New to uphostery and need help. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New to uphostery and need help.

I want to learn how to upholster (trim) and recently started a evening class at the local high school to learn some of the basics, unfortunaley, it's a class mostly designed for women who want to make their own clothes... but I am learning. Now to the help I'm looking for: I was given a Singer 111W155 machine that I was told works well but it needs a new cog wheel (?) belt put on. I have the belt but can't figure out how much of the machine needs to come apart to be able to put the belt on. It appears to me that the main shaft needs to come out and I don't have a clue as to how to do that. Any guideance would be appreciated. I have searched online, I've looked at the Army and Air Force manuals and still can't seem to find any directions to help me.
Thanks in advance, Fast Jimmy.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 PM

I learned alot from watching the How To DVD's from Sid Chavers. Best $$ I spent and very informative.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I suggest this to everyone who gets a used industrial sewing machine. Don't try to do this yourself, changing that belt is not easy. Take it to a professional sewing machine mechanic, have him set the timing, set the tensions, and check the machine out for worn or broken parts. Have him put the belt on at the same time. It will be the best money you ever spent. That way you start out with the machine sewing like it should right from the git-go. Also, if you got any thread with it use that thread for practice only. Why ruin a project by using bad thread?

If you really want to ignore this advice and try to do it yourself, check out page 12 of this service manual: http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/211W155.pdf This is a 211W and not a 111W, but you'll get the idea. If you don't do this correctly, the machine will be out of time and then you have a whole new problem.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 02-14-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 AM
adjusted nuts

1-11 w

I second that, total agreement with Dan. Been there and done that
Old 02-14-2013, 08:11 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Read Dan's info

I don't know if you have been to the interior section here on hotrodders, DanTwoLakes is a professional upholsterer and has posted lots and lots of info here on hotrodders. It would be really nice if the new owners would do an eBook like cBoy's scratch built hotrod. Thanks for all your contributions Dan
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Dan's response with the 211 info was very helpful. I'v actually looked for a service person by talking with a local trim shop and a shoe repair store. The trim shop guy says he does his own repair work but won't work on anybody else's and the shoe repair guy says his guy won't work on machines that old. I'd rather have an experienced person do it but I may be forced to take it upon myself.
Fast Jimmy
Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
I don't know if you have been to the interior section here on hotrodders, DanTwoLakes is a professional upholsterer and has posted lots and lots of info here on hotrodders. It would be really nice if the new owners would do an eBook like cBoy's scratch built hotrod. Thanks for all your contributions Dan
Thank you Tim. My opinion is that you can't learn upholstery work with books or pictures, so if I ever do anything like that it will be DVDs. I would also like to do a DVD on the care and feeding of the industrial sewing machine. That one would be first.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:46 AM

Last photo:

You can find repair men going into craigslist " industrial sewing" and see if someone has more than one machine in seperate ads. Alot of repair men fix old or broken machines and sell them for decent profit.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 AM

Thanks to Dan for all the time he puts into helping others. I am just starting to tackle this sewing thing. My brothers hot rod shop gave me an old Consew and I am having it gone through so I don't start with something that has a problem. He says he will "port and polish" parts of the machine. Is he taking advantage of a total beginner? Seems like a stand-up guy. Steve
Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I think he was just referring to checking and cleaning the machine. There's no "port and polish" that needs to be done to any sewing machine parts.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:32 PM
adjusted nuts

I have never heard of port and polish in a sewing machine, but some times they will polish the Hook so there is no burrs and sharp places on the Hook and thread guides.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:53 AM

repairman

Well, I've found a repairman that makes service calls and he'll be in town next week and will look my 111W155 over and put the timing belt on for me. He says he's worked on this model before and sounded knowledgeable.
Thanks for the advice. Fast Jimmy
Old 02-24-2013, 03:56 PM

I'll let you know how it turns out. The guy does good work,( from references), so I hope everything works out. We will see how the "port and polish" works out. Ha Ha. Steve
Old 02-27-2013, 03:17 PM

repairman

So I had timing belt installed and my machine looked over and adjusted by a repairman who's main job is maintaining machines for an industrial sewing manufacturer. He was kind enough to walk me through the whole process and described everything he was doing and why it needed to be that way. Then he ran some test samples and showed me what adjustments affected the stitches and how it affected them. It was well worth the effort to find this guy and well worth the cost. Now I can try to sew. Fast Jimmy
Old 02-27-2013, 07:39 PM
adjusted nuts

I knew thats what you needed. I used to have a repairman stop by about every 6 months for about 10 years, thats how I learned to repair and set the timing on any machine , so always ask him questions. Glad Dan and I could help

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.