New Rome Ohio, anyone? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2003, 07:52 PM
a.k.a. Rusty Shackelford

Last journal entry: Another one
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post New Rome Ohio, anyone?

I was just watching 48 hours or one of those shows with Ba ba Walters. They did a piece on New Rome, a tiny town in Ohio. They give out over 2000 tickets a year there. The whole town is only 4 blocks long. The report said that their entire yearly budget is only $400,000 of witch 90%is made up of revenues from speeding tickets. That equals $360,000 in tickets it also averages $180 a ticket. This is a load of crap. This entire town is making it on innocent people who pass through. They even pulled one woman over because they incorrectly thought she had overdue speeding tickets. They handcuffed her slammed her on the hood of the police car, handcuffed and arrested her mother when she complained all in front of the woman’s two year old son. This story has a kind of happy ending though. The county will vote soon on weather or not to disband the village of New Rome.
I was just wondering if any of you have been through there and had any stories to share.

Cory

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2003, 09:28 PM

I'll put that town on my list of places not to visit.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:24 AM

It's located on the most western edge of Columbus on Route 16.Avoid it like the pleague.
Check out a local web page
<a href="Http://www.newromesucks.com" target="_blank">Http://www.newromesucks.com</a>
Old 02-01-2003, 02:28 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

My friend lives over there. He warned me years ago about that town. They are considering doing away with the jurisdiction in that town and turning it over to Grove City or Columbus. Senor Limpio lives over that way and might be able to give some more input. It it a town that you could go into and not even no it. It is a small town right beside Columbus and you can't really tell the difference except for 2 small signs. One going in an one leaving. It's a 4 lane theu there with stores on both sides of the road.

Kevin
Old 02-01-2003, 04:28 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

Cool

Speed Trap?

Todd
Old 02-01-2003, 04:59 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

I saw that one brz51. Makes me ashamed to be an Ohioan. Glad I've never been there. Did you notice the town coucilman didn't care they treated the rest of the world badly as long as the cops left the locals alone. He should get the same treatement from every town he enters that's not his. Talk about your legal scams. The police force is nothing but sanctioned organised crime in my opinion. Where's our law makers? Shut'em down and send 'em all to jail to think about it for awhile. That really grinds my muffler bearings.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:51 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Actually the Mayor of New Rome is wanting to disband the town...he doesn't even live IN New Rome.He lives in Columbus and has a Barber shop in New Rome. He claims that He stays in an apartment above the BarberShop, but the residents proved that false. Everyone I know that has been through that town has been pulled over and harassed.
You could literally drive through the town and not even realize it. It looks like every 4 blocks of streets in Columbus.
I hope they do away with it and let the bigger city take it over.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 02-01-2003, 08:01 AM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Yea, I have talked to a lot of truckers and they try to stay the hell away from there. The town has fought with ODOT (Ohio Department of Transportation) on thier 35 mph speed limit though town. The rest of the street on either side is 45mph. Also, could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there were only 6 ppl that voted in thier last election. I also believe that there are only 60 ppl that live there.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:39 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Well I can say that fortunately I haven't been there. I never have to travel down that route. But I wasn't even aware of that nasty place, so I would like to thank you for the warning. I hate speed traps.
I have a nice memory of "fleeing" once, and I was successful! At the time, it wasn't such a nice memory, but about a week later it was! hehehe So any time I get a ticket now, I always have that in the back of my mind and it makes the situation a little easier to handle. (however, high insurance rates, and stupid ticket fee's still suck no matter what!)
Old 02-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

NEWS FLASH! Hold onto you cash. New Rome has decided to stay intact. A record turnout of 32 voted to keep the village. Last big turnout was 18. There are 66 registered voters there. I guess they like feeding off the unsuspecting public. Maybe after Iraq we could use our forces here.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

I live in Ohio, Knox county, i think ive been through that place or really close to it, i thought the name was diffrent but im not sure hehe its is VERY small, smaller than the town i live in, and my town is only 300-400 tops LOL
Old 02-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I liked the guy they interviewed, you know the one with long hair and rotten teeth. Talk about a hilljack, I particlularly liked the mobile home city hall. Send the terrorists through this town!
Old 02-05-2003, 11:29 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

NAIRB SAYS: [quote]I particlularly liked the mobile home city hall<hr></blockquote>

When was the last time you were there?New Rome is actually about 3 blocks of Columbus city streets...It is on the very edge of the city.I guess I missed the interview, but I wasn't aware of the Mobile Home City Hall...I didn't even know there were Mobile Homes in that part of town...
Later,
WEIMER
Old 02-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The Primetime Live broadcast showed a pic of the modular unit they use for town headquarters. What a riot!! I'm not sure if it was true or not, as it was obvious that they were trying to portray everyone as a redneck, and they did a good job.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:01 AM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

It is true...they do have a trailer for thier municipal building!!!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.