Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   new spray on chrome (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/new-spray-chrome-170169.html)

Modern_twist 12-18-2009 11:12 PM

new spray on chrome

We just got a new spray on chrome system at our shop last week and that stuff is cool. We started playing with it a little and its pretty crazy one second the part is in the prep stage next bam its chrome. Cool stuff that I honestly thought was crap before i saw it.

oldBodyman 12-18-2009 11:25 PM

details, details, DETAILS.

cjperotti 12-19-2009 12:00 AM

Definitely details. I've been researching this chrome technique.

Research has given me this so far. Must be sprayed from bottom up. Can only be sprayed in one direction, that is, if spraying a door for example you must spray from bottom up and if you start from left to right you cannot continue with a back spray. you must end then bring the gun back to end you started otherwise it will cloud the finish.

Second, can't be clear-coated till fully cured or it will dull and be cloudy, and lastly the chrome paint generally begins peeling within a year or so.

dalesy 12-19-2009 03:14 PM

Go to alsacorp.com

They've even got it in spray cans! Wild stuff.

jeremyb 12-19-2009 03:23 PM

the alsa stuff is junk. not even the same stuff as this spray on chrome.

this spray on chrome isn't a paint. it's actual metal particals in a liquid state sprayed through a special gun. You have to buy the whole setup. The base line is like 3-4 grand.

http://sprayonchrome.com
http://www.goldtouchinc.com/

those are the 2 companies that offer it.

Bayou_Eagle 12-19-2009 08:08 PM

ALSA has a solvent chrome (Mirror Chrome/Ghost Chrome) and the 2 step chrome process (ChromeFx) like the one from sprayonchrome. The 2 step actually is the same process used to make the silver layer on glass. It makes a very fine layer of silver. I am hearing of a lot of delamination from the 2 step process and some from the solvent chrome. They both give real chrome looks but the solvent chrome is a little harder to get the mirror look (tricky to clear and keep looking mirror). The 2 step silver process like spray on chrome is expensive and requires special equipment but works better if you are chroming a lot of parts and using it repeatedly. Problem with the silver process is it can corrode and tarnish. You've probably seen it on mirrors in bathrooms (dark areas coming in from edges) and real silver wear that some folks have. Neither are perfect but both can give some really cool effects used alone or especially under a good candy.

302 Z28 12-19-2009 09:56 PM

Anything except real chrome is junk, plain and simple.

Vince

dalesy 12-20-2009 08:04 AM

I agree that real chrome is the best. There are several alternatives, though, that can "do" until the budget or final plans allow.

I disagree about Alsa being junk. It's not the same system as originally outlined, but what car owner is going to fork out that much money for any system that will only be used once, or in a home/shop scenario? Alsa's Mirror Chrome, as well as many of their other paint systems are pretty neat. Not chrome; but.....

There is also another system that I've seen briefly; called Cosmichrome. It was briefly described in reference to a car covered in the current edition of Street Rodder. It is a water-based system that can be used on metal, wood, plastic, and lots of other stuff. Wow, imagine the possibilities......chrome seats, chrome tires, chrome.....whatever.

Countilaw 12-20-2009 02:33 PM

Got that right 302!!!! But it would be good to see this stuff. There might be something it's good for.

302 Z28 12-20-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalesy

There is also another system that I've seen briefly; called Cosmichrome. It was briefly described in reference to a car covered in the current edition of Street Rodder. It is a water-based system that can be used on metal, wood, plastic, and lots of other stuff. Wow, imagine the possibilities......chrome seats, chrome tires, chrome.....whatever.

In the software industry a product that claims to do all sorts of stuff way better than what your using currently is called "vaporware", kninda sounds like that. :D

Vince

cjperotti 12-20-2009 06:38 PM

The more I read about this system and process the more I learn and realize.

Sure, all the big name car manufacturers use these types of equipment and processes to chrome parts of the cars we purchase. Thatís no big secret. For the most part the cars look great on the showroom floors. However, one thing I have noticed is that all these parts over time begin bubbling and peeling for no apparent reason. That in itself should tell you something about itís durability.

This process is still in itís infancy as being marketed to shops as an add-on product service or start up business. However, I see it getting a Maaco or Earl Schieb reputation in the near future. I guess you would have to decide whether you want to associate your name or business with it.

eloc431962 12-20-2009 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Anything except real chrome is junk, plain and simple.

Vince

I totally agree, I have never seen a spray that could be even close to the real thing.

Cole

Wraith 12-20-2009 07:37 PM

It's Cheaper to do it right the first time then have to do it a second time.

428ho 12-21-2009 03:01 PM

I'd be interested to find someone that could do it for a decent price.
I like the look of Chrome Bumpers on my race car, but dropping 50 lbs is more important, so Fiberglass it is.

raceral 07-21-2011 01:45 PM

Hang on boys and girls... in the next few months we will give you a place to get Cosmichrome done. Getting the shop lined up now.
:welcome:
We have not got our web site ready yet. It will be [url************************[/url]