Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New SBC 383 build question + parts list
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 11:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Pitted rust Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

No sir. I'm shooting for 600 fwhp. Which would equate to about 500 rwhp...give or take.

I also stated that cam selection was definitely not my forte, and that I still had a lot to learn in that department. That's why I posted my proposed setup. For advice and possible revision....not flaming.

Now, I didn't mean it was a grocery getter. That's not to say it wouldn't make the occasional 1/4 pass though.
But, I don't want to be fabbing up tubular subframes or pushing the firewall back and DO want it to fit under the stock hood height.
..and drivability and reliability was ONLY mentioned for the reason why I'm using an IR EFI instead of a Weber carb induction. I do know that there's nothing practical about a 2600lb/5-600hp car. But, what I mean by it's not a race car is that I'm not building it to win trophies or accolades. I'm just doing it to do it. Nothing else.

Now, if you're done being indignant about your suggestions, I'd love to hear more. I've said that I've still got a lot to learn, and would love to do so.
And I DO thank you for the links you posted. I do like that Car Craft 496 buildup. But again, I've never really dealt with stuffing a big block in a little bitty car...and I do have specific requirements in size, weight, and dimensions that I'd like to stick to. Only BBC's I've ever dealt with were crate motors and stuffed in older generation American iron with square miles of engine compartment space.

Anyway...thanks again for the BBC info. I've found a Caddy 472 in a Z under the stock hood, so I'll take that into serious consideration.
But the dizzy is up front on the Caddy motors, so that makes it an easier fit. Most V8/Z swaps usually are pretty close to the firewall. But, I didn't know it was possible. That's why I didn't consider it.

...and yes, I am on drugs. I had a hood from a 67 C10 fall while I was under it a while back.

Last edited by Filmjay; 12-06-2008 at 11:15 PM.