New Start up...350 efi timing help?? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 05:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbazabba View Post
I have a 5.7 350 vortec .30 over
comp cams 08-300-8 (grind cs 262h-r12)
duration at .050 206(intake) and 210(exhaust)

First ever turn of the key in the truck it started and ran.

Immediately it was off.

The idle seemed way low. about 500 rpm if i let it fall it would die.

The engine seemed sluggish not firing right.

I have reset the distributor many times and have had it hard to start or just crank crank crank. Both.

Has started several times during distributor re-positioning.

Yes I will test the crank sensor.

A local shop owner says you absolutely have to use a computer to set the timing on these?

Any thoughts on that? Software to buy?

I'm tempted to fork over some dough and get this done at the shop.

Thanks for the help.
OK now some more data it actually started an ran at one point. OK the bomb shell I was holding back,,, you just can't stick a different cam into a fuel injected engine!!!

Now you need to look at an external data processor to be added to your computer that defines the changes made to the engine, or a computer tune down load.

Go here FastChip

Bogie

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 05:59 PM

Last photo:

I do already have scanXL with gm enhanced but I can't figure out if I can read the "CMP offset" or "camshaft retard offset".

Heres the procedure:

Perform the Camshaft Retard Offset adjustment procedure as follows:

With the engine OFF slightly loosen the distributor hold down bolt.
Start the engine and raise the engine speed to 1000 RPM.
Using the scan tool monitor the camshaft retard offset.
Rotate the distributor as follows:
To compensate for a negative reading rotate the distributor in the counterclockwise direction.
To compensate for a positive reading rotate the distributor in the clockwise direction.
Repeat step 4 until 0 degrees offset is obtained.
When 0 degrees has been obtained turn OFF the ignition and tighten the distributor hold down bolt.

The owner of the speed shop where I got the machine work done insists that this cam works in this engine just fine with no PCM mods.

Is he lying to me?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Old & Furious

Seen this on another forum dont hate me...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=54165. Is the user that posted this reply.
But while searching for a solution at the time, some one did say that the distributor it's self has a "#1" mark on it. Put the #1 cylinder at TDC and pull the distributor cap. Then just stab the distributor so the rotor is in line with the "#1" mark (or just turn the dissy if you never removed it in the first place). If you are still getting the code at that point, turn the distributor slightly to time. You need to rev above 1200rpm for the code to reset. There should be a +/- 2* window to prevent the CMP code.

Looks like you got to get the distributer within 1 or 2 degrees of perfect for it to work. Then hold above idle until the code clears to check and see if it worked. Did you have the distributer pointing at the #1 position or the mark for number one. Also may not be the same as old chevy bet mark is not lined up perfectly with #1 cylinder so you move the dist a few degrees at a time and can never get it close enough to be dead on.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

The Distributor actually has a number 6 and a number 8 stamped into the inside of the distributor housing.

The numbers are inside of a triangle pointer thing.

I have had the pointer any where from one tooth behind where the #1 spark post goes in the cap.. to one tooth ahead of the number 8(in the pointer).

I am about to hook up with the cpu and get a CMP offset reading. Get back to u soon.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

Well now I'm just getting a hard to crank symptom.

At a loss once more.

Does anyone know exactly where the dizzy pointer needs to be pointing?

To the number 8 stamped into the dizzy or to number one post or where?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Well now I'm just getting a hard to crank symptom.

At a loss once more.

Does anyone know exactly where the dizzy pointer needs to be pointing?

To the number 8 stamped into the dizzy or to number one post or where?
Well cap and dizzy move right? So its got to be the number one cylinder or a mark somewhere that allows you to align the distributor to something that does not move around or has an alignment mark.

Older chevy is rotor pointing at number one cylinder. Seems here there is another mark for you to align the dizzy too. Might need the shop manual to find the correct location. A picture would help alot. Did you take any before the engine came apart.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

No pictures.

I've tried all the spots with no luck.

Its going to the shop.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The Distributor actually has a number 6 and a number 8 stamped into the inside of the distributor housing.

The numbers are inside of a triangle pointer thing.

I have had the pointer any where from one tooth behind where the #1 spark post goes in the cap.. to one tooth ahead of the number 8(in the pointer).

I am about to hook up with the cpu and get a CMP offset reading. Get back to u soon.
The rotor should be pointing at the number 8 mark when the distributor is installed and #1 cylinder is on TDC. The intake and the distributor body are also marked at the factory.
The engine should start and run fine without adjusting the cam position sensor offset but for best performance it has to be done with a scanner, with the engine at operating temperature. I have regular OTC scanner that does it.

Rotate the number 1 cylinder to Top Dead Center (TDC) of the compression stroke. The engine front cover has 2 alignment tabs and the crankshaft balancer has 2 alignment marks (spaced 90 apart) which are used for positioning number 1 piston at Top Dead Center (TDC) . With the piston on the compression stroke and at top dead center, the crankshaft balancer alignment mark (1) must align with the engine front cover tab (2) and the crankshaft balancer alignment mark (4) must align with the engine front cover tab (3).

Rotate the crankshaft balancer clockwise until the alignment marks on the crankshaft balancer are aligned with the tabs on the engine front cover and the number 1 piston is at top dead center of the compression stroke.

Align white paint mark on the bottom stem of the distributor, and the pre-drilled indent hole in the bottom of the gear (3). NOTE: The OBD II ignition system distributor driven gear and rotor may be installed in multiple positions. In order to avoid mistakes, mark the distributor on the following components in order to ensure the same mounting position upon reassembly:
The distributor driven gear
The distributor shaft
The rotor holes

Installing the driven gear 180 degrees out of alignment, or locating the rotor in the wrong holes, will cause a no-start condition. Premature engine wear or damage may result.

With the gear in this position, the rotor segment should be positioned as shown for a V6 engine (1) or V8 engine (2).
The alignment will not be exact.
If the driven gear is installed incorrectly, the dimple will be approximately 180 degrees opposite of the rotor segment when the gear is installed in the distributor.
Using a long screw driver, align the oil pump drive shaft to the drive tab of the distributor.

Guide the distributor into the engine. Ensure that the spark plug towers are perpendicular to the centerline of the engine.

Once the distributor is fully seated, the rotor segment should be aligned with the pointer cast into the distributor base.
This pointer may have a 6 cast into it, indicating that the distributor is to be used on a 6 cylinder engine or a 8 cast into it, indicating that the distributor is to be used on a 8 cylinder engine.
If the rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the pointer, the gear mesh between the distributor and the camshaft may be off a tooth or more.
If this is the case, repeat the procedure again in order to achieve proper alignment.

Click the image to open in full size.

Install the distributor mounting clamp bolt. Tighten the distributor clamp bolt to 25 N.m (18 lb ft).
Install the distributor cap.
Install two NEW distributor cap screws. Tighten the screws to 2.4 N.m (21 lb in) .
Install the electrical connector to the distributor.
Install the spark plug wires to the distributor cap.
Install the ignition coil wire. The wire must not touch anything like the dip stick. Rubbing will make a ground/short after time of use.
For V-8 engines, connect a scan tool.
Monitor the Camshaft ****** Offset value. Refer to Computers and Control Systems Camshaft ****** Offset Adjustment. IMPORTANT: If the Malfunction Indicator lamp is turned on after installing the distributor, and a DTC P1345 is found, the distributor has been installed incorrectly.
Refer to Installation Procedure 2 for proper distributor installation.

Tags
350, chevy, efi timing, ignition timing, start-up

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.