new video on fixing big dents - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 01:32 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

new video on fixing big dents

lots of metal working tips here. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Limytv2CdTQ

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

workint the ridge.

I usually try to use a spoon, heavy putty knife, carpenters wonder bar on top of the ridge and pound on it so I dont put more dents on the finish side.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:01 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

that's a thought but it turned out great, and even better than what was on the back half of the door. Completely undetectable.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 PM

Last photo:

you made that skim coating look way too easy. I would have liked to see how big of a batch of filler you had on your pallette. Was that all a single batch or did you have to remix?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:05 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer
you made that skim coating look way too easy. I would have liked to see how big of a batch of filler you had on your pallette. Was that all a single batch or did you have to remix?
2 spot coats and 2 skim coats. It doesn't take much when you skim as long as you at least spot coat all the dents and dings first. At that point the skim is just bridging it together but that door dent was kind of big so it called for more than one skim, but I probably could have gotten it all in one skim if I sat all day and metal worked on it. For that door it took 4 hours just to get it ready for filler. Anymore time and the boss is looking at me funny.

Today I did the other side of the door and it was just stripping the door, welding old repair holes, and pushing out the middle about an inch but since it was 95 degrees the mudding process was a nightmare. In the video I skimmed the bottom of the door in one shot, today that section took me two to three applications just to get it close, and today was only 5-10 degrees hotter.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:35 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I usually dont watch body work vidios and actually this is the first one I watched of yours. Its pretty good,I could use a few pointers (on the vidio) .Was that a regular camera or one made just for vidios?(I really liked the fast foward) .
That dosen't seem like too bad of a shop to work in ,plenty of nice, older cars (like the 56 chebbie),One question though,how did you know if the contour of the door matched the contour of the fender? I usually trial fit the fender about 50 times to be sure ,did you just omit that part ,concentrating on the door? its an important step that should be shown so the less experianced can know how you got the right shape.....
That said you got that done pretty quick how would you like to make the whole skin yourself and not use any bondo???? Me too, if only I had that kind of talent...I'm trying though, maybe in 20 more years.
BTW,theres always a place for you to work in Augusta,Ga. if you ever find yourself around here..and maybe teach an old fart how to shoot a good vidio....
I liked it....
Old 06-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer
Also, do you go light on the hardener? It seems like you have a lot more "working time" than I'm accustomed to. If that is the fact, does it affect the cured strength?

Russ
Old 06-02-2012, 09:37 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I usually dont watch body work vidios and actually this is the first one I watched of yours. Its pretty good,I could use a few pointers (on the vidio) .Was that a regular camera or one made just for vidios?(I really liked the fast foward) .
That dosen't seem like too bad of a shop to work in ,plenty of nice, older cars (like the 56 chebbie),One question though,how did you know if the contour of the door matched the contour of the fender? I usually trial fit the fender about 50 times to be sure ,did you just omit that part ,concentrating on the door? its an important step that should be shown so the less experianced can know how you got the right shape.....
That said you got that done pretty quick how would you like to make the whole skin yourself and not use any bondo???? Me too, if only I had that kind of talent...I'm trying though, maybe in 20 more years.
BTW,theres always a place for you to work in Augusta,Ga. if you ever find yourself around here..and maybe teach an old fart how to shoot a good vidio....
I liked it....
Thanks. Yeah, we checked it but it was cumbersome cause there's no rad support on it so someone held it up while I checked it. Didn't want to annoy the guy holding the fender so I could set up my camera. The fender was actually more out of shape. Had to put 2x4's under it and stand on it to get the right shape before finally being confident that everything was flush. I actually did mention fitting it up but it was on a clip where I start metal working the fender and I didn't want to make the video too long so it kind of made the clip irrelevent cause I wasn't showing the fender work.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:40 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN
Also, do you go light on the hardener? It seems like you have a lot more "working time" than I'm accustomed to. If that is the fact, does it affect the cured strength?

Russ
On that day it was 80 degrees. When it hits 90+ I try to not fill big panels. I'll usually do the spot filling and find something else to do then the next morning do my final skim coats. There's enough hardener always.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69
Thanks. Yeah, we checked it but it was cumbersome cause there's no rad support on it so someone held it up while I checked it. Didn't want to annoy the guy holding the fender so I could set up my camera. The fender was actually more out of shape. Had to put 2x4's under it and stand on it to get the right shape before finally being confident that everything was flush. I actually did mention fitting it up but it was on a clip where I start metal working the fender and I didn't want to make the video too long so it kind of made the clip irrelevent cause I wasn't showing the fender work.
You mean that cheap SOB wouldnt buy another fender???? I can see why you get frustrated with him...
When you figure out your hours and materials fixing that door and fender wouldn't it be cheaper to get replacements.how many hours do you have into them? I would think at least 15 hrs
Old 06-03-2012, 01:45 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
You mean that cheap SOB wouldnt buy another fender???? I can see why you get frustrated with him...
When you figure out your hours and materials fixing that door and fender wouldn't it be cheaper to get replacements.how many hours do you have into them? I would think at least 15 hrs
the old man is on one fender and it took him the amount of time it took me to fix the fender and driver's door. About a day on each. Welding on each too. The other door was pushed in as well and had to repair kind of the same way as other door.

Boss doesn't know crap about the trade but his pride gets into the way of ever learning about it. Just an idiot. I rather not even talk procedures with him anymore. Just too stupid.

Last edited by tech69; 06-03-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:27 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

so to follow up on the Gran sport I was shocked to learn that the painter decided to only prime the parts once! I guess the boss didn't like the time he takes to mask so he gave him less hours and inturn he decides to only prime it once, without us knowing about it beforehand, of course. I feel we need to have a heads up on that sort of stuff but we came out ok on this one.

Here's the door from the video and I'm happy it's show straight with only 3 coats of primer.

This door was like the one in the video. Had to fix it with a spreader and it was in about and inch in the middle like the other door.

This fender is adjacent to the messed up door I fixed in the video. It was taco'd in two directions. I fixed it with two 2x4's and stomping on it. Apparently, I see a imperfection around the wheel crown, which is secondary damage from the taco'ing. Other than that it turned out great but just wish I knew the aim was to only prime it once. It looks great though...I'm just beating myself up over this.

the hood came out pretty good and was messed up bad but I'd never just prime an old school hood just once, but that's just my opinion.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

66 GS? Thanks for the pics. Looks like the same color as my 66 Special convertible.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
64 Skylark with a 65 Gran Sport glove box door. It is a damn good video. The only thing I do differently would be the spreading of the filler, I go with the body lines. Of course on the top you need to go down but on the bottom it would be door long passes with the bodyline for me. But damn very nice stuff Henry.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 07-25-2012 at 11:23 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
cyclopsblown34 (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 01:23 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
64 Skylark with a 65 Gran Sport glove box door. It is a damn good video. The only thing I do differently would be the spreading of the filler, I go with the body lines. Of course on the top you need to go down but on the bottom it would be door long passes with the bodyline for me. But damn very nice stuff Henry.

Brian
I'll get the final word on the year, bud!
I'll check on that today. I think you have one perhaps?
Is there a dead giveaway as to why it's a 64?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.