New roller rockers...do they need to break in? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 09:55 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New roller rockers...do they need to break in?

I just got some brand new full roller rockers from Howards Cams (Part 90084) and I am not sure if they are OK or need some break in time? Most of the tips all roll really easily and smoothly by finger pressure, but the tips on 3 of them don't seem right to me, they are stiff and gritty. Is this me being paranoid about my first engine build or do I have a concern? I called Howards and they said no problem send them back, but I would like other opinions on the matter. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 10:23 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
I just got some brand new full roller rockers from Howards Cams (Part 90084) and I am not sure if they are OK or need some break in time? Most of the tips all roll really easily and smoothly by finger pressure, but the tips on 3 of them don't seem right to me, they are stiff and gritty. Is this me being paranoid about my first engine build or do I have a concern? I called Howards and they said no problem send them back, but I would like other opinions on the matter. Thanks!
Some company's suggest cleaning with solvent right out of the package and lubing before instalation! I do it whether its suggested or not and yes there is some break in! so use a good lubricant on valve tips or valve lash caps and push rod ends during assembly. But if their bad send them back don't take the chance!!!!!

Jester
Old 07-22-2012, 10:33 PM
More machine than man

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply Jester.
Funny you say "I do it whether its suggested or not" because there was not a shred of paper sent with the rockers with any type of instructions, nor can I find any on their website.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:57 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

Some roller rockers are assembled at the factory's dry or with very light lube some even have like a creosote treatment applied to them because they could be on a shelf for years before a sale! Another reason to clean them and lub them is because you have no idea what they encountered in the factory like being dropped on a dirty floor LOL!! Or what a disgruntled worker might do! I just don't take chances I clean and lub! I clean my new cams too Years ago cams came with a thin coating of preservative on them like a creosote or wax I learned to clean them back then and just always have! Hell it cant hurt all it would take is a small left over filing left from machining to start the ball rolling to a failure or a few grains of dirt!

Jester
Old 07-23-2012, 04:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Comp Cams says wipe 'em off and install. Crane says clean, then soak in oil. Mine are currently Crane and were well soaked in can of the same oil as used in the engine. The tip rollers are nice and smooth rolling - even the previous Comps were (and yes, they too were soaked in oil before use).

I added some engine assembly lube on the pushrod and valve tip as well
Old 07-23-2012, 04:55 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I'm with the others who say to not use the ones w/rough rollers. I clean everything before installing. I have to admit I don't use anything except motor oil on the rockers unless they're ball pivot stamped steel, and I don't do any special break in for roller rockers. If the cam is a new FT, the rockers get the same break in treatment as the cam, otherwise that's it.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:10 PM
More machine than man

Last photo:

Follow up: I mailed the 3 rockers to Howards Cams and they just called me back. They said that there were indeed some issues with the tips. They are going to mail me 3 new ones and do a autopsy on the old ones.

On the topic of cleaning they said it is not necessary. They clean and assemble with assembly oil at the factory and they suggest just bolting them on the engine.

Tags
roller rockers, valvetrain

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.