New Toy - Powder Coater - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2006, 06:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I'm sure you will enjoy powder coating. Just don't get disouraged the first few times. It takes a bit of practice to get used to your equipment. One thing is for certain, make those parts clean, clean, clean before powder coating.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2006, 08:16 PM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMs
I bought the system from Harbor Freight about 2 years ago. I love it. I have a junk kitchen oven and it works fine. I get all my powder from Pendry. I have found that most parts need to be cleaned then baked at 550 for about 1 hour then sandblasted. Then a pre heat at 250. A sears temp gun works great for checking temps. I have done intakes, valve covers and lot of other small parts.

so you're happy with pendry's powder... that's all i needed to know... also would it make more sense to blast first then heat? or you like to cook out all the crap first then blast it clean? do you let it cool down before blasting?
Old 02-15-2006, 12:20 AM
OldSchool MotorHead

I did not contact them, as the truck needed to stay in service. If I wanted them to recoat the manifolds, then I would have to send them out, and that would be too much down time. I was really shocked to see the coating come off after reading their literature. This truck is well worked and cracks manifolds every 2 years, so we put the new, extra strong manifolds throught the Jet-Hot process and I was hoping it would help. I should have just painted them with BBQ Grill paint, and it would have lasted longer.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

in your case, wouldn't headers be better? with the jethot coating? reason being is the cast iron manifolds are probably heating up more... retaining the heat and baking off the coating. i thought there were special coatings for cast iron that bond once you fire up the engine?
Old 02-16-2006, 05:47 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Hey! I got an Eastwood power coater for Christmas. I haven't used it yet...but can't wait!
Old 02-19-2006, 09:51 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvsapp
so you're happy with pendry's powder... that's all i needed to know... also would it make more sense to blast first then heat? or you like to cook out all the crap first then blast it clean? do you let it cool down before blasting?
Yes I like Pendry stuff, but I have not tried anything else. Some friends of mine do powder coating and ceramic coating for a living. They recomended to burn all the crud off first so as not to contaminate the glass bead machine with oily stuff. Wash with a solvent or soap and water to get rid of most of the crud then bake. Blast then warm to 250 and coat.

Yes let it get cold to blast it. It will blast a lot easier after it has been cooked.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:27 AM

Last photo:

how do you like the glass beads? is it cool? i heard you gotta use a cabinet though... is it needed? can i use it outside a cabinet if i don't plan to recycle the glass? how is it compared to sand or other medias?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:19 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I got the glass beads specifically to experiment on cast aluminum parts (intake) to see if I could cut them down faster than all that hand work with sandpaper. While the experiment did not work (they don't level the surface so you still need to do all that sanding) I really like the way the beads act in the cabinet. Much cleaner that the silica sand and black sand I had been using. They both kick up a lot of dust in the cabinet and even with my big shop vac running all the time to vent the cabinet, it still got difficult to see what I was doing. Glass beads produce almost no dust at all. Also, they are not as aggressive as the sand and produce a nicer finish on the steel parts I have tested.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:01 AM

Last photo:

hmm... that might work... on a set of heads i got... will it take off the old paint off them? i heard of alot of people using glass beads on heads and stuff to clean them.... maybe i gotta give it a wack... i priced some acrylic type 5 friday when i bought my green diamond... at $3.25 a pound... that can get expensive...
Old 02-21-2006, 12:50 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
...will it take off the old paint off them?
I don't see why not. I used the glass to take old powdercoating off some parts, and I figure that has to be tougher than paint. The glass will be a little slower than silica, but will leave a smoother finish. Some folkshave suggested walnut shells for those heads...just to be on the safe side in terms of clean up and and potential grit residue in the engine.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:31 PM
you lift,you lose!

My brother has been using that JettHott for a while now...I personally think the colors are decent...he's done yellow & gloss black...be careful with the "almost Chrome"...especially when using on valve covers or oil pans,as solvents such as brake clean/carb cleaner does discolor the finish...I forgot myself & used some Brake clean as a "cleaner/degreaser on his engine...it dripped down onto his freshly coated oilpan & discolored it... ...Damn he wanted to kill me... ...also the "Almost Chrome" doesn't get that shiney... ...to me it looks more like a satin finish...Kimo...
Old 02-21-2006, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

brother... it's hot coat... not jetthott... you know from eastwood... and i'm gonna keep that water pump on the motor just to remind you about it... but i wanted to see the results of the single stage almost chrome, but forgot about it and overbaked it ... hence the satin coloring... but the old stuff needs the clear and that dulled the crap out of it... guess i can't win.. but then again i can't wait to try the pendry stuff...
Old 02-21-2006, 08:56 PM
you lift,you lose!

Quote:
brother... it's hot coat... not jetthott... you know from eastwood... and i'm gonna keep that water pump on the motor just to remind you about it... but i wanted to see the results of the single stage almost chrome, but forgot about it and overbaked it ... hence the satin coloring... but the old stuff needs the clear and that dulled the crap out of it... guess i can't win.. but then again i can't wait to try the pendry stuff...

Sorry Eh...couldn't remember when i was typing...i know about the water pump,i was there remember??? i know i p***ked up the oilpan though...
i thought the purple was nice...i was thinking it would look good coating some of my engine against the gold of the engine bay...i don't know...cross that bridge when i get there...
Old 10-08-2009, 09:10 AM

Last wiki edit: How to find an electrical drain Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Has anyone got a preference between the Eastwood and the Harbor Freight guns? I have an eastwood and have had it fall apart and repaired it with JB a couple of times, You don't want to drop it or have it fall on the floor, I was wondering if the HF gun is sturdier?
Also I use a large cardboard box for a spray booth and am thinking of making one out of plywood with a light system. Any suggestions?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

The guys I talked about in the post above had a Eastwood and it fell apart also. I gave them my HF and it is still going strong. I just send my powder coating to them now.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.