New rule in the engine forum, PLEASE READ! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 05:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New rule in the engine forum, PLEASE READ!

In response to multiple complaints from the mods and members we have created a new "READ ME" at the top of the engine forum page located at the following address;

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/you-...um-150530.html

Please review this post to ensure your questions are located in the appropriate forum(s).

The volume of traffic and posts in this forum have required this action to ensure members posts do not fall off the main page where they typically do not receive the attention they deserve.

We are currently reviewing this new "rule" and responses to it, please respond in this thread if you have any questions or suggestions.

I will copy this post in the Lounge to garner as many members opinions as possible.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 08:09 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,153 Posts
I responded there, which will be my last post there apparently being I am not of "common engine building knowledge".

Brian
Old 12-31-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I responded there, which will be my last post there apparently being I am not of "common engine building knowledge".

Brian
Well said MARTINSR.

As a newcomer to HotRodding I have many questions some of which may have been asked before or may be basic questions for some of the "Pro's" on this forum. Sorry that I don't share your almighty knowledge of engine building but I thought that by asking a question someone just might be willing to share some of their knowledge. Apparently this is not the case for some of you engine building gods here.
Let me just ask you a question......If you engine gods have kids and your second child asked you the same question your first child asked when he was the same age did you smack him in the mouth and send them to their room.
That's what you are doing to the many members on this site who are here to learn. If this rule stands this site will be dead in 6 months.
If you don"t like the title or content of a thread then don't participate in it!!!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal Beagle
Well said MARTINSR.

As a newcomer to HotRodding I have many questions some of which may have been asked before or may be basic questions for some of the "Pro's" on this forum. Sorry that I don't share your almighty knowledge of engine building but I thought that by asking a question someone just might be willing to share some of their knowledge. Apparently this is not the case for some of you engine building gods here.
Let me just ask you a question......If you engine gods have kids and your second child asked you the same question your first child asked when he was the same age did you smack him in the mouth and send them to their room.
That's what you are doing to the many members on this site who are here to learn. If this rule stands this site will be dead in 6 months.
If you don"t like the title or content of a thread then don't participate in it!!!!!

I also feel the same way, BUT I feel it is not limited to the engine forum. We seem to have many auto gods lurking around here that seen to think they know the only way to do something or build some thing. I also wont be posting in the engine forum now (not that i really ever did). I dont want to waste any engine gods time.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:42 PM

Last photo:

Old 12-31-2008, 01:11 PM

Last photo:

The repeating of the same questions is why I wrote my first "Basics" article that I continue to post. I have seen this over and over on forums and frankly have never understood the hysteria of the "DID YOU DO A SEARCH, THAT QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED A MILLION TIMES?". So the hell what, maybe the particular case is a little different, if nothing else politely provide a link to the thread where it was provided. The new comer may not know what search words to use, he may not fully understand WHAT he even needs to ask.

I am saying all this without ever spending time on the engine forum so this is notthing personal towards anyone. I have no idea who has asked the offending questions nor do I know who made a big deal about it.

Brian
Old 12-31-2008, 01:15 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I have learned that it's better to just keep my mouth shut for now on...I have tried to help some people here,And it ended up in a fight.Sometime it may have been my fault,But not always.I do want to say.. I'm sorry for any trouble I have had with any of the member's here.And I do want to say Sorry to Jon for any trouble on his site.I did want to leave here because of some of the Drama..But I decided to stay.(I'm sure some may be disappointed)And to just sit back and watch, more then anything.Some people here try very hard to be #1, And if that's what you are here to be,Then your here for the wrong reason..This is all about trying to help some one out,and to learn even more...Well I guess I said to much again.Now I guess I'll sit back and just watch what happens here..Again to all the members here.. Sorry for any problem's I have made here....

Sorry 4 jaw chuck,But I see the problem's not only in the Engine part of this site.And I know we may be talking about two different things,But they both meet in the middle.

And I have nothing against constructive criticisms,But it can be pushed to far.especially when you have done things many times before with 100% good result.And someone try's to tell you it won't work the way your doing it..
Good luck 4 jaw chuck....

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 12-31-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

How about some constructive criticisms?

Perhaps we should eliminate the "beginner" forum and let things fly as they are? I moved 20 posts last night, all of them to the beginner forum except for one...it was a driveshaft question.

Experienced members are not participating, this is everyones loss.

Questions;

1) If you have an engine problem because you haven't done the basic tune up does it belong in this forum?

2) If your car is making a funny noise does it belong in this forum?

