New starter killing battery? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

New starter killing battery?

I put a new mini starter in my car (first gen Camaro) it works perfectly, starts no problem, etc.. but since I installed it.. my battery dies if it sits for more than a day or two.. Also while reconnecting the battery after fixing some stuff, I noticed the neg terminal sparked.. indicating that something is drawing power.

The new mini starter only has 2 terminals, vs my stock 3. Both the instructions and Summit tech support said to leave the one wire off and just tape it up basically.. which is what I did. The other two wires are connected, and like I said.... it starts perfectly... but I feel like it's drawing power somehow.

Any ideas? Should I have not just taped the other wire? Did I put the wrong wire on? There was a thin wire and a thicker wire.. both said to keep the thicker wire.

Since I don't have a points ignition, I've read I don't need the R terminal wire.. which I assume is the one I eliminated... but why is it all of a sudden drawing power?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 12:18 PM

Last photo:

power draw

if u can get to the starter big cable?? leave the battery hooked up and pull off the starter wire.. if it sparks u found the problem. it should not spark unless the starter coil is bad or the contacts are close enough to ark but not closed enough to power the starter.. if u made changes somewhere else u gotta go there too...
Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

I would not recommend removing the "starter big cable" with the battery hooked up to see if it sparks. While the test is sound....... I'd unhook the battery, remove the pos cable at the starter, use an ohm meter to see if the starter stud is shorted to ground.

I would also check to see if the smaller wire, the one you taped, is still connected to the pos terminal on the coil.

When you put the pos cable on the starter is it touching the starter housing? Sometimes the cable end gets warped oblonged etc..... and when you tighten it down it skews a bit and makes contact etc......
The Following User Says Thank You to EOD Guy For This Useful Post:
delawarebill (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 06:26 AM

Last photo:

excellent point eod

safer to do what he said... my way has a chance of smoke testing your battery..
Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

The problem CAN NOT be the starter it is either a wire toucking making a short OR the starter solenoid as the starter does not have voltage on it until solenoid is engaged when ignition is turned to start ,
Old 03-28-2013, 04:05 AM

Last photo:

I have no idea what the last post was about, If the only thing you have changed was the starter and the only wire eliminated was the coil + wire from the "R" terminal (and it was disconnected from the coil)........ it's either the mounting of the wires on the solenoid or the POS cable from the battery has rubbed thru or your it's a internally shorted soleniod. You might try removing the starter, hook all the wires up, as if it were mounted in the car, and see if the issue goes away......... if the wires were correct..... it's got to be a bad starter solenoid
Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy View Post
I have no idea what the last post was about, If the only thing you have changed was the starter and the only wire eliminated was the coil + wire from the "R" terminal (and it was disconnected from the coil)........ it's either the mounting of the wires on the solenoid or the POS cable from the battery has rubbed thru or your it's a internally shorted soleniod. You might try removing the starter, hook all the wires up, as if it were mounted in the car, and see if the issue goes away......... if the wires were correct..... it's got to be a bad starter solenoid
You can ckeck for a short without removing starter ,remove positive battery cable hook a test light between battery an d battery cable if it glows you have a short ,make sure everything is turned off fuse removed from Radio ,memory will show as short,if no light you are good,also check the heavy wire coming from solonoib up to back of alternator that is how your battery recharges if left off battery will not charge .again starter cannot kill battery only the solonoid,
Old 03-28-2013, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

I agree you can check for a short without removing the starter but it might not be conclusive.........

In your case I don't recommend removing all the fuses and doing the meter across the battery post and cable, unless you know what your looking at and have done it before, it's kind of daunting and depending on what equipment is installed in the vehicle, you have to wait between pulling the next fuse etc..... to allow any capicitors to bleed off........ and "if it glows" dosen't mean you have a short, it means you have a current draw, that draw could be a short or just a normal draw that's supposed to be there.........much quicker to drop the starter etc.....

It is incorrect about the starter not being able to cause a short and drain the battery....... If the braided cable coming out of the starter motor (that attaches to the solenoid) is frayed and making contact with the pos cable (that's also mounted to the solenoid) then the starter is causing the short and will drain the battery. Probably rare but it is possible...... again much quicker to drop the starter etc.....

That being said..... IMO, due to you only having changed the starter.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:27 AM

Another chance to sing the praises of Mark Hamiltion of MadElectrical.com

He makes a kit to rewire the starter motor, to eliminate just the sort of problem being contemplated here. The red battery cable is normally dead, and only receives power when the ignition switch is in the Start position. Also eliminates the small wires to the starter that tend to get singed in the heat. Also drastically reduces the current that must go through the iginition switch, saving electrical strain on the switch, and providing full 12 volts to the starter solenoid. A win-win-win situation.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

You can make your own kit using a ford starter relay

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.