New project, looking for a little advise. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 07:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New project, looking for a little advise.

I'm new to the board and was wanting a little advise

I was hit by a drunk driver in my Supra last month and there was 12000 dollars damage to the rearend (front is still fine). I've recieved my insurance check and I'm thinking about building my 51 Studebaker pickup.

I'm thinking about taking the engine and transmission (2JZGTE Twin Turbo converted to a single GT4204 and 6 speed manual) out of my Supra and putting them into the Studebaker. I know that I would need a new intercooler and routing, I could pull the ECM and wiring harness out of the Supra (already tuned for the motor). I would need to get engine mounts and a custom drive shaft made, along with installing the Dana 60 I bought for the Studebaker last year.

I know that it would be a little different than a traditonal hotrod but it would be interesting, the motor put out 718 WHP on 19 psi of boost, and was pushing a 10.4 in the quarter mile, the studebaker is about 1000lb heavier but I think it would be interesting.

Any Suggestions or Ideas let me know,
Studebaker2jz

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

I know it's a Little "UnAmerican", but I say go for it! I'm a firm believer in build what you got. And it sounds like you'd have a Screamin Stubby.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:29 PM
ls1stude

sounds very cool. i have a '47 studebaker m5 truck that's been fairly warmed over. It doesn't however make 700+ hp to the wheels. I had a ''98 supra and a single turbo coversion as well. Sounds like you have something that will make for a fun truck and a "what the hell" from all those who look at it. cool.
did you see the latest fast and furious "tokyo drift"? it had a mustang that had a japanese (nissan) turbo motor in it and it seemed pretty awesome. The stude doesn't weigh that much, less than 3k lbs i believe. my '47 only weighed 2650 new.
so go for it. that's what hot rodding is all about. it's as much about you as what you build.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:41 PM

Last photo:

As long as you don't put any bodykits or wings on that stude. Not something you would see everyday, thats for sure. I still remember the pontiac J2000 ric dobbertin built in the 80's with the twin turbo and rear axle that he said fit in a shoebox.
http://www.dobbertinhydrocar.com/Home.htm
Old 10-12-2006, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

1951 stude trk driveline?

Just purchased a 1951 Stude trk, All their but I want to Rod it, I think, but I have a 283 complete with trans and I was wondering what rear end would fit the best,( I don't care what I have to do, but it will be done right) I have heard the S-10 is a good find but this is why I'm open for all suggestions, Thanks Dana, (Another Project)
Old 10-13-2006, 10:03 PM

I'm using a Mark Williams ''complete quality Dana 60 assembly". I finally got the rear end mounted in and pulled the motor and trans out of my Supra.

Unfortinatly I'm not going to be able to finish this anytime soon, I'm going back to Iraq for another 6 months in 2 weeks.

Hope that helps some,
Studebaker2JZ
Old 10-13-2006, 10:57 PM

Last photo:

Hey Stude - Keep your head down over there!! That's some serious stuff!!

Tell all the guys and gals that we're thinking about them and remember them in our prayers EVERY day.

texastomeh
Old 10-13-2006, 11:25 PM

Many many thanks for the support.

Studebaker2JZ

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.