new qjet. need a little help with tuning it - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 12:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

new qjet. need a little help with tuning it

I installed a new non CC qjet today. I got the car running but it was at about 2000rpm with the electric choke closed. I adjusted the speed screw on the choke side and it idled at 1500 with the choke closed. Now about 5 minutes later I wanted to see what the rpm would be with the choke of, so I pushed down a lever on the choke side that opened it all the way. It idles at 1200 and I can't get it any lower. The idle speed screw on the throttle side is all the way out so that's not a problem. Now I haven't checked my timing because i'm waiting on my light to come, but could the idle being too fast be caused by initial timing?
Also when should the electric choke be coming off? I used the wire from the CC qjet because it plugged right into the new one, and it does have power when the key is on.

Any help is appreciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 01:11 PM

Last photo:

Honestly, I would suggest that you pick up a copy of Cliff Ruggles Q-Jet book. It will walk you thru every adjustment you will need to make on your q-jet.

Cliffs High Performance Quadrajets :: Qjet Carburetor Rebuild Kits, Parts, Quadrajet Rebuilding, Quadrajet Parts, Bushing Kits, Carb Tuning

You say new, do you mean NOS new, or rebuilt new to you.

Before you can get the book, id check for open vacuum ports, make sure the throttle blades are closing correctly. and make sure the choke idle screw isnt holding open the primaries( it can do this even with the choke blade fully open.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:15 PM

Last photo:

It is new to me and is also rebuilt, it looks brand new. There are no vacuum leaks as far as I can tell. Ill go check the primaries and check out that book. Thanks
Old 07-20-2012, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

okay started it up again and the choke was open because engine was still warm it idles at about 1200 and 950 in gear. Still would like it to be lower. Also there's white smoke coming out of the tail pipes so I assume it needs adjusting? Never smoked with the old carb on it. Also is there a certain tool needed for this?

Old 07-20-2012, 03:05 PM

Last photo:

THere's an idle speed screw on your choke. If you look on the underside of the choke pull off you'll see it.
As for the idle mixture screws you have a couple choices. THey make a tool to fit it or make your own.
Or remove the screw with some needle nose pliers, touch the flat face to a grinder to remove the hardened surface and then cut a slot in it that a small flat screwdriver fits into. I made a tool out of a small piece of tubing once and shaped it to fit but found the screwdriver mod worked better.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

Do you know where the tool can be found? Otherwise I'll figure something out
Old 07-20-2012, 11:16 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoleski View Post
Do you know where the tool can be found? Otherwise I'll figure something out
That type of adjustment screw head is called a "double-D". If you don't want to fish them out w/a pair of hemostats and slot them for a straight blade screwdriver, hit up the local AutoZone (or whatever you have) and pick up a tool like the OEM brand carburetor adjusting tool p/n 25062.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

thanks that's what i'm looking for. Also could my white smoke out the tailpipe problem be caused by crap that's in the exhaust pipes? I read somewhere that a guy put on a new carb and his old one was running rich, after driving his car for a few days the white smoke out the tailpipe stopped. Any thoughts?
Old 07-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

1) Which lever did you push to open the choke?

a) After 5 mins the choke should be fully open by itself.

b) If the idle speed screw is totally out then the throttle lever should be against the "bump stop" and should not be idling at 1200 in neutral with the choke fully open. Something is wrong. Can you provide a picture, top view, with the choke fully open?

2) When you say tailpipes is this dual exhaust?
Old 07-21-2012, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

My timing was way off so that's why it was idling so fast. Now it idles at 750-800 in park with choke open. The choke is working properly too. It isn't true dual exhaust, just a muffler with one inlet and two outlets
Old 07-21-2012, 11:47 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoleski View Post
My timing was way off so that's why it was idling so fast. Now it idles at 750-800 in park with choke open. The choke is working properly too. It isn't true dual exhaust, just a muffler with one inlet and two outlets
Running the engine for a short time then shutting it off causes condensation to build up because the exhaust system doesn't stay hot long enough to remove all the condensate. Likely after you drive it for an extended time the steaming will cease.

To be safe, keep an eye on the coolant level just in case it has an intake or head gasket problem.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:25 AM

Last photo:

thank you for the reply. Thats what i'm hoping is happening, i've ran it for a few minutes at a time probably 6 times lately. My oil and coolant both look okay, no mixing of the two at all. I hope its not the head gaskets...just did those a few months ago

Tags
adjustment tool, idle screw, qjet, timing

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.