Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   new type of engine design: two crankshafts (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/new-type-engine-design-two-crankshafts-75673.html)

Jon 12-08-2005 12:46 PM

new type of engine design: two crankshafts

I haven't yet investigated this very much, I thought I would post it here to see what others think.

An inventor recently posted his new engine design on the Crankshaft Coalition forums.

I'm sure we have other guys who will know more about this type of design. Essentially, the camshaft and valves have been replaced with a second crankshaft and set of pistons.

There are plenty of diagrams on the site, plus information/history, etc. Here's the link: New4Stroke.com.

I'm not sure about the performance/efficiency/feasibility, or the extent to which this has been designed in the past, but at very least, it's thought-provoking.

red65mustang 12-08-2005 01:47 PM

from his site: his prototype produced 3.5HP, the original motor produced 5HP before he made it into the prototype.......? huh?

mosstrooper 12-08-2005 02:01 PM

New Engine

I am a Mechanical Engineer (retired).
In one part of my life I was a Marine Engineer Officer. The ships I sailed had Burmeister & Wayne 2 stroke Diesels with three pistons per cylnder, one main piston in the centre and two "Valve" pistons above and below.

The new engine this man is describing is a variation on this design, he has moved both the valve pistons to the top of the engine. He himself says this new engine can't be patented, the reason why is because this is not a new concept.

JK.

Jon 12-08-2005 03:34 PM

mosstrooper -- thanks for the info, I know his site had referenced a similar previous design, but I wasn't familiar with the specifics.

red65mustang -- please edit your post. I'm surprised to see such a blatantly prejudiced and narrow-minded comment from a member with so many posts on this board.

Classix_Lover 12-08-2005 04:56 PM

That's another cool valvetrain change I've seen since that Coate's head concept. One question though, wouldn't that just liimit the number of revolutions on the motor? Seems like that'd be a heck of a lot more vibrations the block would have to deal with produced by adding two more pistons limiting the top end on it. Could just be me though :D

inventor 12-08-2005 05:06 PM

Where is twice coalition?

1 Attachment(s)
www.new4stroke.com/warstwilia.gif
another engineer says same. :)
This pistons are CAMSHAFT drive
:D :D

matt167 12-08-2005 05:07 PM

A long time ago I heard about an engine that was a H8 basicly becuase it was basicly 2 4cyl's ( but squished into 1 block ) with 2 crankshafts connected by a gear set, and had 2 distributors, and 2 carbs but I never found any refrence to it, my shop teacher told me about it becuase it was in a tech article he read as a kid.

67 Deuce 4 Me 12-08-2005 05:37 PM

Ive never saw or heard of that design. To be honest it blew my mind! I wonder why on of the big 3 hasn't developed that technology. Simple, efficient, I would love to have the opportunity to help build it.

inventor 12-08-2005 06:02 PM

67 Deuce 4 Me
This design are needed honest people.Slowly rebuild You mind,and You made a new innovation in this design.Big 3 are not quickly made because are BIG,and very hard change fundamental change.I think ,so flying people be first.Go You to love voice!!
:welcome: :)

Jon 12-08-2005 06:27 PM

Welcome to the Hotrodders Bulletin Board, inventor :welcome:

Nice engine design :). We're always interested in new ideas here.

Classix_Lover 12-08-2005 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inventor
www.new4stroke.com/warstwilia.gif
another engineer says same. :)
This pistons are CAMSHAFT drive
:D :D

Ah I see now, didn't seem practical at first but mentioning that pistons were camshaft driven clears things up :thumbup: . Very exceptional design! That'd have to be one hefty camshaft to deal with those wouldn't it or not necessarily?

67 Deuce 4 Me 12-08-2005 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon
Welcome to the Hotrodders Bulletin Board, inventor :welcome:

Nice engine design :). We're always interested in new ideas here.

Is he the inventor of that design???

Blazin72 12-08-2005 07:19 PM

Almost every one of the submarines in the US Navy uses a Fairbanks Morse vertically opposed piston engine. They're two stroke engines but they run two crankshafts and do not utilize any valves. They operate in a similar manner to that twin crank four stroke. The cranks are connected by a large shaft and the gears at each end of the shaft are a giant ring and pinion that look almost identical to the ones found in automotive axles. They are loud as hell too.

inventor 12-08-2005 11:36 PM

Need verification?

Need verification? Do it.Not only the atomics bomb isn't in Patent Office. :welcome: ;)

inventor 12-08-2005 11:39 PM

Need verification?

Quote:

Is he the inventor of that design???
67 Deuce 4 Me
Need verification? Do it.Not only the atomics bomb isn't in Patent Office. :welcome: ;)