New roller rockers what happened - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 02:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New roller rockers what happened

I finished installing new Comp Cams roller tip rockers today. I turned it over several times before starting it with no problems. I added some oil stabilizer to the tops of the rockers to make sure everything was well lubed. I used assembly lube when putting it together but any extra wasn't going to hurt. I set the lash by the method found on this web site using tape and marks on the damper at 45 degree increments and replaced and set one valve at a time. Everything looked good. Seems like all the nuts were tightened about the same. I went zero lash then 1/2 turn for the preload. After turning it over several times with the starter I could spin some of the pushrods I had already set.

I buttoned everything up including putting the A/C compressor back into its normal position. I started it after a few cranks and it seemed to run a little rough at first. I let it warm up and it didn't run to much better. All of a sudden it sounded like the rocker all got loose. I turned it off. Up to that point I had about 15hg on the vacuum guage and a slight bounce. I thought, carp, now I have to take everything apart again, including the A/C and tighten another 1/2 turn.

I tired starting it again after a minute and everything was fine. The vacuum went up to 18 and steady. It still has a lope. I have dual exhaust with no crossover which might add to some of that. It had it before I change rockers. It goes down to about 12 when I step on it but holds at 18 when I give it gas and hold it. It goes to about 22 when I let off.

What do think cause the rattle? Why would it fix itself. The rattle only lasted for a few seconds before I turned it off. Now when I shut it down, it make a big sucking noise. Is this due to the added HP since the thing now thinks it has a bigger cam? I used 1.52 rockers.

I have not retimed it yet and it is running a little fast at idle. Sound pretty good when I step on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

You certain you didn`t knock any other vacuum lines off?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:36 PM

Yes they are all on and tight

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.