and floor,check the body mounts,any major body damage or missing parts,being a 48 olds if missing major parts might be harder to find replacement parts,electrical how is that,glass,body work and paint,interior?How long is the project going to take and what cost.I've always tried to look it over then take alittle time a try and get somewhat of a picture in my mind where to go,but leave it subject to change.A father,daughter project sounds like fun,she will be the envy on here senior prom.Hope this has helped some what good luck :)

#3 ·
project car

Thanks for the advice. The car sat in a field for many many many years but is totally complete, everything is there. All glass is still there and none is broken.As for the driveline, we are planning on a new motor , trans and rear end, the front suspension may be rebuilt, just lowered some. As for the body work, i have restored cars for some 25 years and this is not a problem. With all new drive train i know all the wireing will need to be replaced.
We know we will have alot of help from family and friends, and already have a time line set out of about 5 years to completion.
hope it is a really nice car for her and i to work on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.