Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New SBC 383 build question + parts list
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 08:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Pitted rust Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

New SBC 383 build question + parts list

Hi guys.

I WAS going to use a 4.0L Northstar...but after spec'ing everything out for it, the dollar:performance ratio is just too much. $10K for a 400hp motor just isn't worth it imo. Especially the fact that I'd still need to invest another $2,000 JUST in the specialty tools and timesert kit needed. (N* blocks HAVE to be timeserted, no matter what.)

So I've decided to go with a motor that is your favorite, and mine...the SBC. They're relatively easy to work on, parts are EVERYWHERE, I know the opinions of some about the SBC around here. But, it's going in an early Z-car, so unless you can spec a Datsun 383, you can save those. But, it's 2600lbs of 600hp goodness...I hope.

I've searched and researched as much as I can so that I can make a decently informed post...but I'd like the opinions of some of the more experienced guys around here, in case I'm missing something. I'm sick of all the crate motors I see, so I'm braving my first bare block build...so be gentle.

This is what I've got so far. I'll add the links to the parts, and any questions I have afterwards....

World Motown 4.030 block - link to block

SCAT forged rotating assembly - Summit link

AFR Eliminator 210cc heads - link to Jegs Now, I HAD hoped to go with the 227cc heads here , but I can't find a compatible lifter kit. Yes, I know they come assembled. But with the cam and springs I'm planning on, they require a 1.6 int/1.5 exh rocker ratio. Does anyone know of a lifter kit for the 227cc's? I'd like to stick with Jesel, but don't know if they can customize a lifter kit.

Cam - Comp 259/264 @ .050

Lifters, Springs, and Retainers The taller springs also will need a .100 longer 8mm valve....which I can't find anywhere but on the AFR website. (Their site is down at the moment, so I can't link to it.)

Rocker Kit. This is just for reference as I'd need to contact Jesel and see if I can get a 1.6 int./1.5 exh. system made. Will probably add another $200. Oh well. Going fast ain't cheap.

I haven't chosen a pan yet, as I want to wait until I can mock the engine up in the car to see where the clearances are.

and a Dynatek downdraft EFI on top...Link ...will be used regardless of anything else. So any changes need to be based on this.

So...what else am I missing? Besides the little stuff I mean. OF course, all ARP fasteners, Clevite bearings, etc...
Suggestions on gaskets? I'd like to do a bit of porting and polishing, but the Dynatek site says NOT to port match as some Fel-Pro gaskets don't exactly match.
Also, the cam...how suitable would that cam be for EFI? The induction is basically a Weber replacement, but cam selection is an art I haven't yet fully grasped.

If all calculations are correct, this setup SHOULD be good for about 600-650 fwhp and 7,000 rpm...and a 150-200 shot of the funny gas, should I have the desire...but I don't have any of the desktop dyno programs to check.

What do the more experienced guys say?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Filmjay; 12-06-2008 at 09:17 PM.