The New Virtual Kustomz Thread! - Page 24 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2005, 11:18 AM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think your definition of billet is correct and unfinished peice of metal. I think you see alot of people refer to after market stuff as "billet" such things like Foose wheels, boyd wheels Jesse James wheels etc.. You see lots of "billet" steering wheels now too. It shouldnt be news to you that the "traditonal" rodders dont like billet things, and I think they are the ones who have made the term "generic" and more as a reference to "new after market" stuff...

why did I think you took offense? not sure I have had to warn 4 people and cease and desist one guy for using my images on the web without permission. Maybe I was just in a bad mood.

The guy I C&D'ed was the guy from kvadd strange cars site.. you remember the guy with the nazi flag? him!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2005, 01:20 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygutgut
I think your definition of billet is correct and unfinished peice of metal. I think you see alot of people refer to after market stuff as "billet" such things like Foose wheels, boyd wheels Jesse James wheels etc.. You see lots of "billet" steering wheels now too. It shouldnt be news to you that the "traditonal" rodders dont like billet things, and I think they are the ones who have made the term "generic" and more as a reference to "new after market" stuff...
That's what was causing my confusion when running into billet this and billet that. Some were referring to just shiny market parts regardless of whether they were actually machined from a billet. I noticed some of those "grille" sellers that turned up in the google search actually cut them from billets. I'm not really interested in buying one of those things but might try to make some kind of grill like I drew, just to simplify and cheer up that Olds front end.

Quote:
why did I think you took offense? not sure I have had to warn 4 people and cease and desist one guy for using my images on the web without permission. Maybe I was just in a bad mood.

The guy I C&D'ed was the guy from kvadd strange cars site.. you remember the guy with the nazi flag? him!
I remember that whiny biotch. If figures that someone who captions every photo on his website with that whine about hot linkers would be snagging other people's work without even the consideration of asking. So he's a hypocritical little whiner. Since his website has tons of advertisements and click-throughs, his use of your images is a commercial one and therefore not presumed to be fair use. Were they images from here, on hotrodders.com?

Last edited by grouch; 09-11-2005 at 01:21 PM. Reason: messed up quote tags
Old 09-11-2005, 01:51 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch
This from the guy with the '85 Land Yacht.

BTW, did you do any more to the Caprice since your last journal entry? I ask because my son has managed to bust that front air dam thing, crinkle a fender and run a crack the full width of the windshield on his. Not exactly the best kind of customizing to do.

Oh I've done alot since that last journal entry. Infact all the work that I've shown in my journal entries are things that I did prior to joining this website in November of 2003. I should work on my journal, the green caprice is the grey caprice in journal. Check out my photo gallery. I've got a second Caprice that I put a new engine and trans in, alot of time and $$ in that.

I've gotten good strait fenders at junk yards for $15-20. A new windshield cost $140 installed. and he should be able to get that air damn for $10-15. Did he do all that damage at the same time?
Old 09-11-2005, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
That's what was causing my confusion when running into billet this and billet that. Some were referring to just shiny market parts regardless of whether they were actually machined from a billet. I noticed some of those "grille" sellers that turned up in the google search actually cut them from billets. I'm not really interested in buying one of those things but might try to make some kind of grill like I drew, just to simplify and cheer up that Olds front end.
well I like the idea you posted but instead of a flat peice you can use angled peices that fade back into the car, giving the grill alot more depth.

Quote:
I remember that whiny biotch. If figures that someone who captions every photo on his website with that whine about hot linkers would be snagging other people's work without even the consideration of asking. So he's a hypocritical little whiner. Since his website has tons of advertisements and click-throughs, his use of your images is a commercial one and therefore not presumed to be fair use. Were they images from here, on hotrodders.com?
He's taking the images from my jesus the monster truck site. He was a punk to deal with. I sent him a warning and he felt that I couldnt own my images because they were "all photoshopped" which is incorrect because I have obtained permissions on all my photos. Also I offered him a photo to use with my URL on it, and he felt I was trying to take advantage of his hits. I pointed out to him, that I have WAY more hits than he does, and I was more irritated that he was taking profits off the images by way of web banners. I sent his URL to a bunch of other big "photo collection" sites, so im sure Im not the only one he steals from, and not the first to complain. Anyways he didnt agree with my warning, so I had to Cease and desist him. I also c&d his web hosts, that got his attention and he has since removed the image, and emailed me to say what an A-hole I was.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Jet
Oh I've done alot since that last journal entry. Infact all the work that I've shown in my journal entries are things that I did prior to joining this website in November of 2003. I should work on my journal, the green caprice is the grey caprice in journal. Check out my photo gallery. I've got a second Caprice that I put a new engine and trans in, alot of time and $$ in that.
Yeah, you should work on your journal. You have 2 entries and the last one was last year! It will take me a couple of days to go through your gallery with my crappy connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Jet
I've gotten good strait fenders at junk yards for $15-20. A new windshield cost $140 installed. and he should be able to get that air damn for $10-15. Did he do all that damage at the same time?
The windshield crack started well over a year ago and has crawled straight across from one side to the other. He checked one place and they told him $300, installed. He crimped the fender by running the left front wheel off. I posted a thread about "check those lugnuts" about that one. He was busy telling football tales while using the lug wrench. I don't know when the air dam was busted; probably some speed bump somewhere.

