new welding wire - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2004, 01:02 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Well I think this stuff is basically an all steel wire,just the core is powdered metal instead of flux,so you do run it like hard wire,thats why I wanted to see how it worked on strait argon,so there would be no splatter and the heat would travel out instead of bitting in,or a mix with the argon percentage high.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2004, 07:29 AM

Last photo:

rifraf-On a properly set welder using C/25 the bead is flat and smooth with almost no spatter and penetration is about right where it should be. 20 gauge was developed for very light sheet and C/25 has the best characteristics for that purpose with this wire and is the only shielding gas recommended by the manufacturer. Welding is a lot like painting,that is if you stray from the manufacturers guidelines you do so at your own risk. Now after saying all that I still like to experiment so I tried 100% CO2 and got unsatisfactory results. I have not tried pure argon but I don't think it would work very well either. Most cored wires are a mild steel tube with different metal alloys in powder form contained inside with the fluxing agents just as most alloy steel welding rods contain the metal alloys as a powder in the flux coating. But that is a subject for a different forum. For body work and thin metal parts 20 gauge with C/25 works better than ANY wire I have ever used.

Last edited by oldred; 11-10-2004 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:11 PM

Well I agree with what you say,but I can tell you for certain that the results of argon vs co2 are worlds apart,the argon doesn't have the penetrating ability and thats just the very reason I thought it would be so great on light gauge stuff,plus its smooth,see where Im going with this? The recommended procedures are typically made to suit multiple needs for the masses,but as a welder I know that often times procedures are developed and certified for unique applications,thats why I felt argon would be so good on thin stuff,If I did a lot of thin stuff,I would want any advantage I could get. You never know till ya try,I think it would work outstanding on thin stuff from what I know of it,thats why I would like to see how it works,I would have guessed co2 to be a bad combo.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

rifraf-I probably would have tried argon if I had some in the shop,like you say one will never know for sure until they try. The smoothest,easiest welding wire I have ever used is Hobart excell-arc 71 duel shield which runs really good on C/25 almost as good on CO/2 but not very well at all on pure argon. I truly wish they made that stuff in .030 but .045 is the smallest I have seen and that is to big for body work. The makers of 20 gauge sell it to be used on the thinest panels likely to be welded and aim it specifically at body shops and hobbyists so I can only assume that they reccomend C/25 because it is the best choice for that purpose. If you try argon be sure and let us know how it works.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:30 PM

welding wire

Do you think this wire would do a decent job with a Miller 175 MIG?

Do you know a part number?
Old 11-11-2004, 07:32 PM

20 ga.

firebird red, yes the "20" guage will run on a 175 miller. i have a lincoln "sp175 plus" & this wire runs quite well in it & in my opinion the miller is a better machine. i welded proffessionally for twenty yrs. ( i now work for a welding supply co. & sell welders & mig wire. ) i've run a million miles of many types of mig wire with many different types of gas. 75% argon 25% co2 is the gas that should be used with "20 ga". the only use i know of for pure argon while mig welding is for aluminum. another hint for all you guys when running "20 ga." or solid wire, co2 is ok for running hot on heavy material but it still makes for bad splatter & doesn't run well at cooler temps. on lighter material like most of us are using on our car projects. i know it's cheaper, but if things are that tight why are you hot rod building anyway!?!?
Old 11-13-2004, 10:38 PM

So this cored wire used with C25 gas...

Do you used it DCEP or DCEN?

Has anyone found an online seller?
Old 11-14-2004, 08:45 AM

firebird red,
it's electrode +, ground - .
Old 11-15-2004, 03:55 AM

I tried the "Twenty Gauge" this past week repairing floor pans in a '54 F-100. I have a Lincoln 175 Plus mig and used the 75/25 mix. This wire is awesome! I have done quite a bit of welding over the years but am fairly new to mig and this stuff makes even a "so-so" welder look like a pro. I bought mine in Hammond La. 10 lb. spool ran $59.90 tax included. Give it a try, I believe you will like it.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:50 AM
More Horsepower Than Brains

Last journal entry: Check it out
Last photo:

new welding wire

Hey guys,
I went looking for that new 20ga wire, it was hard to find, but I finally managed to get 2 10# rolls. If you like it and want some you better get it because I was told it has been discontinued. The Harris distributer in Houston had 9 boxes when I order mine a couple of weeks ago.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

risaacp- I cannot for the life of me imagine why they would drop something that works this good--BUT, I have noticed that the link to the 20 ga. site appears to be dead! I hope its not true but it looks like it may be.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:57 PM
More Horsepower Than Brains

Last journal entry: Check it out
Last photo:

oldred,

Thats what the rep said, must not have caught on or wasn't advertised well enough. If you want some you better get on the stick!!
Old 11-26-2004, 08:44 AM

20 gauge

they still show the 20 gauge on the j.w. harris website. if they really are dropping it, i'm going to buy up all i can.

btw i also encourage all you guys to go to the j.w. harris site & contact them & let them know how much you like the wire. tell them to advertise in the rod magazines. jwharris.com

Last edited by bluechev; 11-26-2004 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:12 PM

Hi,

I bought 2 10lb spools and 1 small spool about a month a ago. I havent had a chance to try it yet, but i hope it not decontinuied (based on what ive learned here). Please post if you learn any thing on its availabity. Has any ever used siicon bronze for mig on body panels? I have used it for TIG welding on panels and its super. I bought some for mig but havent tried it yet . (if you get the impression Im kinda lazy you may be right!)

Thanks
Jeff
Old 11-30-2004, 07:08 PM

Maybe they need to come up with a better name that doesn't sound like a different common wire and confuse people like light gauge or something.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.