Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New Rebuilt Motor Will Not "Start
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 08:00 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New Rebuilt Motor Will Not "Start

Hello;
I need some help on this one. I have a 1981 El Camino that came with a 267 cubic inch motor and th250 transmission. I have swapped out the 267 with a 350 that I rebuilt myself. It has not been started since the rebuild so I have to do the initial breakin of the engine, i.e start it, bring the motor up to about 2000rpm for about 20 minutes, etc.

This is the problem;

I cant get the thing started. When I turn the switch, I get nothing, the motor doesn't turn over or nothing. If I turn the lights on, only the parking lights come on. Everything worked before I took the original motor out. The motor that I put in--the 350--is from the '78-'79 era. I noticed when I bought the car a couple of months ago that some of the wires were not hooked up in the engine compartment, but it was running. At the bare minimum, I only want to get the thing started so I can break it in, then I will worry about making everything look nice. Some of the wires that were hooked up on the original motor--the 267--are not hooked up on the 350 because there is no hook up for it. The 267 was all original. The 350 has a holley 750 with vac sec sitting on top of an edelbrock intake manifold.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I have it wired now;
1 wire from the firewall to the back of the motor.
1 wire from the positive post on the battery to the BATT terminal on the HEI
1 small wire going to the starter solenoid
A couple of bigger red wires/cable going to the big terminal on the starter, one of which is from the battery.

What else at a minimum do I have to have hooked up just to get this thing started.

Thanks