New welder - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

There are so many weld techniques it would take a while to explain.Oldred is right,But like he say's mainly on panel use the spot weld.I know how to do it,And I have never had a problem,The key to a good weld is penetration,And years of welding.

P.S. I'm not tring to get in a welding contest with anyone just tring to help.

Advertisement

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 12-27-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2007, 09:13 AM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:

re: New welder

Well i tried some different settings, and got a better weld than my first try. But my feed seems to stop and go, so it makes it hard to keep a weld going. Maybe i have my wire adjuster to tight, or something else is wrong. Sure is going to take me some time to get it set up right. I will post a pic of what my last weld looks like, and then go from there. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwood
Well i tried some different settings, and got a better weld than my first try. But my feed seems to stop and go, so it makes it hard to keep a weld going. Maybe i have my wire adjuster to tight, or something else is wrong. Sure is going to take me some time to get it set up right. I will post a pic of what my last weld looks like, and then go from there. Thanks again for all the help.
Don't put it to tight.Hold the wire,And start to tighten down a little to it start's to push the wire,while you hold a little tension on the wire.If you put it to tight it will scar the wire and every time it passes through the tip,It will stop.And go.Hope this helps you.And also don't put it to tight were it holds the wire in the box.On the spool.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Don't put it to tight.Hold the wire,And start to tighten down a little to it start's to push the wire,while you hold a little tension on the wire.If you put it to tight it will scar the wire and every time it passes through the tip,It will stop.And go.Hope this helps you.And also don't put it to tight were it holds the wire in the box.On the spool.

I will go back out and check that, may be my problem. Hear is a pic of my second time with this welder on 16 gauge. Its ok to have fun with this, as i know it looks like****. But i will keep trying, but i got good penetration. I will try to get a better closeup, as these dont look good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00004-small.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	26472   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00005=small.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	26473  

Last edited by Mrwood; 12-28-2007 at 09:46 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-28-2007, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

That's not bad at all,Try coming in and out of the puddle a little,Not much!! You may be letting it build up a little to much.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
That's not bad at all,Try coming in and out of the puddle a little,Not much!! You may be letting it build up a little to much.
Ok ill try that. I just went out and adjusted the tension on my wire, and that was what causing my wire to stop and go on me, so i should get a better weld now. Im trying to learn how to weld in a C motion, but i think it will take some time. Right now i just want to get a good clean weld and ill be happy.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Ok ill try that. I just went out and adjusted the tension on my wire, and that was what causing my wire to stop and go on me, so i should get a better weld now. Im trying to learn how to weld in a C motion, but i think it will take some time. Right now i just want to get a good clean weld and ill be happy.
You don't have to work and a c motion,With a mig,If you go in and out,Just a little bit,Not much.It may be a little easier for you.Try that and post some pics,And i will help you out. c motion is good to learn but it will come.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
You don't have to work and a c motion,With a mig,If you go in and out,Just a little bit,Not much.It may be a little easier for you.Try that and post some pics,And i will help you out. c motion is good to learn but it will come.

What kind of angle should i hold my gun, i may be holding it to high, but dont know. I think ill have this down in a couple of more days. Ill keep trying till im happy with it, but im having fun right now. You guys are sure a big help to me, as its not easy to weld when your almost blind, but im happy with what i have done so far with this new welder. I did notice a little slag, so may have to turn my gauge up a little. Im done for today, time to take my medicine, but will be back at it tomorrow ok. Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
What kind of angle should i hold my gun, i may be holding it to high, but dont know. I think ill have this down in a couple of more days. Ill keep trying till im happy with it, but im having fun right now. You guys are sure a big help to me, as its not easy to weld when your almost blind, but im happy with what i have done so far with this new welder. I did notice a little slag, so may have to turn my gauge up a little. Im done for today, time to take my medicine, but will be back at it tomorrow ok. Thanks again.
First off take care of your self.Play with the angle a little,And it will come to you.Lots of practice, And you will be a pro!! It takes time.If I was there it would be a lot easier for me to show you.I showed my son when he was about 10 yrs old.I had to stop,he was getting to good. LOL He pick it up very fast.If I could see you welding I could tell you what you are doing wrong.But so far I think you are on your way!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I did notice a little slag, so may have to turn my gauge up a little.
What you are seeing is the Silicon that is used as a de-oxidizer in the wire composition to help it to weld over impurities in the base metal such as metal oxides and millscale, this is harmless and normal. Silicon and Manganese are used as de-oxidizers and while the Manganese simply becomes part of the weld the Silicon will solidify on top of the bead sort of like small areas of amber colored glass. To set the gas flow it is best to turn the flow down until you start getting porosity in the weld while welding on a piece of scrap, then increase the flow until the porosity just disappears then add a couple of CFH(or PSI depending on your gauge scale). Turning up the flow more than what is needed to prevent porosity will not hurt anything except your wallet as it will waste gas but it will not help anything either. It is VERY common advice, even in a lot of welding manuals, to turn up the flow if there is a draft in order to prevent porosity but the fact is this rarely if ever helps much and the solution to draft problems is to remove the draft by avoiding trying to weld outdoors, closing doors, turning off fans, setting up "wind breaks", etc. The flaw to that advice about increasing flow is that it assumes the shielding gas is being blown away but that is not the problem, if the breeze is strong enough to actually blow away the gas then not much of anything is going to help except eliminating the breeze. The real problem is that in a draft the shielding gas will become contaminated with atmospheric gases and will lose it's ability to shield the weld puddle even though it still may cover it and turning up the flow is not going to do much to solve that problem.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 AM

Last photo:

That's good information Oldred!!I can tell you have been around,
Old 12-28-2007, 12:18 PM

Last photo:

Well ill just keep on welding, and ill catch on before long. I have already had enough help to get me started, so now its just practice. Ill post some more photos in the next couple of days to see if i have improved at all. This will give you all a rest before you cut me off.LOL
Old 12-30-2007, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

re: New welding photos

Ok i tried some new welds. Let me know what you think, as i have alot to learn. If these dont show up good enough then check my Photo Album. But please give me some feedback. I am getting good penetration, but would like to know how to flatten my welds out a little more so they are not to high. But they hold good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00011-small.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	26566   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00012-small.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	26567   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00021-small.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	26568  
Old 12-30-2007, 02:22 PM

Last photo:

The key to a really good looking weld is to move steady, every little flinch or movement will show in the weld bead when you are finished. Just keep practicing and it will soon become easy, I guarantee it!
Old 12-30-2007, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
The key to a really good looking weld is to move steady, every little flinch or movement will show in the weld bead when you are finished. Just keep practicing and it will soon become easy, I guarantee it!
Oldred is right the key word is steady!!It does look very good,keep practicing,And most of all have fun.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.