new vortec 5.7 99' escalade - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 10:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

new vortec 5.7 99' escalade

Hey guys I just bought a new vortec 350, that was a core at the salvage yard. I removed the plugs and it was spinning pretty freely.

I pulled the pan and everything is intact and looked BRAND NEW, infact All the rods and rod caps had 1-8 etched into them so I'm pretty It's been rebuilt before. The crankshaft looked brand new as well.

I just couldn't figure out why this motor was a core and not good. I ran a compression test before I removed the 062 vortec heads and It was only showing 10-20 PSI on every cylinder...????.... I know it was cold and had no oil in it, but It should still be more then that....Right???
The cylinder walls were all smooth as glass and looked like chrome. Shouldn't they have a crosshatch to them faintly????

I even loosened all the rockers to make sure they didn't have the valves to tight but I still got the same readings for the PSI.

Is it possible that they just didn't hone it properly on the rebuild and it kept the rings from seating???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Cruzin w/Elvis in Bigfoots UFO

Last photo:

10 - 20 pounds on a compression test sounds pretty miserable alright.

The cylinders would exhibit the crosshatch like you say if it was in fact recently professionally rebuilt.

If the timing chain had slipped a couple of cogs you may have such a late closing intake that you get those dismal compression readings. How sloppy was / is it?

I wouldn't take the numbering on the con rod & caps as a sign that it has been rebuilt. How about fresh stampings on the crank like 010 /010 or something similar indicating it has been reground? Are the bearings GM original and standard size?

All may not be lost, it sounds like you've got a core to work with.

Oh yeah - what kind of ridge do you have at the top of the cylinder? That's a good indicator of wear.

Last edited by Rustydawg; 11-02-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:41 AM

Last photo:

vortec 5.7

Dawg,

No ridge at all, Looks like someone just flatstone honed it and went to far, pistons are slightlt under 4" or right at it and the bore is 4.013, and smooth as glass or chrome. I can't find any stamp on the crank, All the bearings are in great shape, Not a scratch or scuff on them. The crank casting # say's its a steel vette crank so I'd bet its new and not what came in the motor. oh well, I'm gonna take her to +.030 Cross hatch hone and throw it back together,..... with new bearings, ect and F/T pistons

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.