Hot Rod Forum banner

New Snap-on tools don't say USA anymore?

49K views 51 replies 22 participants last post by  V8Square 
#1 ·
Recently got a few new ratchets and wrenches and none say USA on them like they used to.

Ratchets are "dual 80" and wrenches are the ratcheting wrenches.

Anyone else noticed this?

When did they first remove the "USA" from their product?

Anyone have info on why they did this? Are they really no longer American made or did they remove the "USA" for some other reason...ie trying to appeal to a global market some countries of which may not think highly of America.

#2 ·
I may be mistaken but I do believe that Snap-on moved most of their production overseas.

I don't make a living wrenching so maybe my opinion is not as valid as some that do but I feel they are overpriced for what you get anymore, there used to be a large gap in quality between the Snap-on, Mac, Proto and tools like Craftsman. I just don't see it anymore, plus if I break one I just mosey on down to Sears and get it replaced........

#4 ·
Funny thing is, I sent an e-mail to Snap-on about this and whoever it is that does the responding is extreemly evasive and wont say much more than "I don't know why it doesnt say USA". Either they are hiding something or the folks that respond to e-mail are way out of the loop.

I don't wrench for a living either, but I do still feel that Snap-on is above the competition in most things. Perhaps that extra level of quality isn't always needed and maybe the HIGH price tag doesnt make it worth it it all cases, but the quality is still there in my opinion.

#6 ·
z-adamson said:
Recently got a few new ratchets and wrenches and none say USA on them like they used to.

Ratchets are "dual 80" and wrenches are the ratcheting wrenches.

Anyone else noticed this?

When did they first remove the "USA" from their product?

Anyone have info on why they did this? Are they really no longer American made or did they remove the "USA" for some other reason...ie trying to appeal to a global market some countries of which may not think highly of America.
Air compressor from Snap On- http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/snap-compressor-junk-201167.html

#7 ·
snap on tools

I dont think too many things are made in the good old U S of A any more before too long the overseas people will find out how to make immitation AMERICANS. Here,s an interestig thing that i found out a few month,s ago. The parent Co .of SNAP ON TOOLS is WILLIAM,S SUPER WRENCH AN OLD OLD AMERICAN CO. THEY also make KOBALT TOOLS FOR LOWE,S no DOUBT they are made overseas by one of the better manufacturers. I certainly don,t believe that they use a different steel mixture for the different names either. I have a bunch of good old stuff snap on vulcan tools mac matco cornwell HERBRAND BONNEY proto etc but i also have some good overseas sockets and wrenches . Can they compare to the old tools as far as quality chrome finnish and size absolutely not ,but in all truthfullness i cant see a difference in todays tools between the good stuff and the knock offs THAT,S MY 2 CENTS WORTH. ALEX

#10 ·
z-adamson said:
, but they just fail to say so on the tool, which I find rather odd. There has to be some reason for it.
Probably because it is against the law for them to put it on them if it isn't true. Evidently their 500% profit margin wasnt enough, they need a little more so they are manufacturing in China or Malaysia now.

#11 · (Edited)
I am going to post this copy and paste from a website called StillmadeinUSA.com:

"Snap-on Tools: a business division of Snap-on Inc., Snap-on Tools Group manufactures tools for motor vehicle service and repair at 4 facilities in the U.S. (Elkmont, AL; Algona, IA; Elizabethton, TN; and Milwaukee, WI). Known for their franchised dealer vans, Snap-on tools are now also available online. Many, but not all, tools imprinted with the Snap-on name are made in US, other tool brands (including Blue Point) are imported. County of origin is provided for each product on the Snap-On website, so check before you purchase."

Here's an example:CLICK HERE

#12 ·
Steel said:
I may be mistaken but I do believe that Snap-on moved most of their production overseas.

I don't make a living wrenching so maybe my opinion is not as valid as some that do but I feel they are overpriced for what you get anymore, there used to be a large gap in quality between the Snap-on, Mac, Proto and tools like Craftsman. I just don't see it anymore, plus if I break one I just mosey on down to Sears and get it replaced........
I have preached and preached to buy the best tools you can afford. But over the last few years I have begain to believe exactly as you have said, there just isn't that big of a difference anymore. And by the way, it makes me sick to see this. Harbor Freight, it is STILL junk, but the middle of the road stuff like Craftsmen, S&K, and others are PLENTY good and often even the Harbor Freight is "good enough".

