new project with chainsaw power - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 12:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

new project with chainsaw power

hi,

ever since my buddy reminded me about using a chainsaw on a bicycle ive been thinking about building a 4 wheel bicycle (square type-ish). what i wanna do is take tires from a 21 speed (or however big they get, as i havent exactly looked at bikes in last 5years so idk bout it) mountain bike and kinda make myself a 4 wheel type bicycle with gears (from the bicycles themself which idk if thats possible). to sum things up, it would be 4 mountain bicycle tires, seating supported by middle mounts and 2 of the biggest chainsaws in the back chained to gears on the rear axle. i have no welding tools or any of the stuff, once i find out what i can do as far a building it ill start getting the stuff i need....i understand what i described might be too much weight and ive considered that and decided i might need bigger than a chainsaw...

pretty sure i left stuff out so if u need any additional info just let me know

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 02:02 PM
boatbob2

Wiki Edits: 0

forget the chain saw engines.

find a 12 to 16 hp KOHLER horizontal engine,put a go cart sprocket onto a live axle.plenty of power,and speed !!!!!!! dont try to re-invent the wheel!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 04:52 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny smith
hi,

ever since my buddy reminded me about using a chainsaw on a bicycle ive been thinking about building a 4 wheel bicycle (square type-ish). what i wanna do is take tires from a 21 speed (or however big they get, as i havent exactly looked at bikes in last 5years so idk bout it) mountain bike and kinda make myself a 4 wheel type bicycle with gears (from the bicycles themself which idk if thats possible). to sum things up, it would be 4 mountain bicycle tires, seating supported by middle mounts and 2 of the biggest chainsaws in the back chained to gears on the rear axle. i have no welding tools or any of the stuff, once i find out what i can do as far a building it ill start getting the stuff i need....i understand what i described might be too much weight and ive considered that and decided i might need bigger than a chainsaw...

pretty sure i left stuff out so if u need any additional info just let me know
A bicycle w/4 wheels is no longer a bicycle.

There are Honda GX200 engines and Chinese copies of them that are now the engine of choice for the beginner's classes of kart racing. Engines typically cost a little over $100, new. They make 6-1/2-7HP, are 4-stroke (so no messing w/mixing oil in the gas, fouling plugs, etc. not to mention that 2-strokes are notoriously peaky, temperamental and running 2 of them instead of one correct engine will likely go slower not faster, will drink almost twice the fuel and will handle and stop worse than a single engine'ed project.

Forget about using the derailleur gears from a 10 speed. The engine I mentioned above can easily use a centrifugal clutch mounted directly to the end of the crank. There are variable ratio belt/chain driven trannys also available for kart and mini bike applications if you need "gears".

Research 4 stroke karts and you'll get a better idea of what's available to easily and cheaply power your deal.

Good luck.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.