New Project Truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2004, 04:52 PM
78SSPU

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New Project Truck

Hello everyone, new to the forum here, and thought I would see what is going on here. I am just starting my latest project truck, a 1978 1/2 ton Chevy. It's going to be a casual driver with strip capability. You can see the beginnings here: Drew's 78 Fisrt order of business is to decide on the drivetrain. I am leaning towards a 383 or 406 small block. I will be asking some of you questions from time to time as it has been about 10 years since I built any hotrods..

Regards,

Drew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2004, 07:33 PM
just a kid and his truck

Last photo:

hey welcome to the board. Nice truck. I have a 71 c-10 im going to be starting this summer. What did you use to lower your truck and how far.. i can decide on what to do... springs spindals a arms... or a comination of them all.. thanks a lot.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:57 PM
78SSPU

Last photo:

Well I took a route some may scoff at, I went to a professional and had them lower it for me. I went to Charley's Drop Shop in Portland and he used 2.5 in dropped lower A arms, and 2 additional inches cut from my stock coils as they were in good condition. For the rear, it was the standard flip kit that put the rear above the springs and then relocated the shock mounts to line up properly. All new parts were used including shocks ball joints, snubbers, A arms and bushings. After, a 4 wheel alignment was done to make sure all was right. I could have done it myself, but it only took him about 4 hours and he guarantees his work for life. The truck rides and handles awesome. I changed the rear tires up one size from the front. I am running 275/70/15 's on the rear now to give it the slight rake I wanted. So to answer your question, I pondered over spindles vs. A arms, and according to Charley and from what I can see I have better ground clearance with the A arms.

feel free to ask away, it's good for me to dig up the old info tucked away in my head. (That and the large library of old mags I have). Good luck on your project, and post some pics as you go. The latest change I made was a billet grille and a factory tach cluster that I am restoring right now.

later,

Drew
Old 06-10-2004, 07:22 PM
just a kid and his truck

Last photo:

hey thanks for the info. I was thinking doing spindals in front at first to see how well it sits since it doesnt change the geomety of the truck. For the rears i have coils also so i guess i'll be using springs. I was thinking 4" drops but i duno maybe 3 would be better. Right now the truck is bone stock except for the new intake. Im saving up this summer to fix it up and do what i want. Im geting a 4 bolt 350 that im gona bore a lil and stroke it. Then hopfully re build the tranny, posi, try my hand at patch panels, paint it, and then tacke the interor. one of the first things i wana do is relocate the freaking gas tank. The whole its in the cab thing is not to cool and i want some room to eventualy put some decent bucckets in and a half way decent sterio. Yeh Yeh i know its a lot of work but im up to it and i have a lot of support. None financial but hey.. some is better than none.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:57 AM
78SSPU

Last photo:

Sounds like fun to me, hope it all goes well for you. I had a 67 long bed at one time and it was a blast to work on. There are tons of goodies out there these days available over the web so if you do your homework you can get some really good deals.

later,

Drew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.