Hot Rod Forum banner

New Transmission???

849 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ghetto Jet 
#1 ·
I have bought a th350 w/ a stage 2 hurst shift kit.. I am going to put a new 350cu in my car and was wondering if there is a better transmission i could put in. This one is in pretty good condition but i will be using it for racing.. Also, is there a rebuild kit that i can buy for it??? Thanks..

#4 · (Edited)
It's an '80 Chevy Impala.. I have 3.42's in the rear right now... I am not sure about hp yet but around 400 or more.. I am going to be using it for racing mostly... thanks

It's a 10bolt... I am going to get a 12bolt but not sure yet... What would be a good choice of a rear end???? I have coil over suspension, it might be called trailering suspension... springs in the back... Thanks

It's a 10bolt... I am going to get a 12bolt but not sure yet... What would be a good choice of a rear end???? I have coil over suspension, it might be called trailering suspension... springs in the back... Thanks

#5 · (Edited)
Well I'm guessing you have a 7.5" 10 bolt in that Impala. There is no car you can take a 12bolt from and just bolt it in there. You can get an 8.5" 10 bolt out any Caprice with a taxi or police package that is the same body style as your Impala. A hint, the 8.5" wagon rears are two wide for the passenger car. The 8.5" ten bolt is fairly strong. It will take 400 horsepower with no worries. Just get the rear rebuilt before you throw it behind that engine.

The 8.5" aren't hard to find, I've acquired two from a near by junkyard, I only paid $75 a piece for them.

As for the transmission, you should get it rebuilt. Try to find a transmission re builder that has a good reputation with other racers and tell the guy what kind of power you need it to handle. Some of the guys on here should be able to tell you what you should expect to pay for a rebuild.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.