New Project/practice Piece - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2005, 12:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New Project/practice Piece

Heres a project I'm working on .This mirror was just a practice piece to get me ready for bigger and better things . After seeing pics of that orange cuda that was at SEMA I just had to try doing it . I always loved the look of carbon fiber now that I know I can do it, so LOOK OUT ! I might even try wrapping one of my dogs if he would sit still long enough(lol)

Plan is to build a dash, center counsel,and door panels out or glass then inlay CF in diffrent areas.I'll make sure I take lots of pics during the process.

I know it should go in the interior section on the forum but there will prob be enough clear on the parts to cover a MAC truck!

Happy holidays

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mir1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	8375   Click image for larger version

Name:	mir2.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	8376   Click image for larger version

Name:	mir3.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	8377  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2005, 12:29 PM

Last photo:

Can you post any details, like the prep that was required, what products you used, etc.?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

Started with a mirror shell off an 88 chev pu.Sanded the shell with 400 to clean up the surface.
Cut a piece of cf cloth extra large to be sure it would extend past all ehe edges.

Sprayed a coat of 3m adheisive on the shell and let it tack up .Heres where I learned my first lesson. started to lay the cloth down and you guessed it ,it bunched up and bridged all over the place. After ripping the cloth off I decided to spray the glue wet so I would have at least a short window to slide the weave. That worked fine with the exception of the pattern being a little crooked.

Once the cloth was stuck down I let the glue dry for a few hrs and went on to resin. I used WEST SYSTEMS epoxy and worked the resin in with a brush.

After about 24 hrs I lightly sanded the resin wit 120 on a da then applied another coat of resin. 24 hrs sanded again with 120 then applied another coat.

I sanded it totally flat the third time ,cleaned it then shot 3 coats of urethane clear. Sanded next day with 500 then 3 more coats of clear. Sanded and buffed 2 days later.

Learned a lot on a site (FIBERGLAST.COM)

This is called an overlay ,I am currently building a vacum system that I will be trying out next week on another practice part.

Let me know if I left anything out.

Happy Holidays Dave
Old 12-15-2005, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Dave.

I would have thought that the resin would have been used as the original adhesive, but it sounds like the 3m stuff would make it a lot easier.

Forgot to say before that it looks great, especially for a first attempt. There are probably a whole heckuva lot of applications for this process.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

Thank you. The biggest problem with using the resin first is on a complicated part air pockets can form in tight bends. Using a vac bag system should eliminate that. We'll see?

Dave

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.