Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New Snap-on tools don't say USA anymore?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
BIG difference in having a quality tool/tools that hold up day after day for a professional mechanic than a tool good enough for part time use on your weekend hot rod.

If you break one at work you loose time and money. Break one at home and you can just get another tomorrow. $19.95 for a cheap tool X2 when it breaks = $39.90. Good tool that last's, $29.95 and life time warranty priceless, and, cheaper in the long run.

Exactly! I was not going to comment this time but you make the point I have argued forever about why buying the best makes a lot of sense for the professional. I keep hearing "but all I have to do is take my Craftsman back to Sears", sure they will replace it free of charge BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT!!! I don't care how easy it is to get a broken tool replaced it's the time lost, the rounded fasteners, the broken tool that causes lost time waiting to be replaced and of course the busted knuckles. A free replacement warranty don't mean squat when the tool fails when you need it and although I know some will not believe it there are many times when a Snap-On or similar will remove a stubborn fastener when a Craftsman, etc will either break or will round off the corners and slip, I have personally seen this a bunch of times.

It's not how easy a tool is to get replaced, it's how well they serve you when the chips are down that counts. Sure Sears will replace that broken socket, ratchet, etc BUT will they pay you for your lost time? Will they explain to the boss or customer what's taking so long? Will they give you a box of Bandaids? Just about every POS sold today including HF will exchange a broken tool ! It's not how good the warranty is it's how often you have to use it that matters!

EDIT: I mentioned Craftsman too many times and it looks as if I was picking on them but I was not. Craftsman tools are excellent home shop tools and I did not mean they are poor quality, just that real pro tools are (at least were in years past) a much better choice for the pro making a living with his tools.

Last edited by oldred; 07-05-2011 at 06:40 PM.