New spray gun ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 05:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New spray gun ?

hey guys I have had a devilbiss suction feed spray gun for about the last 10 years. It holds a quart of paint. It is the only style of gun I have ever used. I am looking for something smaller for painting touch ups or just one fender so I don't waste so much paint when mixing it up. I would like to find another suction gun from devilbliss like I have just holds less paint. But I can't find any smaller guns from them that are suction feed. Why does there seem to be more gravity feed guns? Also can someone recommend a gun that may only be used a few times a year with a quality spray? I will mostly use it to spray enamels paints. I don't want to spend much as the gun I have was under $50 and this one won't see much use either....

Thanks....

Brandon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 06:23 PM

I've been doing some more research and I think the gravity feed gun would be nice to have for getting into tight spots. However:

-Is it possible to get one that is not a Hvlp type? I have never used that style of gun and hardly get to use it enough to learn. Or are the hvlp easier to use than the older style?

-This may be a stupid question but how does one pour the paint into the gravity feed gun? Is there a stand included with all gravity feed guns to hold the cup when filling it?

-Also once its loaded can you set it down on its side or will it leak?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

Yes, they make stands for gravity feed guns, or just hold it upright while you pour and load up the gun. No you really shouldn't tip it over, but it wouldn't really spill much of anything even if you laid it on its side, unless the cap popped off. A gravity feed will shoot a stream of paint out the nozzle though if you pull back the trigger, even if air isn't hooked up, unlike siphon feed.

A really didn't like gravity feed when I first used one, was a bit awkward at first learning on conventional, then having the weight on the top. Once you get use to them, you will like them. I also didn't like hvlp when first used them early 90's. Now I shoot with all hvlp, and like them, and really like having less material waste and overspray. I believe hvlp is much improved today over years ago. Like anything else, just takes a little use to get to know it and how to get the best results.

Big advantage to gravity feed, is it can spray all the paint in the gun, until completely gone, unlike siphon feed that always a little left in the bottom of the cup that the siphon tube won't pick up. Also gravity feed makes fluid delvery easier, and can be done at lower pressure, which makes them popular for hvlp guns. One of my hvlp guns is conventional feed, but has a pressurized cup, so that helps with fluid delievery and the pressure needed to atomize.

You can get conventional guns in gravity feed.
Harbor freight has several campbell hausfield touch up guns, both siphon and gravity feed. Actually aint all that bad for the price if only will be used occasionally.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:44 PM

Hello I found 2 at northern freight that I might like but I they are almost identical so i need someone to tell me what the differences will affect. Here arre the links.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47016

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91009

One of the guns is 5cfm the other is 6cfm. one works at 50-60psi other is 50-70psi....

-Both state they are good for oil based paint. Now I will be spraying enamel
paint, is that oil based?

Thanks for the help!!!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.