New Toy - Powder Coater - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2006, 12:35 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New Toy - Powder Coater

This winter my "rod budget" was set aside to gussy up the engine compartment of the '32 pickup - new after market chrome pieces etc. But as most BB Ford owners know, there aren't a whole lot of nice chrome parts available. So it's either have the stuff sent out to chrome of have it coated. My headers are currently at Jet Hot but that still leaves a ton of little brackets, parts, and odds and ends to be dealt with. After getting a price from my local powder coater to do the work, I decided I could just about break even by buying my own coating kit and oven. Better yet, any cars that I do in the future can then basically be done for the cost of the powder. So I ordered up the "beginners" kit from Eastwood and then went looking for an electric oven yesterday. After finding nothing in the classifieds, at my local junk yard, or at the town dump (yes, we still have dumps up here in northern WI), I went to a local appliance dealer. Sure enough he had a "trade in" sitting in the back room and he agreed to part with it for $50. Not free, but it's fairly new, everything works on it and it has a nice big viewing window in the front. Ain't she a beaut? (Note: I put a wood counter top over the burner area so I can use it as part of my work bench.) Can't wait for the gun and powder to arrive so I can start testing.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2006, 01:08 PM
OldSchool MotorHead

"Jet Hot" has a great sales pitch, but I've seen the coating flake off after a month of plowing snow on a 1997 F350. Good luck with the coating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2006, 04:24 PM

Last photo:

you will have fun.....i've been doing it for about 1 year myself. it won't take long and you will find it's as fast as priming and painting with rattle cans...but looks sooooooooo much better i purchased my equipment from www.caswellplating.com they have great powders and a forum almost as good as this one. good luck and have fun.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnTool
"Jet Hot" has a great sales pitch, but I've seen the coating flake off after a month of plowing snow on a 1997 F350.
TechnTool, I saw your post about the ceramic coating flaking off in another thread. Did you ever try to contact Jet Hot about the problem. As I understand the warranty, they'll re-coat the headers once during the first three years of service if you are not satisfied in any way. Also lifetime warranty for rust - but that wasn't the problem you encountered. I'm just wondering if you had a problem with them standing behind their warranty.

Dewey
Old 02-10-2006, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 chevy
you will have fun.....
I haven't even received the coating gun yet but I'm already getting the impression it is one of those shop tools you'll use a ton more than you expected when you bought it.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:54 PM

Last journal entry: 1930 chevy ratrod pick-up
Last photo:

nissan

I am a production manager at a powder coating co. you bought a good cheap system that will do what you want,but you want to have a good earth ground,sand blast or clean metal good,then wipe down with alchol and dry good so you don't leave trails on the parts. we use phosporic acid an rinse with water, then run through a dry off oven. you can use a blow dryer. warm items coat better. you can get 2 lb. samples free from most powder supliers,such as sherwin-williams,dupont,cardinal,tiger drylac.stay away from china made powders,to many problems.research the internet on what you are doing and you will love it.I get all my work done for free or I would have my own system. hope I helped.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:14 PM

Last photo:

cboy
I'm really interested in how this turns out for you I have thought about doing it myself I have looked at the Eastwood gun a couple of times $95 I believe. Every spring and fall they have garbage days around here where people can put out anything at the side of the road for garbage pickup and many times I have almost picked up a stove for the oven, post us some good pics when you get this going and let us know how well it's working for you .
Old 02-10-2006, 06:40 PM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:

speaking of powder guns anyone try the crasftsman one? self contained air supply and at $150 on sale, i'd like to get one, but i already have the eastwood one. it's good, but i am tied to the compressor and electrical cord. kind of cummbersone, but the craftsman looks really good.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
I haven't even received the coating gun yet but I'm already getting the impression it is one of those shop tools you'll use a ton more than you expected when you bought it.

I'll have to bring some small parts up for you to "practice on" when (or maybe if) we make it up in March. LOL! Really, though, I agree 100% that it'll be a shop addition that'll leave you wondring why you didn't buy it earlier.

In a while, Chet.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

My next door neighbor bought the eastwood setup and found an oven at the metal recycle yard for free about 3 years ago. He uses his alot and has had no problem. He learned the hard way that he has to pre-bake used cast aluminum and cast iron items to get the oil to gas out of the pores. An hour or so at 550 F usually does it. He goes to the local powder coat guy and gets his powder for cheaper than buying it from eastwood. buh bye, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 02-10-2006, 10:34 PM

Last photo:

Safety

cboy just looking at your set up looks good, but one thing I see that could cause a problem is the burners under that piece of wood. If that was me I would pull the knobs off for the top burners just so you don't hit them and turn on the burners and land up burning down your shop . Don't throw them away, but hang them up just in case you ever need to use the burners later. Cause I know if it was me it I'd watch my shop go up in flames.

Good luck with the power coating

John
Old 02-10-2006, 11:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectjohn
cboy just looking at your set up looks good, but one thing I see that could cause a problem is the burners under that piece of wood. If that was me I would pull the knobs off for the top burners just so you don't hit them and turn on the burners and land up burning down your shop . Don't throw them away, but hang them up just in case you ever need to use the burners later. Cause I know if it was me it I'd watch my shop go up in flames.
John
i forgot to add my $.02 on this. the right back burner on the oven normally has a vent, well at least mine does... if you are baking at 500 degrees, this vent will be rather hot. might start a hotspot on that wood. with my oven i wanted to keep the burners on them just incase i had to boil some parts or something. but they got robbed when my uncle needed some burners for his stove. i wanted to put a piece of wood over them, but instead used a large metal grill on them instead(looks like a large piece of expanded metal). that way i can still let the parts cool down on the top of the oven and still use the top. just remember to keep the vent open, and the burners off, and you should be ok.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:18 PM

Last photo:

dammit.. my brain is soo scattered again.... i wanted to also ask if anyone has tried pendry powdercoating powder yet? wanted to order some from them and they have good prices and colors.... i love their granny smith green....
Old 02-11-2006, 06:36 AM
Almost an old guy...

Last photo:

I bought the HF gun about a year ago and have done a lot of small parts for my car. It works well and I've been real happy with the results. All I have used so far are Eastwood powders. I really like the black wrinkle powder, sort of an old scholl finish, nice for parts too that will be hard to clean after install, figure the wrinkle finish won't show fingerprints as bad as a smooth shiny surface.

Lance
Old 02-11-2006, 09:57 AM
T buckets rule

I bought the system from Harbor Freight about 2 years ago. I love it. I have a junk kitchen oven and it works fine. I get all my powder from Pendry. I have found that most parts need to be cleaned then baked at 550 for about 1 hour then sandblasted. Then a pre heat at 250. A sears temp gun works great for checking temps. I have done intakes, valve covers and lot of other small parts.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.