Hot Rod Forum banner

New starter too close to headers? plus more.

10K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  sune 
#1 ·
Hi Guys.

I just replaced my old starter on my 68 camaro big block. The old starter wouldn't turn the engine when it was hot. I was told that it was because that the starter got too hot? is that right? Well anyways I replaced it with a new mini gear starter, since I thought that that would have more clearance to the headers, but it sits pretty close to the headers. There is only about 4-5mm of air between the two.

Will I be okay? Or will I just end up frying my new starter? Or did the old starter just die because it was old and not because of the heat?

I haven't tried to restart the car when it is hot yet.

I would hate to thrash a new starter because didn't do it right the first time around.... so any input will be appreciated.

Sune

#2 ·
Hi Mate

I had the same problem. The excess heat makes the starter tired when hot and it wont turn the engine over... When I replaced my starter I put Heat bandadge round the header and I havn't had a problem at all. I have since sold the car and the new owner hasn't had any problems either...

Easy and simple:thumbup:

#4 ·
Instead of using a wrap on the headers; either put a wrap around the starter, install a heat shield, and/or install a Ford remote mounted solenoid.

The header wrap will destroy your headers in a short time.

#5 ·
Frisco said:
Instead of using a wrap on the headers; either put a wrap around the starter, install a heat shield, and/or install a Ford remote mounted solenoid.

The header wrap will destroy your headers in a short time.

Okay... I don't think there is room for a heat shield without it touching either the starter or the header tube or both, there is only about 4 mm of space. Is it the same wrapping for the starter that is used on headers? or is it something different?

Sune

#6 ·
sune said:
Okay... I don't think there is room for a heat shield without it touching either the starter or the header tube or both, there is only about 4 mm of space. Is it the same wrapping for the starter that is used on headers? or is it something different?

Sune
It is a similar material.

Go to the Summit site (www.summitracing.com) and look up part numbers

DEI-010402 and THE-14150.

There are probably others as well. Both are designed specifically for heat shielding of starter motors.

#11 ·
Ohh I didn't know that it could be turned ... I just bolted it on. :drunk: About the cables.. I don't think that is the problem. I have a real fat cable (about the same thickness as my pinkie) going from the battery to the starter, and engine to chassis and chassis to body flat ground strips...

I guess I'm gonna check out this turning the starter around and if that dosen't work I'll have to get that heat shield thingy, or maybe both? How much clearance is needed with or without the heat shield ???

Sune

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.