Hot Rod Forum banner

new type of engine design: two crankshafts

4K views 44 replies 14 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
I haven't yet investigated this very much, I thought I would post it here to see what others think.

An inventor recently posted his new engine design on the Crankshaft Coalition forums.

I'm sure we have other guys who will know more about this type of design. Essentially, the camshaft and valves have been replaced with a second crankshaft and set of pistons.

There are plenty of diagrams on the site, plus information/history, etc. Here's the link: New4Stroke.com.

I'm not sure about the performance/efficiency/feasibility, or the extent to which this has been designed in the past, but at very least, it's thought-provoking.

#3 ·
New Engine

I am a Mechanical Engineer (retired).
In one part of my life I was a Marine Engineer Officer. The ships I sailed had Burmeister & Wayne 2 stroke Diesels with three pistons per cylnder, one main piston in the centre and two "Valve" pistons above and below.

The new engine this man is describing is a variation on this design, he has moved both the valve pistons to the top of the engine. He himself says this new engine can't be patented, the reason why is because this is not a new concept.

JK.

#5 ·
That's another cool valvetrain change I've seen since that Coate's head concept. One question though, wouldn't that just liimit the number of revolutions on the motor? Seems like that'd be a heck of a lot more vibrations the block would have to deal with produced by adding two more pistons limiting the top end on it. Could just be me though :D

#7 ·
A long time ago I heard about an engine that was a H8 basicly becuase it was basicly 2 4cyl's ( but squished into 1 block ) with 2 crankshafts connected by a gear set, and had 2 distributors, and 2 carbs but I never found any refrence to it, my shop teacher told me about it becuase it was in a tech article he read as a kid.

#9 ·
67 Deuce 4 Me
This design are needed honest people.Slowly rebuild You mind,and You made a new innovation in this design.Big 3 are not quickly made because are BIG,and very hard change fundamental change.I think ,so flying people be first.Go You to love voice!!
:welcome: :)

#13 ·
Almost every one of the submarines in the US Navy uses a Fairbanks Morse vertically opposed piston engine. They're two stroke engines but they run two crankshafts and do not utilize any valves. They operate in a similar manner to that twin crank four stroke. The cranks are connected by a large shaft and the gears at each end of the shaft are a giant ring and pinion that look almost identical to the ones found in automotive axles. They are loud as hell too.

#16 ·
New Engine

This thread has stirred up quite a lot of interest and amazement from the younger members. There is an old saying (nothing new under the sun) and that applies here too.

Go here to see the Ariel Square Four engine from 1951 which was effectively two twin cyl engines geared together.
http://www.arielmotorcycles.com/engines.htm

And for the member who asks "why don't the big 3/4 take up these ideas.
I can assure you the big 3 do look at these designs and many more as part of their developement program. On paper they look great, but present huge problems at the casting and machining stage, there are also excessive heat and distortion problems at the centre of these engines.

The only non-standard engine I can think of in recent times, which has made it from the drawing board into a car, is the Rotary Wankel Engine which, to their credit the Mazda company have continued to develop. Even here with a relatively simple design there were huge problems to overcome such as early failure of the Rotor Tip Seals and they had to resort to exotic Ceramic materials and equally exotic tooling to machine them.

I congratulate the inventor from Poland for the work he has done and I hope you all keep thinking, just remember though, if the thing you come up with costs 50c more than the sludge pump they have been turning out since the Model T, it won't get past the first bean counter.

#17 ·
inventor,

I apologize for my remark, it was only meant as a joke. I applaude your honesty by admitting your prototype made less power than the original motor.

As others have posted, on old and new existing motors, 2 stroke and 4 stroke, the design is being used.

Research those motors and improve them.

Again, I apologize and wish the best to you

#18 ·
Inventor

:welcome: :welcome: WELCOME TO HR.COM :welcome: :welcome:

I have a question this type is a diesel correct?

has it any application to gas with a spark plug?
(if I missed this in reading ..sorry)

SR66 :thumbup:

red 65 I got it as only being a joke but I dident take it like

"blatantly prejudiced and narrow-minded comment "

like the Polish NASCAR racer (that passed away ) that won the race then lapped the track in reverse!! that to me was cool and funny . Driving a car in reverse is a skill that most drivers do not possess

But sometimes we all make comments that might seem off base I don't think that was your intention(I hope I'm correct in my assumption)

SR66 :thumbup: :confused:

#19 ·
red65mustang

red65mustang
OK,thanks best wishes- same to You.this first engine no,t have good power ,but start it in first 10 seconds!!! as new. Second engine I am started 3 weeks, and no have any little smoke in exhaust!!!Why?-I was made too big turbulence in i ignition chamfer(mechanically), and impossible start spark!
Oh ,if put a diesel system- may be hight RPM diesel.?!? :mwink:

#20 ·
Rob,
Jon was right, my mother taught me "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" (or I'll wack you beside your head!)

It's been my good fortune to have traveled and lived in many parts of the world, very often American humor doesn't translate as funny

And very often, "serious" is very funny when translated

#21 ·
I'll take you're experience on this on the translation thing I'm sure you correct

language and opposing thumbs is what separates humans from the rest of the animals on this planet humor is a good part of being human I find humor in weird places anyway back to the topic!!

SR66 :thumbup:

#22 ·
mosstrooper said:
I am a Mechanical Engineer (retired).
In one part of my life I was a Marine Engineer Officer. The ships I sailed had Burmeister & Wayne 2 stroke Diesels with three pistons per cylnder, one main piston in the centre and two "Valve" pistons above and below.

The new engine this man is describing is a variation on this design, he has moved both the valve pistons to the top of the engine. He himself says this new engine can't be patented, the reason why is because this is not a new concept.

JK.
I work in a steel mill and several times one of the ships in our port had electrical problems. If their people could not fix it we would be called to go look at it. I remember being down in the bottom of some ships and its like being inside a motor. You can see the crank and rods out in the open with the pistons in the cylinders on top. Very different form my perspective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.