Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New Solid Roller Cam Question
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 04:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New Solid Roller Cam Question

Hello all. I just received a new Comp solid roller cam that I custom ordered - (steel billet small base circle, pressed on iron gear, 230/236 @ .050, .553/.565 lift, lsa @ 110, cl @ 106) for my 383 SBC in an effort to make my car more streetable (replaced my Isky RR-602 & SRP 13.1 pistons).

I opened the box and was surprised at the size and width of the lobes. I've been measuring with my calipers to check the lobe lift and base circle and still cant verify the same specs as the cam card. Also, the width of the lobes just barely matches the width of the rollers on my lifters, and there is almost no backside the the lobes at all....like the lifter will ride along the base circle itself as it travels around the lobe.

The lobes have an almost cathedral shape to them and with the narrow width, you would think any deviation with endplay would cause the lifter to hang off the lobe. I have a hydraulic roller cam for another motor in my truck (std base) that has less lift and duration but the lobes look bigger and encompass the entire base and are also wider.

Maybe its unjustified, but I'm a little concerned at this point and was hoping others could chime in. Anyone see a grind like this? (pics attached)

I should also note that Comp tech said it was based on thier Extreme Energy grinds, but none of the extreme energy cams I looked at looked like this.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cam1.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	64144   Click image for larger version

Name:	cam2.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	64145  

Last edited by leverhead; 03-20-2012 at 04:29 PM.