3) If you can't decide on a 650cfm or a 600cfm carb for your engine does it belong in this forum?

4) If your asking "how much horsepower does my engine have" does it belong in this forum?

5) If your asking "is brand A camshaft better for my application than brand B" does it belong in this forum?

6) If your question is "I have a 6-71 blower on a 440ci SBC alchohol blown dragster and I need a adjustable blow off valve supplier" does it belong in this forum?

Perhaps we require an "Advanced Engine" subforum for those more experienced questions. Since there are less of these style questions and they are usually posted by more experienced members it should have it own forum. Moving these on occasion would be easier since there is less volume.

As usual in life nothing is black and white, however the printed word is.

Please discuss.

P.S. There is no drama here to be resolved, no one is "better" than anyone else. The volume of "basic" questions in the engine forum is large, I moved 20 posts last night alone. Moving these questions is not a viable option for the long term, neither is reporting these posts as they are solid questions not spam. We need concensus as this is a democratic website, your opinion and constructive criticisms are valued.

Whining not so much...

The new sticky in the engine forum can be moved to a subforum as required, it can be edited for content as well. Nothing is written in stone, we need your input on how to makes this section of the website better.

Lets make the New Year better than the last, this is your opportunity to make a difference...however small it may be.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:03 PM

Last photo:

I believe there is a problem with the forum, the moderator, or the experianced posters when the beginer doesn't know where to post! If there has to be some sort of "qualification" to whether or not a question is a "beginer", "moderate experianced", "experianced" or "Hot shot pro" question, WE are at fault not the guy trying to figure out where to put the question!

I am sorry, to move a question to "beginers" forum or something when that question DOES pertain to an engine........that was put in the ....UM, .....ENGINE forum is simply sad.

Brian
Old 12-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
I have learned that it's better to just keep my mouth shut for now on...I have tried to help some people here,And it ended up in a fight.Sometime it may have been my fault,But not always.I do want to say.. I'm sorry for any trouble I have had with any of the member's here.And I do want to say Sorry to Jon for any trouble on his site.I did want to leave here because of some of the Drama..But I decided to stay.And to just watch more then anything.Some people here try very hard to be #1, And if that's what you are here to be,Then your here for the wrong reason..This is all about trying to help some one out,and to learn even more...Well I guess I said to much again.Now I guess I'll sit back and just watch what happens here..Again to all the members here.. Sorry for any problem's I have made here....

Good luck 4 jaw chuck....
With four jaws it is impossible to keep my mouth shut...sorry it ain't happening! No apologies are necessary, its the internet...its only a website about rodding. Keep up the good work, I always read your posts. Its only when I agree that I don't respond.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I believe there is a problem with the forum, the moderator, or the experianced posters when the beginer doesn't know where to post! If there has to be some sort of "qualification" to whether or not a question is a "beginer", "moderate experianced", "experianced" or "Hot shot pro" question, WE are at fault not the guy trying to figure out where to put the question!

I am sorry, to move a question to "beginers" forum or something when that question DOES pertain to an engine........that was put in the ....UM, .....ENGINE forum is simply sad.

Brian
The decision to move 'beginner" posts to that forum was not my decision, it was suggested as a temporary action suggested by other members as well as mods as a solution.

You can blame me if you like, its all my fault...just like Paul Revere was the cause of the revolution.

I'm just the guy riding the horse!
Old 12-31-2008, 05:39 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

I understand were yer coming from on this 4 jaw. Maybe we should be more clear on were to post, but how??? Dont stress everyone. We will work it out. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 12-31-2008, 05:47 PM

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 1

new rules in engine form

Jmark
SAME CAN OF WORMS, Mclaim or Hussan !
Old 12-31-2008, 07:13 PM

Last photo:

i have a thought what about 2 engine forums
1st one call it street engines. for stock and mildly modified.most new people and those with simple questions would fit in this category.
2nd one call it race engines. for race and professional builds. this would be for experienced builders were a extra 5 horsepower makes a difference.and for more technical questions.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I've removed the sticky for the time being, my intention was to spark some real serious discussion on this matter, moving posts is not a solution.

Sometimes it takes a kick in the butt to get things moving and what we have here is status quo that constantly gets discussed but never changes. People need a kickstart from time to time to make a difference don't you agree? Someone has to take the bull by the horns, and I am not offended by being a target for criticism...been that most my life ha-ha!

I like the race engine forum idea, heck I like any new idea really.

Keep em comin everyone, all moderators are watching your opinions and responses...and me suspiciously LMAO!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.