Brian

#14 ·
OneMoreTime said:
At the end of the day good enough is good enough..So why pay any more than you need to to get the tool that works.

Sam
BIG difference in having a quality tool/tools that hold up day after day for a professional mechanic than a tool good enough for part time use on your weekend hot rod.

If you break one at work you loose time and money. Break one at home and you can just get another tomorrow. $19.95 for a cheap tool X2 when it breaks = $39.90. Good tool that last's, $29.95 and life time warranty priceless, and, cheaper in the long run. :D

#15 ·
sqzbox said:
BIG difference in having a quality tool/tools that hold up day after day for a professional mechanic than a tool good enough for part time use on your weekend hot rod.

If you break one at work you loose time and money. Break one at home and you can just get another tomorrow. $19.95 for a cheap tool X2 when it breaks = $39.90. Good tool that last's, $29.95 and life time warranty priceless, and, cheaper in the long run. :D
That is the exact reason I use primarily Craftsman tools, if they do break I can easily have it replaced for free......

I do own quite a few MAC, Snap-on, etc. and like the quality of the tools but for the price difference if I can't find them at a bargain then I have no issues going to Sears.

#16 · (Edited)
sqzbox said:

Exactly! I was not going to comment this time but you make the point I have argued forever about why buying the best makes a lot of sense for the professional. I keep hearing "but all I have to do is take my Craftsman back to Sears", sure they will replace it free of charge BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT!!! I don't care how easy it is to get a broken tool replaced it's the time lost, the rounded fasteners, the broken tool that causes lost time waiting to be replaced and of course the busted knuckles. A free replacement warranty don't mean squat when the tool fails when you need it and although I know some will not believe it there are many times when a Snap-On or similar will remove a stubborn fastener when a Craftsman, etc will either break or will round off the corners and slip, I have personally seen this a bunch of times.

It's not how easy a tool is to get replaced, it's how well they serve you when the chips are down that counts. Sure Sears will replace that broken socket, ratchet, etc BUT will they pay you for your lost time? Will they explain to the boss or customer what's taking so long? Will they give you a box of Bandaids? Just about every POS sold today including HF will exchange a broken tool ! :rolleyes: It's not how good the warranty is it's how often you have to use it that matters!

EDIT: I mentioned Craftsman too many times and it looks as if I was picking on them but I was not. Craftsman tools are excellent home shop tools and I did not mean they are poor quality, just that real pro tools are (at least were in years past) a much better choice for the pro making a living with his tools.

#17 ·
sqzbox said:

If you compare snap-on to craftsman, it's more than $20 compared to $40.

It's more like $20 compared to $140, in the case of a 1/2 drive ratchet anyways (other things of similar proportion too). Putting things into perspective makes all the difference in the world.

I would be willing to wager that any pro would have more than just 1 ratchet, 1 wrench of a common given size, 1 socket etc. etc. so in the event of a broken tool he is not SOL. There is something else he can use in the waiting time so no real loss of time and money. There may be an inconvenience, but thats all most of the time.

I used to use craftsman and sk, but after using snap-on I will never look back. It is so much nicer, pleasant to use and more durable. They are built to much better specs and it shows. I don't wrench for a living, but I can afford snap on, I like snap-on so thats what I use.

#18 ·
I will say this, I've had much better luck getting replacement parts and warranty from Sears than I ever got from Snap-On. The Sears guys just take whatever I give them and says pick another one off the shelf including entire ratchets since they don't rebuild them anymore.

Last time I tried to get a fine tooth ratchet repair kit from the Snap-On guy he never orders it (apparently he doesn't keep fine tooth kits in stock?) and conveniently forgets to ever order me one.

Its not just one Snap-On guy either, I've tried a few. I eventually got into an argument with the last one after I offered to pay for the kit...actually two so I would have a spare.

