Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   New Snap-on tools don't say USA anymore? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/new-snap-tools-dont-say-usa-anymore-201431.html)

z-adamson 07-04-2011 12:10 PM

New Snap-on tools don't say USA anymore?

Recently got a few new ratchets and wrenches and none say USA on them like they used to.

Ratchets are "dual 80" and wrenches are the ratcheting wrenches.

Anyone else noticed this?

When did they first remove the "USA" from their product?

Anyone have info on why they did this? Are they really no longer American made or did they remove the "USA" for some other reason...ie trying to appeal to a global market some countries of which may not think highly of America.

Steel 07-04-2011 12:42 PM

I may be mistaken but I do believe that Snap-on moved most of their production overseas.

I don't make a living wrenching so maybe my opinion is not as valid as some that do but I feel they are overpriced for what you get anymore, there used to be a large gap in quality between the Snap-on, Mac, Proto and tools like Craftsman. I just don't see it anymore, plus if I break one I just mosey on down to Sears and get it replaced........

OneMoreTime 07-04-2011 12:48 PM

Snap On Corp is a 2.8 billion dollar corporation doing business in 150 countries so i suppose some of their products are made off-shore..

Sam

z-adamson 07-04-2011 01:17 PM

Funny thing is, I sent an e-mail to Snap-on about this and whoever it is that does the responding is extreemly evasive and wont say much more than "I don't know why it doesnt say USA". Either they are hiding something or the folks that respond to e-mail are way out of the loop.

I don't wrench for a living either, but I do still feel that Snap-on is above the competition in most things. Perhaps that extra level of quality isn't always needed and maybe the HIGH price tag doesnt make it worth it it all cases, but the quality is still there in my opinion.

sqzbox 07-04-2011 01:34 PM

There is a thread multi pages long about SNAP OFF tools.
Down at the bottom of this page there is a similar thread 9/25/2010. Click on it and save us some more pain. :D

cobalt327 07-04-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z-adamson
Recently got a few new ratchets and wrenches and none say USA on them like they used to.

Ratchets are "dual 80" and wrenches are the ratcheting wrenches.

Anyone else noticed this?

When did they first remove the "USA" from their product?

Anyone have info on why they did this? Are they really no longer American made or did they remove the "USA" for some other reason...ie trying to appeal to a global market some countries of which may not think highly of America.

Air compressor from Snap On- http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/snap...nk-201167.html

ss27 07-04-2011 08:15 PM

snap on tools

I dont think too many things are made in the good old U S of A any more before too long the overseas people will find out how to make immitation AMERICANS. Here,s an interestig thing that i found out a few month,s ago. The parent Co .of SNAP ON TOOLS is WILLIAM,S SUPER WRENCH AN OLD OLD AMERICAN CO. THEY also make KOBALT TOOLS FOR LOWE,S no DOUBT they are made overseas by one of the better manufacturers. I certainly don,t believe that they use a different steel mixture for the different names either. I have a bunch of good old stuff snap on vulcan tools mac matco cornwell HERBRAND BONNEY proto etc but i also have some good overseas sockets and wrenches . Can they compare to the old tools as far as quality chrome finnish and size absolutely not ,but in all truthfullness i cant see a difference in todays tools between the good stuff and the knock offs THAT,S MY 2 CENTS WORTH. ALEX

heathj1 07-04-2011 08:45 PM

Did the price of the snap on tools go down since they are made in china now?

z-adamson 07-05-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heathj1
Did the price of the snap on tools go down since they are made in china now?

Prices are still the about the same.

As for wrenches and ratchets and sockets they are supposedly still made in America, but they just fail to say so on the tool, which I find rather odd. There has to be some reason for it.

T-bucket23 07-05-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z-adamson
, but they just fail to say so on the tool, which I find rather odd. There has to be some reason for it.

Probably because it is against the law for them to put it on them if it isn't true. Evidently their 500% profit margin wasnt enough, they need a little more so they are manufacturing in China or Malaysia now.

DanTwoLakes 07-05-2011 10:17 AM

I am going to post this copy and paste from a website called StillmadeinUSA.com:

"Snap-on Tools: a business division of Snap-on Inc., Snap-on Tools Group manufactures tools for motor vehicle service and repair at 4 facilities in the U.S. (Elkmont, AL; Algona, IA; Elizabethton, TN; and Milwaukee, WI). Known for their franchised dealer vans, Snap-on tools are now also available online. Many, but not all, tools imprinted with the Snap-on name are made in US, other tool brands (including Blue Point) are imported. County of origin is provided for each product on the Snap-On website, so check before you purchase."

Here's an example:CLICK HERE

MARTINSR 07-05-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel
I may be mistaken but I do believe that Snap-on moved most of their production overseas.

I don't make a living wrenching so maybe my opinion is not as valid as some that do but I feel they are overpriced for what you get anymore, there used to be a large gap in quality between the Snap-on, Mac, Proto and tools like Craftsman. I just don't see it anymore, plus if I break one I just mosey on down to Sears and get it replaced........

I have preached and preached to buy the best tools you can afford. But over the last few years I have begain to believe exactly as you have said, there just isn't that big of a difference anymore. And by the way, it makes me sick to see this. Harbor Freight, it is STILL junk, but the middle of the road stuff like Craftsmen, S&K, and others are PLENTY good and often even the Harbor Freight is "good enough".

Brian

OneMoreTime 07-05-2011 02:35 PM

At the end of the day good enough is good enough..So why pay any more than you need to to get the tool that works.

Sam

sqzbox 07-05-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
At the end of the day good enough is good enough..So why pay any more than you need to to get the tool that works.

Sam

BIG difference in having a quality tool/tools that hold up day after day for a professional mechanic than a tool good enough for part time use on your weekend hot rod.

If you break one at work you loose time and money. Break one at home and you can just get another tomorrow. $19.95 for a cheap tool X2 when it breaks = $39.90. Good tool that last's, $29.95 and life time warranty priceless, and, cheaper in the long run. :D

Steel 07-05-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sqzbox
BIG difference in having a quality tool/tools that hold up day after day for a professional mechanic than a tool good enough for part time use on your weekend hot rod.

If you break one at work you loose time and money. Break one at home and you can just get another tomorrow. $19.95 for a cheap tool X2 when it breaks = $39.90. Good tool that last's, $29.95 and life time warranty priceless, and, cheaper in the long run. :D

That is the exact reason I use primarily Craftsman tools, if they do break I can easily have it replaced for free......

I do own quite a few MAC, Snap-on, etc. and like the quality of the tools but for the price difference if I can't find them at a bargain then I have no issues going to Sears.