Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New to welding. MIG or flux core.
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 05:05 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgorq
I am fairly new to welding. I did some stick welding 20+ years ago. I recently got set up with a stick welder and realized after fighting it for a few hours that it just will not work for sheet metal. It works great for 1/8 to 1/4 tubing. I need to Get either a flux core or MIG with the gas. Obviously the gas set up costs a more so My question is what are the advantages to the gas over the flux core. I have been looking at several and due to a tight budget I am looking for inexpensive but not cheap. Can I get good results from the flux core or are the advantages of the gas worth the extra couple hundred dollars. Any recommendations on good priced reliable welders would be welcome also. And what to look for in features. What are the must haves and the not so important.
Definately get a gas welder, stay away from flux core for sheetmetal. Make sure you can buy all the consumables that you will need for whichever welder you go with. You will need tips, nozzles, liners and maybe diffusers. Most of these are readily available if you buy a name brand welder.