Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New to welding. MIG or flux core.
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 03:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'll chime in here. If I were you even though you say that you will only be welding a little,spend the money you won't regret it! I was in this very same predicament and ended up buying a used Century unit it's Ok but the new Lincoln's or Miller's are much better for a variety of reason's one being weight! The older units are HEAVY! Not to mention they are not as good at what they do period. I also would recommend the Hobart because as stated before they are the same as the National Brand that was mentioned and there cheaper over all. If money is the issue simply buy the unit and do not get the gas set up but make sure that it is capable of using it (gas) that is. I have a Bud who did this and saved a bit more and added the bottle a little later on when he had it. You won't regret doing it right. Overall the Mig with shielded gas (argon) is the very best way to go! I would not buy a flux core machine.....
Good Luck