new style GM antifreeze beware - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2003, 07:03 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

new style GM antifreeze beware

Beware new style GM antifreeze (pink style) will gel up and can cause major damage if not changed regularly our 99 grand prix just started to gel had it completely flushed out put regular (green) back in was caught in time no damage.Was told by mechanic had seen some completely blocked,major damaged,he said if using pink should be changed with new every 25,000-30,000 miles.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2003, 11:23 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

MIxing the 2 styles of coolant will cause the geling. Technically you should have your coolant system flushed out every so often. Every manufacturer has their own recommended intervals. So it isn't just the 'NEW' style antifreeze. If I were you(honestly) I would go to the parts store and buy a couple gallons of the 'new' GM antifreeze and go to a different mechanic and have the GREEN flushed out and replaced with the Pink. Thats what the cooling system was designed to use and when you start mixing the 2 you ARE going to get the geling and corrosion. The mechanic is right to a point...EVERY cooling system needs flushed avery so many thousand miles, same as the brake fluid and trans fluid and yes even the oil too.

To make this short, the Antifreeze isn't actually geling...it is the corrosion that is building up in the engine that you see. And more than likely some 'green' coolant was probably 'accidently' mixed with it at one time or another....Just a guess. I have never seen coolant itself 'gel' up. But mixed with something not compatible, will cause different effects.

Just my theory I guess...but who am I?
Later,
WEIMER
Old 09-22-2003, 11:51 AM
Kenneth Howard hates me...

Last journal entry: Engine mock up
Last photo:

The Dexacool i bought was orange? Had a stuck therostat and it killed my water pump.

C
Old 09-22-2003, 12:16 PM
Last photo:

I converted both my GM vehicles to Dexcool with no problems. Both are well over 100,000 miles with zero problems. As stated above, all traces of the old style coolant must be flushed from the existing system, and the system must be clean or problems will develop.

Vince

Quote:
Originally posted by fat50
The Dexacool i bought was orange? Had a stuck therostat and it killed my water pump.

C
I hate to dissagree with you, but the Dexcool didn't kill your water pump, it was already on the way out. Dexcool is actually easier on the pump than the old style coolant.

Vince
Old 09-22-2003, 01:07 PM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last photo:

I understand what you guys are saying on regular maintence on any vehicle we bought the car new as far as I know there was no mixture between the green and pink coolant talked to some other people they had same problem anyway just wanted to bring it other peoples attention and if it did have some mixture at one time that could have been the problem.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:02 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

cant mix pink/orange with green, just found that out. what you have to remember, is that if you flush out the system, you have to turn on the heater to get out the fluid from the heater core. maybe that is what happened
Old 09-22-2003, 11:27 PM

Last photo:

Dex Cool vs.Green anti freeze

I just replaced the Dex Cool antifreeze in my '96 Beretta Z26 at 94,000 miles .Had no problems to that point ,and actually GM at the time claimed that it could be run for 100,000 mi. DexCool is silica free ,and was meant to be used in engines/cooling systems that had aluminum parts ,to extend THEIR life .I normally flush regular antifreeze every 2 years ,and probably would have replaced the DexCool soon anyway ,but mine also started to "gel up"due to my letting the moron at the local lube shop change my oil ,and top off the other fluids .His "expertise"just hastened the need to flush .Sound like a possible explanation ,Zonk?Seriously ,switch back to what the car maker had in it originally,and also, ---switch mechanics .
P.S.WATCH the "lube techs"when they top off your fluids ,or demand that they use the right fluids !!!!
Old 09-23-2003, 05:16 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last photo:

this happened about 6months ago to the wife she was out of town started to heat up took it to Meineke shop told her what the problem was had it flushed there,I called the mechanic he assured me it would be ok,needs to have a good going over before winter anyhow am taking everyones advice and switch back to Dex Cool,just wanted to bring to others attention thanks to all
Old 09-23-2003, 05:52 AM
Kenneth Howard hates me...

Last journal entry: Engine mock up
Last photo:

Quote:
I hate to dissagree with you, but the Dexcool didn't kill your water pump, it was already on the way out. Dexcool is actually easier on the pump than the old style coolant.

Vince [/B]
I worded that wrong, the stuck thermostat killed the water pump, not the Dexcool. As i was filling the Radiator after i noticed that the color was orange and not pink.

C
Old 09-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by fat50
I worded that wrong, the stuck thermostat killed the water pump, not the Dexcool. As i was filling the Radiator after i noticed that the color was orange and not pink.

C
Understand, thanks
Vince
Old 09-23-2003, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

It's not just GM, Dexcool comes in just about everything, trucks,buses, freightliner, International,and is rated for 150,000 miles, but like everything else, there's no guarantee I drain it, flush it, and replace it!
Old 09-23-2003, 05:08 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

If you do a little internet surfing you'd be amazed at some of the info about all of the problems that people are having thanks to Dexcool. There have been multiple class action lawsuits and even some of the GM dealership techs I have talked to have stated that they have switched back to the green anti-freeze in some cases. Dexcool does not require incorrect anti-freeze to be mixed in with it to seriously sludge up. I have seen some so bad I have thrown out the radiator cap just cause they're so nasty with sludge. Here are just three links I found in a quick search.

class action lawsuit

consumer affairs complaints

Dexcool problems

Last edited by dmorris1200; 09-23-2003 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

What's the answer?

Do I flush and refill with the orange or the green?

The internet is replete with horror stories about this Dexcool. Has anyone changed to the green with good result?
Old 07-01-2004, 10:48 PM

go green

as a mechanic i have changed out my own cars and many customers as i seen once at the gm dealer that there was a bulletin that the dexcool was eating up heater cores and radiators and as i have seen always corroded the radiator caps so I have alsways suggested to flush it out with water then flush the green into the system. the green is tried and true! that and how many 3.1-3.4 have had coolant leaking at the intake seals?? a lot.
Jesse
Old 07-02-2004, 07:30 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

Re: What's the answer?

Quote:
Originally posted by MI2600
Has anyone changed to the green with good result?

the day we brought the wife 92 buick park ave home I changed it along w/at least 10 other cars & trucks for friends, that crap loves to eat stuff up & w/the change there has been NO problems what so ever & we have had the buick for 6yrs now....joe

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.