Not only did he not order the parts but he argued that they don't make them anymore and "I must have the last one in existence". I eventually gave in and put a coarse tooth kit in just so I had a working tool, but I bought a fine tooth 3/8" ratchet for a reason and paid top dollar for it.

Won't get another dime from me buddy, never again...I don't care how pretty they are.

#19 · (Edited)
To those that have bad snap-on service....

A few weeks ago I e-mailed snap on and told them I needed warranty service on a ratchet and that I did not have a reliable dealer.

They responded within 24hours with a form for me to fill out. Part #, name, address, e-mail address etc. etc.

I filled it out, sent it to them and it was forewarded to the warranty department. They sent me a new ratchet via UPS without hassel. They didn't ask for the old one back, didn't ask for pics, proof of purchase, or anything. I had the new ratchet within 8 days of my first e-mail to them. So now I have a brand new one (this is one that does not say USA on it) as well as my broken one.

You can also buy from snap-on's web site, although I have yet to do that.

This was good service in my opinion. I couldent have expected more.

Anyone that has a bad dealer or no dealer at all but still want to use their product ought to deal with snap-on directly and also eBay is another good option for buying.

#20 ·
z-adamson said:
To those that have bad snap-on service....

A few weeks ago I e-mailed snap on and told them I needed warranty service on a ratchet and that I did not have a reliable dealer.

They responded within 24hours with a form for me to fill out. Part #, name, address, e-mail address etc. etc.

I filled it out, sent it to them and it was forewarded to the warranty department. They sent me a new ratchet via UPS without hassel. They didn't ask for the old one back, didn't ask for pics, proof of purchase, or anything. I had the new ratchet within 8 days of my first e-mail to them. So now I have a brand new one (this is one that does not say USA on it) as well as my broken one.

You can also buy from snap-on's web site, although I have yet to do that.

This was good service in my opinion. I couldent have expected more.

Anyone that has a bad dealer or no dealer at all but still want to use their product ought to deal with snap-on directly and also eBay is another good option for buying.
Customer service like that is pretty impressive. :thumbup:

Brian

#21 ·
I'de say that 85% of my tools are Craftsman, but almost ALL my ratchets are Snap-On. Just a better tool, far fewer issues and always works as needed. I only found out after a mechanic buddy gave me an older Snap-On ratchet that was broken for free. I gave it to the local Snap-On guy and he fixed it with a rebuild kit for no charge. Turned out to be one of the best ratchets I've ever used...so I've bought more of them. I tend to buy the industrial models off Ebay, as they run less money than the regular mechanics stuff. They don't have any chrome on them.
Haven't really seen a need yet to have other Snap-On tools yet...but you never know.

#22 ·
MARTINSR said:
Customer service like that is pretty impressive. :thumbup:

Brian
I'm going to give this route a try, I really miss my fine tooth...it was my favorite ratchet.

Moral of the story don't loan your favorite tool to someone who will abuse it.

#23 ·
4 Jaw Chuck said:
I'm going to give this route a try, I really miss my fine tooth...it was my favorite ratchet.

Moral of the story don't loan your favorite tool to someone who will abuse it.
Go to snapon.com -> customer service tab on the bottom -> online internet customer service (hit "click here") -> scroll down the "select a topic" and choose "other" -> fill everything out and explain your situation

You need warranty service and you have no reliable dealer. You are a legitamite snap-on customer that wants to continue to use snap-on tools but unfortunatly you have no means of getting any representaion so you have to deal direct.

#26 ·
MARTINSR said:
That's cool, I have an old military 5/16" SnapOn ratchet.
Brian

I have a Snap-On 5/8" drive set that I got back in the early 70's, but I think they still had them until just a few years ago. The story behind mine, I was told, was they came from an assembly plant in Michigan where the ratchets were kept at the assembly line attached to a small steel cable to prevent employee theft and the sockets weren't stolen because nobody wanted them. Apparently these were special items because the ratchet handle has a lanyard ring for the cable welded to the handle that was chrome plated as part of the tool.

For some reason no one ever wanted to borrow sockets! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.