new welding wire - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2004, 01:40 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Welding safety

Hopefully it is a given that people use the correct gear..have a well ventilated area to work in..use a respirator if needed and make informed judgements as to the materials and equipment that they are using..

For most of us in the hobby world we are not experiencing the sort of exposure that one could get in an industrial (regular job) type of environment..

Given that the money spent on safety equipment is well spent..WE do buy the fire suit and helmet and put roll cages in these things..That is if we desire to get fished out of the wreckage and be racing again next week..Or be able to breath and live a long life..

It is up to the indivdual to make an informed judgement as to the safety and viablity of any tool and or technique used in his shop..

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2004, 08:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

VIN-Read the MSDS sheet, that wire is no more dangerous than most other wires out there. It is not as bad as flux core gassless wire, nickel rods for cast iron, and a host of other welding wires and rods. Any welding needs caution applied and this wire does not need any special treatment. I have no idea what could have scared those guys but to say that this stuff is more hazardous than most any thing else out there is just plain bull$#!#.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2004, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

New welding wire

Just purchased a 10/lb spool of 20 gauge wire from my local National Welders Supply for $51.60. This is higher than what has been posted here. Will use it on my Lincoln SP250.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

Just purchased a 10lb roll for $32.00 ..... I have played around with it and it seems to be VERY easy to work with!!!

THANKS

bg

Old 10-15-2004, 08:09 AM

I weld for a living now but got out of the wire world a while back,if you read the msds in a can of rod,you may get out of it what I do,that is,you will die a horrible death,just like many other things out there. You guys got me curious about this stuff,so I ran it by a friend whos still in it and asked what the deal is,he said it has a thin outer shell with powder like you say so your depositing less metal like a small wire over a wider area thus making for a less consontrated heat distrubution,Ill bet it would have even less bite with strait argon,if you feel like playing around. Im going to try some myself. A tip for you guys,get some steel tig rod,maybe a couple differant sizes, and when you run into a gap type situation,lay it in the gap so you dont have as much to fill,makes for a lot less heat,saves from makin holes and keeps the warpage factor down.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:21 PM

I've heard about tig rod for filling gaps..sounds interesting
Old 10-24-2004, 06:55 PM

Last photo:

The original description of the benefits of this wire was, "it creates a flat weld with very little spatter, makin it easier to grind"

This sounds to me like regular flux cored wire. I'm curious to know if you guys are getting hosed.

We ran flux core wire at the vocational school where I earned all my welding certs, and we only had about 4 setup for regular MIG wire. All the flux cored wire was double shielded. The welds come out smooth as glass and the slag from the flux core just slides off.

The reason flux core is such crap to use normally is because the flux goes bad from moisture in the air, the same way an arc welding rod would go bad. I've had 2 rolls go bad on my flux core welder now. It's like trying to weld with the gas turned off on a regular MIG roll.

If I'm wrong and this is really good stuff, I apologize, but I challenge you guys to try to run a basic flux cored wire with the gas on and see if you have the same results, because that's what it sound like to me.

Pinholes can be caused by the coring of the wire if you're passing over an area before chipping the slag off. You have to be careful when running a bead not to pass over the same area twice. Also clean every area off before you go to run a second pass, or fill a previously missed spot. Pinholes can also be caused by not running a tight enough bead. Of course these situations usually occur when welding thicker materials, in most autobody cases, frame welding. For regular panels, you should only be running a small bead, or tacking, depending on what size wire, what your welder can do, etc.

Mathius
Old 10-24-2004, 07:49 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

20 gauge wire

No one is getting hosed here..20 gauge wire is one that is specially made for welding thin sections..works much better than solid wire or flux cored wire..makes a nice bead and does not "go bad" as you describe about flux core..

No it is not a flux core with the gas on..
Old 10-24-2004, 09:58 PM

Yea,Im pretty sure this was a different deal from the guy I talked to who is definitely up on his stuff,who runs dual shield day in day out,hey,someone try some strait argon and tell me how it works,one of you guys gotta have access to some don cha? If it works,that would be the sweeeet deal on thin stuff,a lot less heat penetration,less holes,less warp,easier to fill.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:15 AM

20 Gage distributors listed by state. http://www.jwharris.com/TwentyGauge/distributors/
Old 10-28-2004, 05:04 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

i,m just taking a weling night course at my voc.tech. school and this thread has a lot of great ideas i'm glad i found it. i'm going to pick up a bottle of gas this week for my machine and the supplyer i'm useing is on the list so i'm going to get some thanks guys!

Last edited by helrazr3; 10-28-2004 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:01 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

Old 11-02-2004, 04:52 PM

JWH twenty guage

sorry folks, i mistakenly put a post concerning this wire in the "introduce yourself forum". please go there & read it. it's good stuff! ( the wire i mean!) i'm a proffessional welder & i think you'll find my post to be informative & i hope helpful.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:11 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

The powdered metal core to increase contact area is a great idea! I guess they call it "Twenty Gauge" because it welds like a 0.020" wire would.

One of the guys I worked with back in Gulfport was using flux core wire with straight CO2 gas. Works great! The argon/CO2 mix wasn't available through any of the local suppliers, and argon was only readily available in the big tanks. I bought a 110V MIG about 18 months ago and just used flux core to do a couple small jobs. Before I weld again I'll be getting a bottle, even if it is straight CO2! The flux core spatters to much and doesn't leave a nice bead. I was a welding instructor for the USAF until eight months ago. It was a little embarrassing not being able to lay a nice bead with that little flux core welder!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:09 AM

Last photo:

Over the years I have seen gas tried on gasless wire a number of times with very little or no effect on the weld. One must consider the main purpose of shielding gas,that is to protect the molten puddle from atmospheric contamination. I am well aware that different gasses affect the weld in different ways such as penetration depth and spatter but the same flux action and shielding gasses produced from the material contained in gasless wire to protect that weld puddle will also shield it from any gas from the welding gun. Any shielding gas used on gasless wire is simply wasted as the weld is protected from the atmosphere by it's own gases and the added gas cannot reach the weld to have any appreciable effect. I have used gasless(inner-shield)wire for well over 30 years in sizes ranging from .030 to 1/8" and steel sizes from body panels to over 14" thick plate and we have tried a little of everything over the years to get better results from this stuff with little luck. Your friend was probably using duel-shield flux-cored wire which requires gas and is completely different than gasless wire but similar to 20 gauge. If you are going to use gas(which is strongly recommended!)then you need to pick up some solid wire or the 20 gauge type wire otherwise you will simply waste your gas and $ using shielding gas on self shielding wire.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.