Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New toy for mikey
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 02:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by awert
And i heard the small mini lathe are not worth getting...

You heard right, I have a small Jet 9x20 lathe also that I traded for a couple of years ago. This thing is the one I mentioned earlier and is sold under several brand names for wildly differing prices. The Jet version goes for as much $1399 and the HF version which is a different color of the same machine goes for as little as $599 with more equipment than the Jet! This thing is sold by Enco, Jet, Cut Master, Birmingham and a bunch of other brands but none of them are worth squat and the more expensive versions are no better than the ones from HF. They are reasonably powerful enough for their size but are terribly inaccurate and just plain ill designed along with being almost comically crude in construction. The larger lathes are much better built and as long as someone does not expect the durability of a good American machine they are accurate enough and worth what they cost but just like the small machines there are many brands of the same machine for varying prices. If I don't find a good deal soon I most likely will buy that Grizzly G4016 13x40 but to anyone thinking of buying a Chinese lathe, BE CAUTIOUS! I am fully aware of what I am buying and it's limitations but to someone who may be accustomed to running a "real" machine and expecting that kind of performance they will most likely be disappointed.