new to site and gto - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 03:38 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

new to site and gto

this is my first post , but im intrested in gto but am i biting off more then I can chew with wanting a muscle/everyday or (occational) driver out of a 67 gto,"goat" somewhat a "project car", new to hot rodding any advise would help, what to know, prices of good startup project car, what i am getting into, excited but not rich whats the best plan of action. peace and love

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2004, 07:32 AM

GTO

Glad your here, you will find all the help you need here.
Have you bought the GTO or looking for one.
I think your best bet is on your first car is to get one that is already running and just needs to put back in shape. Getting a first project car that needs quarter panels or floor pans may take some of the excitement out for you.
A first project car that needs minor engine repairs, wiring, suspension, body and interior is a good way to start. You have something that is complete you just need to straighten out.
What I'm getting at is a car that needs to be completley taken down is fun and it takes time and you have to build as you go.I've seen a few to lose interest on their first car doing a total rebuild. You will learn a lot as you go and the next car you will be more into going a little deeper.
You will learn a lot just from the research of putting one back original or building a street rod.
And you will find all the help in any area of repair right here!
Old 11-16-2004, 10:45 AM

thanks partner

thanks for the info resto60 much needed, I am looking to buy a gto, i have resonable car knowledge about 50/50 what is a good price for one running and i need for minor restoration what to watch out 4 and were to start, appreciate the help. peace and love
Old 11-16-2004, 12:13 PM

If I was going to drive my 65 tempest daily, I would need a couple things:

1. wire harness - this would solve my charging and wiring issues and increase reliability
2. Valvetrain - fine for occasional spin around, would need work for the daily haul
3. transmission - I would ditch my powerglide and go for a TH350 to gain the extra gear
4. paint - living in WV I need to keep the metal I have left
5. lights - modern lighting / driving lights would increase safety factor
6. stereo - need modern speakers and cd player in a driver
7. new alternator - keep all the new electrical demand in check
Old 11-16-2004, 01:25 PM

GTO Value

I would expect to pay around $5,500 to $7,000 for a 67 GTO that is running in good shape, 400 engine and A/C, auto transmission. That is about low average on one in need of basic restoration. If you find one check the body real close. Try not to get a bondo car. Open the trunk & inspect the trunk and foward of the trunk where you can see the shocks make sure that area is not ate away with rust. Check the frame rails make sure they are not rusted away or caving in. Make sure all the lines of the fenders & hood are pretty close and not gapped like it might have been wrecked. Go to one of the Pontiac GTO web sites and print you a copy of GTO VIN#'s so you can check the vehicle you find . It's hard to find a all matching # car but you can at least make sure it is not a clone. Any car you find posted on the internet and the writing is terrible be carefull it may be a scammer. That's a dead giveaway for them. No money untill you can see the car or verify who they are.
A car like paperairplane has would be a good project car. It runs so you are ahead of the game.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.