New Suspension Too Stiff - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 01:18 AM
*WARNING* Idiot in Training!

Last journal entry: Jag Front Clip
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New Suspension Too Stiff

Hey guys, thought I might bring a challenge your way..This is something that I have never had happen and it is puzzling me ...I just rebuilt my GM suspension(S-10), to include all new bushings, and ball joints..Now, after putting everything back together, the suspension seems WAY to stiff..I got up on the frame, with my wife and bounced up and down..It felt like my old lowrider mini truck that I had back in high school...(absolutely no suspension travel)..So, I thought, maybe the control arms were binding where they bolt to the frame..So I loosened the bolts and retried "bouncing on the frame...Still the same...

Am I missing something? Anyone had this happen to them? Any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 01:39 AM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

If you used polyurethane bushings with the stock semi-cone shaped washers then this could be the problem. (binding)

The new ball joints may need some break-in time.

You mentioned 'got on the frame'.. If the truck is not complete (minus engine or lots of parts) then the suspension will feel stiff.

Did you replace the coils? Are they the correct ones?
Old 08-10-2008, 11:03 AM

Last photo:

I did not change out the springs, they are originals, just cleaned up and painted...And I used OEM replacement parts, not poly..

I was thinking about the weight thing, or lack of...the engine is not in the frame yet, nor is the front end sheet metal..But I could've sworn that the frame would articulate( if that is the right word) up and down without all of that before I rebuilt the suspension..But you are right, that might be the culprit...

I will set the engine in, just to see....But if it still has no change, any other suggestions?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:57 PM

Last photo:

ok, so here is a little update to this problem...And I do apologize for beating the subject up, but I know that it would be easier to remedy the problem before the body and engine is in..If there even is a problem...

ok, on to the update..I had the entire body on the frame, and I bounced up and down on the frame...The suspension is still frozen stiff...the only give was from the tires mashing down from the weight...Now, I can continue on and put the engine in, but I am REALLY fearful that when I do, I will still have no suspension...

Any more suggestions?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

When you get the engine in loosen all the nuts on both the upper and lower control arms. The truck will settle to its ride ht. then retourque the nuts to spec. The bushings are actually part of the total spring rate of the truck and need to be set in this manner other wise they will twisted if that is the right word, to far and under to much tension at designed ride ht.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.