The junk yard fenders sound like a good option. That would give better results than my sheet metal welding skills.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
well I like the idea you posted but instead of a flat peice you can use angled peices that fade back into the car, giving the grill alot more depth.
I think I know what you mean but I can't draw it. The original 2 curved bars of the grill are angled back at the top. They're just heavy and have that sad-sack droop at each end. I thought about doing vertical bars, too, something like an old Buick. See attachment.

Quote:
He's taking the images from my jesus the monster truck site. He was a punk to deal with. I sent him a warning and he felt that I couldnt own my images because they were "all photoshopped" which is incorrect because I have obtained permissions on all my photos.
[. . . snipped . . .]
Just what in the world does he think copyright covers, if not your new, unique creations? Whether you used photoshop, oil paints or crayons makes no difference whatsoever. As soon as you commit the work to semi-permanent media, it's copyright protected. His publication of your images is exactly what copyright law in the U.S. was designed to stop: exploitation of artists by unauthorized commercial publishers.

BTW, I like that "The Hell Express". A friend of mine showed up at my door many years ago driving a 1950 (I think) Cadillac hearse on his way to live in South Carolina. Creepy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Olds49-vgrill.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	6814  
Old 09-11-2005, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

Im not sure but I think he was under the impression that he cant be sued because Im in america and he's in sweden. I told him, if he thinks that true then he should post a picture of Mickey Mouse on his site and see how long it takes Disney to C&D him.

I took a stab at adding depth to your "billet" grille...I added a side view too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	6818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Olds49-hgrill.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	6819  
Old 09-11-2005, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

That's a subtle change that makes it come to life. Thanks!

Maybe I could roll or fold sheet metal to make a grill like that and paint it the same as the body. The good thing is that I will be able to experiment without damaging the car.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:47 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Quote:
The windshield crack started well over a year ago and has crawled straight across from one side to the other. He checked one place and they told him $300, installed. He crimped the fender by running the left front wheel off. I posted a thread about "check those lugnuts" about that one. He was busy telling football tales while using the lug wrench. I don't know when the air dam was busted; probably some speed bump somewhere.

The junk yard fenders sound like a good option. That would give better results than my sheet metal welding skills.

Ah, I remember that thread...tell him to keep looking around for prices on a windshield, I had mine replaced in the winter. My Caprice had that same kind of crack in the windshield, it started in the lower passenger side corner.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:54 AM

Last photo:

I'm going to drive people nuts with this grill and bumper business. Got a reply from desertdogautoparts.com about rechroming the bumpers -- $250 per bumper, $85 per bumper guard, can't rechrome those grill bars. So, that's probably about $1000 to get both bumpers and all 4 guards, counting shipping each way. OW!

On the chance that somebody donates a winning lottery ticket, I fiddled with the front end again in Gimp. Any comments about painting the grill, rechroming the bumpers like 1Fast65Elky showed earlier in the thread, and filling in those teardrop vent openings under the headlights?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Olds49-pgrill.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	6829  
Old 09-13-2005, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

I think axing the tear drops smooths it out. Im not a fan of painted chrome, but it does have the affect of smoothing out things too. I cant say I have ever seen a car with painted chrome grille, but non painted bumpers.. sounds interesting to say the least. I'll have to look around the hot rod pages to see if I can find examples... Im still routing for a corvette grille!

im gonna have to take a stab at this I think...
Old 09-13-2005, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I think axing the tear drops smooths it out. Im not a fan of painted chrome, but it does have the affect of smoothing out things too. I cant say I have ever seen a car with painted chrome grille, but non painted bumpers.. sounds interesting to say the least. I'll have to look around the hot rod pages to see if I can find examples... Im still routing for a corvette grille!

im gonna have to take a stab at this I think...
Here's an Olds with the bumper and the upper grill bar painted but the lower one chromed: http://www.carnut.com/cgi-bin/image....rc/merc153.jpg

By corvette grille, do you mean that big oval we tried out earlier? I bet that could be made from some stainless stock.

[Edited to add:]
Found a '48 convertible with the grill painted and the bumpers chromed:
http://www.carnut.com/cgi-bin/03/ima...pf/nat1261.jpg

Last edited by grouch; 09-13-2005 at 08:08 PM. Reason: found another example
Old 09-13-2005, 10:09 PM

Last photo:

okay I did a fast one.all I did was stick a 54 buick grill and headlights on it.. I guess that makes it look like a 54 buick... however I think you can knock everyother tooth out of that grille and make it look unique..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grouchgrille.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	6838  
Old 09-13-2005, 11:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
okay I did a fast one.all I did was stick a 54 buick grill and headlights on it.. I guess that makes it look like a 54 buick... however I think you can knock everyother tooth out of that grille and make it look unique..
That frenches the headlights some, too. That grill does look a lot better, imo, than the original sad looking thing. I'll try it with some teeth knocked out. Thanks!

I've been tinkering with making the fenders cone-shaped where the headlights are and putting the turn signal/parking light there, then putting rectangular headlights where the vents are now. If it gets too radical, I could always make fiberglass copies of the fenders and do the mods on the copies.

[Edited to add:]
Attachment is what I have so far.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Olds49-rect.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	6840  

Last edited by grouch; 09-13-2005 at 11:33 PM. Reason: add attachment
Old 09-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!

Last photo:

i think the one with the 54 grill looks nice.

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.